Problems since adding rear cam / hoping can be fixed by a firmware release

aaron10

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello all - Having a few reliability issues I'm hoping someone can give advice on.

I'm using the 512GW with the attached rear cam for the past 4 months.
Originally when I only had the front cam it was working 'OK' - not amazing (battery life is poor, sometimes it won't automatically start recording) but it was pretty reliable.
Since I attached the rear cam, I'm having serious reliability issues which has been very frustrating. Every single morning, the cam is dead when I get in the car. This could be after recording only 3-5 events, some of which only 10 seconds long. I notice that a lot of the time I cannot play the last videos, because they have become corrupted when the battery died.

I start the car and we can have 1 of 4 situations.
  1. I'll start driving and later realise that the screen is frozen on the picture from where I left home. I can't power off, even when I disconnect it from mount / rear cam. I need to press the tiny reset button and it will come back alive as normal. (20% of time)
  2. I'll start driving and later realise that the cam is ON but NOT recording. It's showing a live view on the screen but no recording. I can hit record and it will be fine. (20%)
  3. The front cam will record without any issues but the rear cam remains stuck at the picture from where I left home. (10%)
  4. It will work as normal. (50% of time)

I must also mention that sometimes it will work as normal but some time into my journey it will just stop recording where I have to press record again when I notice. This does not happen too often but have experienced it at least 5-10 times.

I have been checking the support page every single week hoping for a firmware fix for some of the above issues, but there have been no releases for at least those past 4 months. Is there anybody actively working on these bugs? Or are these all related to a hardware limitation (perhaps it can't handle the rear cam).

Would there even be a possibility to return both cams (still have original boxes) for refund, since this setup is not working for me.

Facts are:
  • Running latest fw (22.5).
  • Parking mode ON, G-Sensor Medium.
  • Drive 15 - 20 hours per week.
  • The mount is connected to the cigarette lighter which is only powered when the ignition is ON.
  • Using 120GB SanDisk Extreme SD card. Have also used with 64GB SanDisk Ultra card, same issues. Have formatted / overwritten card, same issues.
  • The battery indicator will show a full charge after 15-30 mins of driving.
  • I do plug it in via USB from time to time, probably monthly.
  • I also format on the cam maybe twice per month.

Thank you!

First thing I would do is to switch off parking mode. I found it drained the battery every night after I attached the rear camera. It's not a proper solution but it's the only thing I could do to "fix" the battery drain problem.
Second thing is to contact Nextbase support about the freezing and non-recording issues. My friend has the same problem when he attached the rear camera. Nextbase sent him a new cable and it cured it.

Personally I think Nextbase have completely screwed up with the rear camera. It was very late being released and it ruins the ability to have parking mode switched on. I think they are burying their heads in the sand about it because they just don't know how to fix it.

It also strangles the front cam resolution.

I think it may be an issue with the rear camera cable.

I'm having thr same issues with mine and although the cable isn't really under any stress I can only surmise the cable being moved around is damaging the cores and causing these issues.

That is my best guess as mine was working fine with a new cable as I managed to damage the first cable getting it routed through the car and it just would not detect the rear camera was plugged in.

Fitted the new cable and was perfect for some time but has suddenly started playing up for no real reason, nothing has changed so can only surmise its either a cbek issue or a fault with the camera that has developed.

I've been struggling with a few issues like this. I've also had the camera turning off mid-journey (even after a 2 hour drive) and in quick succession, 5 times in 10 minutes. I've installed a new battery, new rear cam cable and new hardwire cable.

What I've found is that, when running the rear camera, there appears to be too much power drain for the hardwire charging cable which creates massive instability in the unit. Unplug the rear cam and it becomes a reliable unit again which charges properly.

Time to start looking for a higher output hardwire kit!

Been having theses same problems, tempted to go for the BMW dashcam and ditch theses.

Thank goodness Im not the only user suffering these problems.

My 512GW cam is hardwired and routed according to instructions.
Parking mode OFF.
The front cam always operated perfectly.
The rear cam was added following their release and everything worked perfectly until six weeks ago.
I have done a complete reset and charged the cam via the USB x 2 but the cam refuses to hold the charge.
Will use it with the rear cam disconected until the problem is resolved.

All my car cams have been Nextbase and Ive never had a single problem.

Tiffany - can you offer advice or a solution?

Hi Mike,

Ash here, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your 512GW and rear cam. It sounds like you've got a few issues there.
Does the 512GW hold a charge at all?
Normally the cable connecting the rear cam to the front cam causes the rear cam not to display on the front cam. If you PM me your address I'll get one posted to you.

Hi Mike,

Ash here, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your 512GW and rear cam. It sounds like you've got a few issues there.
Does the 512GW hold a charge at all?
Normally the cable connecting the rear cam to the front cam causes the rear cam not to display on the front cam. If you PM me your address I'll get one posted to you.

Hi Ash,
Wow that was quick response, thank you!

The rear cam window does not display on the front cam.

I will email you my address.

Back