Problem with starting new device

iHadTo

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi Everyone,

I've just purchased A139 2CH. Wanted to set it on my desk before installing in car but I stumbled into a problem(s)...

1. I could not get it to boot from Anker Power Port desktop USB power supply. It only booted when connected via USB in my PC. It wouldn't work via USB-C though - had to use USB-B port.

2. Once booted only REC light is on (constantly). The MIC, GPS or Wi-Fi never come on. Pressing buttons does nothing. I hear beeps, but nothing else. Tried turning the WiFi on - only hear 2 or 3 beeps. Pressing Power button only produces single beep without any other effect (light is still on). Pressing REC or MIC does nothing. The device doesn't record - memory card is empty. I tried resetting (via side button) - it just restarts. I tried installing new firmware - it did seem to do install it - the REC light blinked then it seemed to have restarted but back to start - only REC is on and nothing else is happening. Tried 2 different memory cards - Samsung Endurance Pro 128 GB and SanDisk Ultra 32GB - no effect.

I'm out of ideas.

Bricked?

Hi Everyone,

I've just purchased A139 2CH. Wanted to set it on my desk before installing in car but I stumbled into a problem(s)...

1. I could not get it to boot from Anker Power Port desktop USB power supply. It only booted when connected via USB in my PC. It wouldn't work via USB-C though - had to use USB-B port.

2. Once booted only REC light is on (constantly). The MIC, GPS or Wi-Fi never come on. Pressing buttons does nothing. I hear beeps, but nothing else. Tried turning the WiFi on - only hear 2 or 3 beeps. Pressing Power button only produces single beep without any other effect (light is still on). Pressing REC or MIC does nothing. The device doesn't record - memory card is empty. I tried resetting (via side button) - it just restarts. I tried installing new firmware - it did seem to do install it - the REC light blinked then it seemed to have restarted but back to start - only REC is on and nothing else is happening. Tried 2 different memory cards - Samsung Endurance Pro 128 GB and SanDisk Ultra 32GB - no effect.

I'm out of ideas.

Bricked?
Im having similar problems.
First thing is you must use the official USB cable that comes with kit. Plug that directly into a USB charger plug directly to mains power outlet.
As ive said in another thread Viofo support is useless, they are not responding and the hardware is very buggy. Im looking to send mine back but no one is responding on how to do that. Im lucky i bought it with paypal and ill be opening a dispute with them.

Im having similar problems.
First thing is you must use the official USB cable that comes with kit. Plug that directly into a USB charger plug directly to mains power outlet.
As ive said in another thread Viofo support is useless, they are not responding and the hardware is very buggy. Im looking to send mine back but no one is responding on how to do that. Im lucky i bought it with paypal and ill be opening a dispute with them.

I’ve used original cable to connect in the car, too — same story.

I’ve managed to get hold of local distributor. We’ve gone through checks over a speakerphone. They confirmed it is not working properly and the device is going back to them for further checks/repairs.

I only managed to find out there are part inside that can be faulty and can be replaced.

It may not be the cam but in how you are powering it. Viofo's are known for needing a more robust power supply than most cams with a 2A minimum being advisable. Many computers/USB car ports/wall-powered USB adapters and car-type USB adapters are insufficient, with many rated for more than they can actually deliver.

The better way to test is to use the supplied plug-in power supply in the car with the engine running as that should provide sufficient power. Also remember to format the card in the cam as that is necessary to ensure proper functioning. Ig the cam still doesn't work properly try it without the rear cam to ensure that it isn't a problem there causing the problems to occur. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Phil

I think it is working correctly...

If you power it from a PC then it ought to go into card reader mode, so the buttons should not work, but you should be able to see its files on your PC.
If you power it from a USB-C PD port then it will not work as the port will not provide power!

So find a USB-A phone charger or powerbank, and plug it into that via a USB-A to USB-C cable, or plug it into your car using the Viofo supplied charger and cable...

Before plugging into PC I tried plugging it into highly capable Anker power supply - it did nothing for some reason. Even though I tried both high and low power sockets.
I did plug it to the car, too - it did exactly the same thing - nothing.

While over the phone I discussed this with the distributor and he asked me to remove the memory card and then plug it into the PC - it should make beeping sound communicating that it doesn't have a memory card - it do not. For the distributor it was confirmation there was something clearly wrong.

They should receive the camera for the complaint tomorrow and after the weekend I should have some feedback from the supplier.

Before plugging into PC I tried plugging it into highly capable Anker power supply - it did nothing for some reason.
If it was a USB-C socket on the Anker then I would expect it to do nothing.

I did plug it to the car, too - it did exactly the same thing - nothing.
Did you use the Viofo charger? If you plugged it into a USB socket of any sort built into the car then I wouldn't expect it to do anything.

If it was a USB-C socket on the Anker then I would expect it to do nothing.
No, it was standard USB-A.

Did you use the Viofo charger? If you plugged it into a USB socket of any sort built into the car then I wouldn't expect it to do anything.
I used original Viofo USB charger - not the cigarette lighter socket.
It did exactly the same thing - just turned on without being responsive.

If it doesn't work over USB I'm returning it, I have a dedicated USB port next to the reverse mirror especially for the camera.

It will work fine from a USB A charging socket capable of providing sufficient power and if using a decent charging cable. 2 Amps is sufficient.

Did you try pressing the reset button?

It will work fine from a USB A charging socket capable of providing sufficient power and if using a decent charging cable. 2 Amps is sufficient.

Did you try pressing the reset button?

I did reset it.

Why wouldn’t it work over USB-C? Crappy tech?

In the car, you need to connect the USB-C to USB-A adapter to the USB-C connector,
and then connect the DVR to the adapter with a cable from USB-A to USB-C.
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Attachments

• Introduction to USB Type-C.zip
    389.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I did reset it.

Why wouldn’t it work over USB-C? Crappy tech?
Not sure, but it may have something to do with the parking signal not being understood by the power supply. It is definitely not a USB-PD device, and there is no good reason to spend extra fitting USB-PD interface chips to the interface, they would increase the price and waste some power! So it is a case of incompatibility rather than crappy, it is just not designed to be used that way.

As weird as it may sound when the camera arrived at the distributor's service it booted up from start perfectly.
They left it on for a night and called back they couldn't find anything wrong with it and sent it back to me.

As baffled as I could be I received the camera and it actually did work straight out of the box.

Anyways , it does work, whether plugged in via USB cable to wall socket, or USB charging hub - I will be installing it in the car tomorrow, will check if it works there then.

What's notable - it does work over USB-C! I bought a short 15cm USB-C <-> USB-C and it worked bang-on from wall charger.
Bought USB-A <-> USB-C adapter in case I have to go through the original cable though.

I actually tried 2 USB-C <-> USB-C cables and only one of them works. The other is not working at all for the camera - not even a blink of LED.

Camera fitted on a short (15cm) USB-C-to-USB-C cable to a connector next to rear view mirror.
Works perfectly.

Back