Problem with a119v3 starting up.

As I've posted a few times, you need to be careful where you tap into.

These add on units (dashcam, SatNav etc) need a circuit that doesn't cut out when the starter motor cranks, and there are a lot that do. This puts the unit into a startup/shutdown confusion. This is more of a problem with stop/start vehicles. One benefit of the Viofo is the startup delay setting that can often help.
yep, I do have a stop/start, but this wasn’t a problem with my v1 until I replaced it with the v3. Working solid for a few years until white screen of death.

Also tried using the other hardwire kit for my back cam. Works fine. Changed all fuses too, still same issue

My guess is the old dash cam hwk is cactus. I can deduct this because the same line I tapped the V3 cam is the accessory line - same one ive got the USB cig lighter connected in to - which works just fine.

Either that, or the newer cams require a bit more juice on boot.

Next step is to put in a 3 wire kit, which I didn’t really want to do in case it one day fails and eats the battery, but oh well!

Interesting update. Wired a new 2 wire kit in (supplies from the VIOFO AU domain store).

If I turn the ACC on, camera will not power on. My back cam on a different hwk does, however. Business as usual. But, If I turn the car on completely, ipowers on fine.

If the car turns the engine off while stopped at the lights, the camera powers off. When I give the accelerator a push and the engine turns back on, the camera comes back to life.

Seems as if the V3 is very power hungry. Or the HWK not allowing it to boot due to a faulty/low charged battery - seems unlikely that my battery is cactus, as I got it replaced a short time ago.

Another observation is that this never happened on the same ACC circuit if using the viofo supplied USB cable, which was of a much thicker gauge.

Interesting.

so my UK Nextbase HWK must have a sufficient power output, although mine is the series 1, not this one:

Nextbase 5v 1.5a :

Viofo 5v 2a (max) :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07KZGM9LS

Last edited:
I have found that if I visit a garage to fill up and switch the engine off but leave it so wife can listen to radio, if I then don’t turn ignition off completely before starting engine the camera stops recording. Camera needs to reboot, then it records normally. Hope this makes sense

Yes it does and I've had the same. I assume the cam needs a period of time to fully shutdown before starting up again.

This is where I think stop/start vehicles can cause issues.

Yes it does and I've had the same. I assume the cam needs a period of time to fully shutdown before starting up again.

This is where I think stop/start vehicles can cause issues.

If the issue annoys you enough, you can always invest in a (Start Stop) - Delete/Disable/Eliminator.

A google search should yield you with plenty of results.

Doesn't affect me as I have got stop/start but a useful idea :)

Back