Problem with different Color Saturation from two Black Box B40A118 Camera.

BurritoJoe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I figured I've start a new thread regarding color saturation since the one I started a year ago isn't getting a response. Basically I bought two black box B40A118 camera from Amazon from the same seller, but the color saturation is very different. I bought the first one about 9 months ago and it had really bright and very nice saturation. Then this week, I decided to buy another one, however the color saturation not very colorful and look slightly darker or have too much contrast. The setting from both are the same 0EV, hdr on, 1080 resolution, 60hz.

I just want to know what is causing this difference because I'm think about return the new one because the colors looks awful compare to the old one.

Here's a screenshot taken by the new and old camera. They were taken on different day, but the time and location is almost the same.

New Black Box (NonSaturated Colors).jpg Old Black Box (Saturated Colors).jpg

even if they're from the same seller there's no guarantee that they are from the same manufacturer and a good chance even if they were that the hardware had changed anyway, 9 months is close to forever in generic products

even if they're from the same seller there's no guarantee that they are from the same manufacturer and a good chance even if they were that the hardware had changed anyway, 9 months is close to forever in generic products

So you are telling me that even though I bought it from the same seller, which in this case is Top Auto Gadgets via Amazon, from this website https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00TXR2P40 , I will still receive a different video quality? Could this just be a simply firmware update problem, in which I can just download a particular firmware to make the new camera record video like the old one or is it that the hardware is just different. If that the case, I think I will return it since the new one looks horrible.

Both camera are currently in my car and it's late in the middle of the night as I'm typing, so I will have to get back to you regarding the firmware version when I can in the morning. But please keep me updated about this problem. Just for reference, I even bought two other B40A118 camera before this from AUTO-VOX and SpyTec and these two almost looks like the new Black Box I got. I return the Auto-Vox, but kept the Spytec because I really need a dash cam at the time. When I got my first Black Box camera, I was amazed how much better the image were. If the image can simply be fix using another firmware that would be great, since I hate having to return stuff to Amazon.

Post the version numbers when you can

New Camera firmware version = "BlackBox.20160623"
Old Camera firmware version = "B40C.20150116.001"

There obvious something different no just the date of the firmware but the name before it, the new one has the word black box while the old one uses B40.

ok, think you'll find this one is one of the copy versions that is out now, the hardware is not identical, some people have tried running the Viofo firmware on those but it seems they are not stable, that would prevent you being able to return it also so I'd probably suggest not trying that if you have the option of returning it anyway

ok, think you'll find this one is one of the copy versions that is out now, the hardware is not identical, some people have tried running the Viofo firmware on those but it seems they are not stable, that would prevent you being able to return it also so I'd probably suggest not trying that if you have the option of returning it anyway

What does this means when you said it was a copy version? Are the lens and chipset different?

Back