Problem with the Finevu CR-300HD internal battery

FRANKDELON

Reaction score
I have two CR-300HD bought on ebay about one year ago. One of the cameras does not save the last files anymore. When I turn off the car engine, the camera also turns off immediatelly without saving the current video. I think the internal battery which detects the lack of ACC from the car battery is not working. Is anybody experiencing a similar situation? Thanks.

will be a faulty battery, open it up and you may be able to change it, in the interim manually stop recordings before powering off to save losing your last file

I have the same problem. Bought two CR300 from Ebay and both of them only operates when I plug in the power from the car but not after I disconnect the power.

Have no idea where I can get to the Lithium battery inside the camera. Can you provide instructions on the battery replacement ?

I do have the similar situation for my CR-500HD which I bought it 2 months ago. The video cam does not save the last files & When turn off the power, it also turns off immediately. Plus when I put in on parking mode, and came back to start the engine, it don't save the last file too & the voice came out to tell me 'start normal recording'.
Now, sending e-mail back to the seller & see what can they do.

Hi, friends. I got to make The CR-300HD work properly by replacing the reservatory of the old battery by a new one with the same specs (3,7v 200mAh). The size of the new reservatory is important. It has to fit in the CR-300HD battery compartment. The code of my new battery is 401730p (similar size of the original). Please see the file attached. If you have any doubt, contact me at efdiesem2@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Attachments

• CR-300HD BATTERY REPLACEMENT.zip
    89.7 KB · Views: 55
Did anyone get a copy of that zip file, before it got removed?

Managed to buy the same batteries from China. Got them replaced and everything works as normal when new. Cost is US$15 each.....pricey but no other choice as it is impossible to obtain them locally

Problem is, the battery only have the red and black wires. The original has 3 wires....white, red and black. I did not connect the white wire to the new battery. Hope it does not have any major effect.

Now, I connect the CR300HD to ignition rather than 12volt direct. Hope that would prolong the life of the battery

20130908_201453_zpsbd5e3e57.jpg

FB_IMG_13786409460829795_zps28e7d0cf.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE

The replacement battery did not last as long. Perhaps the constant charging 24hrs operation screwed it.

Got me a Ipod2 battery and moved the battery outside of the CR300HD.

With the battery, I could take pictures, video for a much longer time than the original battery.

Let's see how long it would last in the car operating 24/7

20130928_222715_zps15d7fcd0.jpg

20130928_222725_zpsb26808e5.jpg

20130928_223009_zpsd7d07c79.jpg

Held the battery with a Velcro tape below the camera.

good fix , it might be helpful to use 12V motorbike battery by installing battery somewhere in the car. It'll be a constant power source and can be reacharged when car is running.

Having similar battery issues with my cr500hd... anyone have a link for replacement batteries?

Sounds FineVu Pro is a better choice, because it uses super cap. rather than battery.

So i took cbx750p's advice and swapped batteries to an ipod battery which I purchased from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003E4RP8E

All that's needed to make this battery to work is to reverses the connector pins, and drill a hole to feed the cable through. I wish the cable was a bit longer, but it will work without having to extend it.

I have had the new battery installed for a few days now and so far so good. By changing the battery I was able to fix the following issues:
"Please check the time settings" on startup.
Not saving the new files over the oldest files
Not saving the last file
No parking mode or motion detection

I will update again once the battery dies.

I purchased my CR-500HD in March of 2013.
By July of 2013, the internal battery died but FineVu USA replaced the whole unit for me.
Now, a year later, in August of 2014, the internal battery is again dead.
After reformatting the card and using CR-500HD_Settings.exe (with the correct date & time) all recordings start from 1/1/2012 12:00 pm.

I guess I'll be replacing the battery with an external one as well.
I'm glad CBX750P posted the workaround to the problem.

The CR-500HD is a nice camera but there's an obvious design flaw with the battery not lasting more than a year.
If I were purchasing another camera, I'd be purchasing a camera of a different manufacturer.

Last edited:
I am having the same issue with my cr-500hd and I purchased the iPod battery from Amazon like others above.

Now I'm trying to install it but having difficulty taking the unit apart. I got the first cover off and the two screws from following the instructions on blackboxmycar.com but am lost on what to do next without breaking something.

If anyone can help or post a little more detail that would be appreciated.

tia

Squeese the front lens sides by the lettering and give a good twist. Like some Pill bottles.

Malodave

Thanks.

Was able to add extensions to hook up the iPod battery so I could hide it instead of velocro'ing it to the underside of the camera for a more clean look. Didn't have to drill a hole either as the extension wires were flat/small enough to fit through an existing hole. Also if I have to change the battery in the future I just unplug the old and plug in the new without taking the whole camera apart.

Glad I found this thread otherwise I would've just bought another OEM battery and have it die again in a year.

Hi all,

I have a problem with the CR-300HD internal battery as well. I'm thinking of replacing the battery like in above. Wanted to find out from you guys whether replacing it would work. Saw the thread above that it lasts only 2 months. Would the 12V supply normally charge the internal battery as well? If I get an iPod battery, would it be charged by the 12V power input?

Any advice would be much appreciated, please.

Back