problems with micro SD card for Blackvue DR500

pidge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else had any problems with micro SD cards with the Blackvue DR500, I can open the blackvue software on my PC, see the files for a while and then all of a sudden the software stops works with the message incompatible micro SD card, when I try to open the SD card windows is saying it needs formatting, and thats with every disk I own, the SD disk becomes unusable, windows will not format it, I have to use SDFormatter, any help would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

Don't know if this is the same as what you're getting/having,
when I put the micro SD in the USB reader that came with the DR500 all is well, but if I use those SD cards with a slot for the micro SD card then my laptop has a message, card can not be read, do I want to initialise it, eject it

also what's now happening with mine is this, every now and then in the camera it says "check the memory card" and keeps repeating this message till I disconnect power, and every time I've taken a look at the card, its in there and fully in place, then when I power it up its a 50-50 chance it will repeat the message, not sure what to make of it

pidge said:
Has anyone else had any problems with micro SD cards with the Blackvue DR500, I can open the blackvue software on my PC, see the files for a while and then all of a sudden the software stops works with the message incompatible micro SD card, when I try to open the SD card windows is saying it needs formatting, and thats with every disk I own, the SD disk becomes unusable, windows will not format it, I have to use SDFormatter, any help would be appreciated, thanks everyone.

What brand of card are you using Quite often SD adapters are crap I use the little one that came with the camera and a similar Sandisk model and have no trouble Have had problems with the full size card adapters though.

If you bought a cheap Ebay card I would say thats your problem.

The card is a Sandisk 64gig from Amazon formatted in 32FAT, the BV has had no problem saving images to the card, now I'm on a driving holiday here in Italy where its been hot, it come out with having to check the SD card, this is not the case all the time, but when it happens it keeps on saying it till I un-plug the DR500

Edited to add: I'm running Mio's FW upgrade at 15000 bitrate with no problems before arriving here in Italy, I can only think its the heat thats making the camera play up. come night time i.e. a bit cooler then it never says to check the SD card

mollydog said:
when I put the micro SD in the USB reader that came with the DR500 all is well, but if I use those SD cards with a slot for the micro SD card then my laptop has a message, card can not be read, do I want to initialise it, eject it

also what's now happening with mine is this, every now and then in the camera it says "check the memory card" and keeps repeating this message till I disconnect power, and every time I've taken a look at the card, its in there and fully in place, then when I power it up its a 50-50 chance it will repeat the message, not sure what to make of it

I fixed my problem by replacing the SD card reader, the cheap reader I purchased was a waste of my time, so I invested in a Sandisk reader, I am almost certain it is your reader that is at fault.

pidge said:
mollydog said:

I fixed my problem by replacing the SD card reader, the cheap reader I purchased was a waste of my time, so I invested in a Sandisk reader, I am almost certain it is your reader that is at fault.

So my solution was correct then?????

Hillbilly said:
pidge said:
mollydog said:

YES YES YES, has anyone every told you, you are utterly brilliant!

So my solution was correct then?????

also what's now happening with mine is this, every now and then in the camera it says "check the memory card" and keeps repeating this message till I disconnect power, and every time I've taken a look at the card, its in there and fully in place, then when I power it up its a 50-50 chance it will repeat the message, not sure what to make of it[/quote]

I fixed my problem by replacing the SD card reader, the cheap reader I purchased was a waste of my time, so I invested in a Sandisk reader, I am almost certain it is your reader that is at fault.[/quote]

YES YES YES, has anyone every told you, you are utterly brilliant!

So my solution was correct then?????[/quote][/quote]

A simple yes would have sufficed without descending to sarcasm.

Some posters on here spend a great deal of time trying to improve things or offer solutions and replies like yours make us wonder if we should bother.

A simple acknowledgement that someone has helped you is polite at the least.

The solution should be to format the card in the camera itself. If the Blackvue camera cannot use, known working sd cards, that have been formatted in the camera, then it is pretty useless. Too many sd card issues, too many firmware,issues on this unstable camera.

I can confirm the SD card readers are rubbish, I have lost track on how many have failed in the office. I have even seen some of the card readers trash an SD card. I once used one of the old full size card readers that BV used to supply on a 64GB Sandisk Extreme card for my video camera and it cooked the card, luckily I have a great relationship with Scandisk and they replaced it for me. Now I will only use a decent reader.

It appears it takes a month or so for the problems to show and I suggest that if you get this problem you bin the reader straight away, just buy a good reader.

I can confirm the SD card readers are rubbish, I have lost track on how many have failed in the office. I have even seen some of the card readers trash an SD card. I once used one of the old full size card readers that BV used to supply on a 64GB Sandisk Extreme card for my video camera and it cooked the card, luckily I have a great relationship with Scandisk and they replaced it for me. Now I will only use a decent reader.

It appears it takes a month or so for the problems to show and I suggest that if you get this problem you bin the reader straight away, just buy a good reader.

Do you meant the adapter from Micro SD to SD or Micro to USB. I have found the MSD-SD are usually problematical and now only use the SanDisk MSD - USB versions.

One of mine gave a bad SD card reading last week but the card was Ok in the other one I have Have used both since OK Strange.

I usually always format using SD formatter and now I see there is a ver 4.0 out .

However have formatted some in Windoze and they have always worked OK.

Its not always the camera as a lot like to blame.

Sorry should have made it more clear.

Its the mini SD Card reader to USB on the keychain they give with the cameras and the OLD SD (large) to USB that used to be the problem. The Mini to Large SD adapter tend not to be an issue from pitta

Sorry should have made it more clear.

Its the mini SD Card reader to USB on the keychain they give with the cameras and the OLD SD (large) to USB that used to be the problem. The Mini to Large SD adapter tend not to be an issue from pitta

I found the opposite and work on the theory the less connections the better Have got a drawer full of MSD to SD adapters that don't work but my MSD to USB are ok apart from 1 instance I put down to a bit of dirt

Back