Problems with nextbase 612gw

M8TJT and Customer services , I had already supplied both my work and personal email address and was told no warranty was registered under either email, once I found my warranty code that was written on my mislaid box due to recent house move I contacted Cs again with my warranty number but was told it was useless because I could not find my original receipt and that I would need to contact Maplins who have now ceased trading .

Kremmen that was my main “Bee” of going round and round in circles and being offered no help.

Cs thank you I will await your email.

Peckster53 it does not matter if it is hardwired or not as mine is to , there units are faulty!!!!
One piece of good advice when your foolish enough to buy this unit is Keep a pen in your centre console you will need this to press the reset button on the unit whenever you use it

I expect that Nextbase, like Viofo, Street Guardian, Black Vue etc, all have the occasional faulty unit. I would also expect that the number of non faulty units will be in the hundreds of thousands, or worldwide, millions perhaps, which would mean that the ratio of faulty compared to good, will be ooh, shall we make a guess at say, less than 0.1% of all sold units (that's not a number I can substantiate by the way - just a shot in the dark, but you get my drift)...

In the same way that if you find a rotten apple in Asda, it doesn't mean that the orchard it grew in supplies fruit not fit for purpose (eating) nor does the store (I used Asda as an example) a bad supplier or retailer.

You have been unfortunate, but there is a solution offered, so that is great news.

It does however seem to me, that you chose to join this forum simply to vent your frustration. I would hope that if you have a successful conclusion to your issue, that you will create a new thread letting the forum know that Nextbase do in fact give good customer service? (Oh and no, I do not work for them... ;) )

We as consumers have to face the facts that things can and do go wrong, but I once read that while 1 in 10 complain publicly (on forum pages for example), it is believed that the other 9 of those 10 do not compliment publicly ((on forum pages for example) (perhaps foolishly enough))...

Give the staff representative the chance, she will, I am sure, do you a service, not a dis-service. :)

You will also find, if you look around, that the vast majority of people on here will try help others too. It's a friendly community, if you give it the chance to show itself as such.

Regards.
Paul.

First of all, excuse me for my broken English.
OK. I have a next base 612gw camera. I can say that the recording quality is not so bad but the main problem the camera has is that most of the time it's freezing especially when I crank the engine.
I found the problem to it and solved it once for all. Is not very pretty but if you want to do it properly be my guess. I also send it to next base to fix it in warranty and it worked for a month after they sent it back.
The problem with the camera is the battery inside it. I have removed the overcharged battery and replaced it with a phone battery that should last forever in this dashcam.
I didn't take any pictures when I have dismantled it but I've made some back steps when I put everything together.
Before you proceed to take the camera apart you might consider buying a battery of 3.7v 280mAh 1.04Wh or something similar. I prefer to take the wiring for the battery outside the camera body and actually use a phone battery instead.
Link to all the photo together: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XXEaU1cWuMNRhyGP6
Step 1: Remove all 4 screws holding the touchscreen to the body frame. 2 on each side.
IMG_20190607_213303.jpg
Step 2 gently pry the trouchscreen away from the body.
IMG_20190607_211651.jpg
Remove the touchscreen wiring from the motherboard.
IMG_20190607_213350.jpg
Gently lift the screen but watch not to pull it from the side that is the wiring for it.
IMG_20190607_213426.jpg
Behind the screen should be a metal frame that protects the board. You need to gently pry it out so you can see the screen wiring connector.
IMG_20190607_213449.jpgIMG_20190607_213509.jpg
Remove the wiring for the GPS connector.
IMG_20190607_213533.jpg
Remove all the bolts so the motherboard can be removed. Make sure not to break the light sensor when you pull it out.
IMG_20190607_213612.jpg

And this is our fat battery that makes the camera to freeze.
IMG_20190607_213647.jpgIMG_20190607_213707.jpg
Sorry about the por light and my broken English. If you want to see the pictures in full resolution access the google shared album.
Good luck.

Hi @Twitchyboy

I'm sorry you've had that experience, you would require proof of purchase to be able to return anything.

