Problem with my 70mai Pro

D.OW

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Hello everyone.
I've received my 70mai pro few days ago and I need opinion from you guys is this kind of footage normal for this dashcam?
In the daylight it kinda looks ok but you really cannot read any licence plates if you don't come really close to the cars.
On the night footage you can't see much from the headlights. Also look at the lights on the streets and on the gas pump signs. Looks like camera cannot focus very well.
I've received my camera like this

but after few minutes condensation has dried off. Could it be that the condensation from inside the lense has stained the glass and camera cannot focus because of that?
After I saw the night footage I though maybe there is plastic protection on the lense and that I maybe forgot to peel it off but there is nothing there..
Camera is running on the latest firmware.

What resolution is it firming?

Either your lens or your windshield needs cleaning. Use windex to get the regular grime off your windshield, as much as possible. Then scrub your windshield with a Magic Eraser and some soapy water, and rinse. Trust me, it's the only thing that works. Then windex again to remove any lingering soap or grease.
Lens cleaning should be done with extreme care and only with a lens cleaning cloth.

if you use Windex you need to make sure it's the non ammonia type otherwise you'll end up with a film buildup on the windows shortly after

for non ammonia window cleaners look for something which is labeled as being safe for use on tinted windows

What resolution is it firming?
I am recording in 1440p. I have the same problems if I bump the resolution to 1944p.

Either your lens or your windshield needs cleaning. Use windex to get the regular grime off your windshield, as much as possible. Then scrub your windshield with a Magic Eraser and some soapy water, and rinse. Trust me, it's the only thing that works. Then windex again to remove any lingering soap or grease.
Lens cleaning should be done with extreme care and only with a lens cleaning cloth.

if you use Windex you need to make sure it's the non ammonia type otherwise you'll end up with a film buildup on the windows shortly after

for non ammonia window cleaners look for something which is labeled as being safe for use on tinted windows
After I saw first few videos I was trying to clean windshield multiple times. It looked squeaky clean from the outside and the inside but problem is still there. Windshield is little bit scratched from the wipers but those scratches are really far from the lense.
I will try to clean it up a few more times, maybe it got gunk up when I used some products from AliExpress as a Anti-Fog solution. That was a year ago and it worked really good, but even after drying the glass and buffing it off windshield and other glass inside the car felt slick and little bit greasy.
As for cleaning the lense. I've cleaned it up with microfiber cloths (the ones you get when you buy the protective glass for your phone) and it looks really clean. I can't really see any water or condensation spots inside the glass on the lense.
It's really weird but I will post an update if I figure out what is cousing this problem.

To see whether your windshield is having an effect, take the cam off the mount and do a short recording with the cam held outside (no glass) and then the same shot with the cam installed normally and compare the two recordings on your computer. You do have some issues with the windshield- I'm seeing some pretty strong dash reflections and I'm seeing 'flares' from streetlamps. When those 'flares' don't change angle as you drive past the lights, it's usually a dirty or sand-blasted windshield. When they move across in an arc when you pass the light it's a wiper-scratched windshield. Dash reflections can usually be solved with a CPL filter.

Still the video looks out of focus to me so do the unmounted no-glass cam check, and if that video isn't clear and sharp then you've got a focus problem. At that point you'll need to return the cam under warranty for repair or replacement. Lenses can be refocused at home but it can be a tricky job so it is not recommended if your warranty is still in effect.

Phil

I've figured it out. Few days ago while preparing my car for the long trip I've saw same glares looking at the garage light through the windshield. You can see them only looking at certain angle but looking at the light through the windshield looks the same as the glare from the video. I don't know how but a lot of scratches and bad wipers from last owner probably caused that. I doubt polishing the glass can help, but I will certainly give it a go.

@D.OW You might want to price around for a new or good used windshield. If there's not anything up there like a radio antenna or numerous sensors it might not be too expensive. My windshield is far beyond saving and I know someone here who will find and install a good used one with no scratches for just $200 so that's my plan come springtime.

Phil

That is definitely a dirty lens/haze on the windscreen. My experience is 1940p resolution on h265 settings.
That yields the best picture/clarity.

But again, dependent on how clean the windscreen and lens is. I detail my car every 2nd week and my windscreen is coated with ceramic, so i don't have issues of traffic grease/grime.

Same here, as you can see the below images,
my 70mai s1 can't focusing and can't reading license plates. Does any one know how to resolve this problem?

IMG20210414-195104-000004.JPG

Attachments

• IMG20210414-195637-000013.JPG
    IMG20210414-195637-000013.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG20210414-195633-000012.JPG
    IMG20210414-195633-000012.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG20210414-195203-000010.JPG
    IMG20210414-195203-000010.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20210415-083955-000017.JPG
    IMG20210415-083955-000017.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210415_102810.jpg
    20210415_102810.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 6
not as bad, still not good, either lens or window is dirty, or focus is off, could improve it a bit but there are still limitations of what it's capable of

not as bad, still not good, either lens or window is dirty, or focus is off, could improve it a bit but there are still limitations of what it's capable of
basically license plate can be to read.

Looks like lens/sensor alignment is off. Can do a focal point test, bring a sheet of newspaper from very close and slowly further away. At some point it'll be sharp, then you know how far off the focus is. Not that you can fix it (unless you open it up and try?), but at least it confirms the problem.

Back