Problems with nextbase 612gw

Twitchyboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, is anyone else having problems with there 612gw from nextbase, I purchased mine from marlins about 6 weeks before they shut.
It has developed a fault where it constantly freezes and needs to have the reset button depressed.
I contacted nextbase customer services and they told me I was using the wrong memory card and they gave ma a link to Halfords for the correct memory card!!!.
This card has been changed and guess what I am still having problems and the help team at nextbase are useless!!!!.
I cannot return to store as Maplins are shut , I cannot find my receipt so nextbase will not honour the warranty , I registered with them when purchased with my email for the guarantee but they cannot find my details???? Convenient.
It seems to me there are a large batch of these that are faulty that nextbase are just turning there nose up to and will not do nothing about.
These are sold and are not fit for purpose!!!!!! In fact my wife’s £49.99 snooper one has been working fine for well over a year!!!! With no problems.

I bought my Nextbase 612GW from Halfords and had it fitted in December. Within a day it locked up with a blank screen and I had to reset it. Id did this again a couple of days later so I returned it for another. This one lasted about a week and then locked up with a message on the screen saying "Recovering". Halfords made sure the unit was fully charged and changed the memory card. I drove about 4 miles and parked. On retuning to the car 30 minutes later when I turned the ignition on it came up with a blank screen and the message "Restoring". Halfords checked the unit was charged and changed the the Dash Cam unit again (this is now the third one) and a week later the damn thing is again locking up and showing the "Restoring" message on the screen. I am just about to ring Nextbase. I chose this Nextbase model as it came top in the Which? survey. I'll be contacting them later. I'll post again a little later once I have spoken to Nextbase.

Just spoke to Nextbase support. They have asked me to test the battery in the unit by fully charging it and then turning off parking mode and seeing how long the battery lasts when not plugged in to a power source. Evidently the battery should last 10 minutes. Yes, just 10. Evidently if the battery is low when it switches off in the car it fails to save files correctly and so gives an error message. I can't see this being the problem as the thing lives plugged in to the car.

Just spoke to Nextbase support. They have asked me to test the battery in the unit by fully charging it and then turning off parking mode and seeing how long the battery lasts when not plugged in to a power source. Evidently the battery should last 10 minutes. Yes, just 10. Evidently if the battery is low when it switches off in the car it fails to save files correctly and so gives an error message. I can't see this being the problem as the thing lives plugged in to the car.
Good luck with nextbase, I myself purchase there top of the range equipment that needs resetting every time I use the vehicle, there customer service is the most dreadful I have ever dealt with.
Google it 612gw look at all the problems!!!
I have a 12 month warranty that nextbase will not honour even though registered with them!!!!
Good luck hope you get it sorted, advice to anyone about nextbase DONT BUY one there faulty end of!!!!!.
You get better operation with a £50 snooper!!! Proven!!!!!!

Hi @Twitchyboy

I'm sorry you've had that experience, you would require proof of purchase to be able to return anything.

Please rest assured there isn't a large batch that are faulty and we can repair/replace if you find the details for us.

Oh ok thanks , I would assume from your reply you are now admitting that there are faults with the 612gw you have been suppling , I have the warranty number you issued me when the unit was purchased months ago , but cannot find receipt from months ago.
I am very disappointed in the Nextbase customer service as it appears quite a few are.
You as a company will know who has the faulty units you supplied but it appears to me you will do all in your power to avoid the issue.
Any decent company would of contacted anyone who had received these faulty goods and replaced them with the current *Non Faulty items immediately.
As stated previously my wife has had a £50 snooper fitted to her car for well over a year now with not a single glitch!!!!!
Please feel free to reply to this thread as I’m sure it’s not just me who is in this position!!!!!

Peckster53 it does not matter if it is hardwired or not as mine is to , there units are faulty!!!!
One piece of good advice when your foolish enough to buy this unit is Keep a pen in your centre console you will need this to press the reset button on the unit whenever you use it

Oh ok thanks , I would assume from your reply you are now admitting that there are faults with the 612gw you have been suppling ,
No - that isn't what I said, I explained the process in place if you purchase something from a company that goes bankrupt.

There was nothing specific to your case there.

I'm surprised if many customers weren't happy with our service, we're a small team and work hard to make sure everybody is treated fairly. Please do let anyone know they can contact us anytime for help, and we can sort out why they're unhappy.

You're not supposed to reset it each time you use it, that means somethings isn't right and needs investigation.

Absolutely rubbish , purchased from Maplins at the time of full trading but now using the fact they are bankrupt to avoid any repercussions/warranty claims. It’s immaterial which supplier it was purchased from they would of all been approved by yourselves, you are the Manufacturer the liability lies with yourselves not the third party supplier!!!

Surely as a supplier who is selling high end £250+ dash cams you will have records of which batch of devices are sent to which supplier???.

Oh and maybe other people have read your comment wrong as well———

Please rest assured there isn't a large batch that are faulty and we can repair/replace if you find the details for us.———

You Are Stating there is a faulty batch,this is all that is required for a small claim case!!!!!!

Regards

Any finally I must say you must be a very , valued,dedicated and committed team member to be posting about these Faulty dash cams at 8pm on a Friday night on a community dash cam forum !!!

Or maybe you are employed for these purposes.?.

You are not a partner or financially connected to the company are you???

I await your reply.

Regards

You did not actually answer my question, are you affiliated with the company??.

Regards

@Twitchyboy yes, a Technical Support Engineer in our (currently snowy) Caerphilly Support Centre.

My DCT name has change to support since GDPR came in but its still the same person, if you have a look at previous posts you can see this - or email us to confirm and I will reply there too :)

Please send by reply details of where to send this faulty unit to, I do not want a replacement or either a refund but will donate this free of charge to your technical department for a tear down to get to the bottom of these faults so no more customers get supplied with your faulty top of the range equipment which under the sale of goods act is “Not fit for purpose”.

Regards

It’s immaterial which supplier it was purchased from they would of all been approved by yourselves, you are the Manufacturer the liability lies with yourselves not the third party supplier!!!
Absolutely 100% wrong. Your contract of purchase was with Maplin.
Jeez, you are an angry person, aren't you.
As an example of "How to win friends and influence people" you must qualify well towards the bottom of the list. To requote a fairly well known one "Calm down dear!"

Last edited:
I am glad that everyone on here can see your avoidance in this matter !!.
Non existent customer service!!.

The customer service here is second to none. Nextbase will do their best to help you but being rude isn't going to speed things along.

As already posted you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about something. Nextbase have replied offering to help but all you keep banging on about is trying to get them to tell you if there is a bad batch, why ?

If your problem gets solved does it matter ?

@Twitchyboy a bit of manual trawling I've found your warranty registration :D - email is slightly different to one you provided. Will email you now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rickn55 612GW 0
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
B 612GW 2
H 612GW 16
Back