Please rest assured there isn't a large batch that are faulty and we can repair/replace if you find the details for us.
I have one fitted to a Ferrari 488 spider, the only one Halfords have ever fitted to that type of car, required special permission from management, needless to say it did exactly what everyone else did, stopped working after a short while, replaced by Halfords and stopped working again, it is now sitting in the car as a piece of furniture because the unit is defective and doesn't work, I bought it specifically for a rally tour to Croatia, needless to say it worked for a short period of time and then packed up, now going back to Le Mans 24 hr race, and still not working, got to say it is the worst bit of kit I have ever bought, luckily got some GoPro cameras that do work,even though they are a fiddly to set up. When it did work it was good quality images/video but totally unreliable, Nextbase need a rethink on this one, I think the problem is the 4k and screen is eating the battery power and putting it into sleep mode never to recover

@BigdogD what ever problem you're having we can help from our Technical Support Centre, can you get in touch when you're available for us to help 02920 866 429 or support@nextbase.com
Thanks, I've contacted the centre and sent an email with details back to them, just waiting for a RAM number to return the camera.

@BigdogD what ever problem you're having we can help from our Technical Support Centre, can you get in touch when you're available for us to help 02920 866 429 or support@nextbase.com
Dear Sir/madam

Once again i am having problems with my 612 4k cam, it came back to you last year for a battery replacement, the past 4 months every morning the camera has crashed, it is not the memory card!!!, now the unit is as dead as a dodo pushing the power button of the famous pen trick to depress the reset button still does not turn the camera on??.

What do you suggest???

You'll need to contact them via phone because they don't come here any more.

02920 866 429 or support@nextbase.com

Still good peer support and product knowledge here, just not direct factory representation anymore.

Phil

Shame to hear the issues with the 612, I've been running mine for the last year and can honestly say it's the best dashcam I've used. Just a shame it can't have a rear cam added to it..

I bought a 612GW in Dec 2017 for £250, brand new.
A year later (8000 miles), a few days out of warranty, it failed. No matter what I did, it would not power on. Just a blue light on it when you plug it into charge, but no response when you press any button or the touch screen. It turned out it was the battery which had failed. After sending it back to Nextbase, they sent a replacement device. 18 months later (another 8000 miles), it's failed again with the exact same problem.

After contacting customer support, they want £32 + p&p to repair it. Which is 15% of the price I paid for the device. After reading many other reviews, it's obvious that the battery they have chosen to put in this device is poor quality and not up to the job. Nextbase insist that the battery is a consumable, and therefore this problem is okay. My issue is that they have chosen a battery for the product which is not up to the job, and then built it into the middle of the device so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair at a disproportionate cost. By comparison mobile phone manufacturers produce batteries for touch screen devices which are always on, and those batteries survive much longer with many more charge cycles (my iPhone battery is 4+ years old with no signs of deterioration yet). GoPro batteries survive much harsher treatment and last longer. Yet, Nextbase can't make their battery last more than a year, and think in this day and age its justified? This is where I have a problem with them.

In addition, their customer service is pretty poor at the moment. I provided all the info they'll need in my very first communication (name, address, email, phone, serial number, proof of purchase etc). The different customer service staff who respond, don't actually answer the questions I'm asking, and then ask me to provide the same information again because they haven't read the email trail fully. One person tells me I can replace the battery myself, so when I ask for instructions, the next person tells me I can't replace it myself, as it's too difficult. Plus they're extremely slow to respond.

Overall I'm disappointed with how Nextbase are handling the situation. It's clear the batteries are not up to the job. They should be recalling the devices to swap out with batteries which last. Or when customers who have paid top dollar for their most premium device at the time contact them, they should at least replace for free, or offer a hefty discount to upgrade to a newer device (hopefully with a better battery). Then, if you add on their inconsistent customer service, I'm struggling to find a reason to believe in this manufacturer any longer.

You dont want any quality battery in a dashcam.
I simply dont understand why nextbase have chosen to use batteries in the first place.

or offer a hefty discount to upgrade to a newer device (hopefully with a better battery).
I wouldn't hold out any hope of that being a solution, for if they can't do the battery right today in one model (especially a high-end cam) there's little chance they will do it right in any other models.

The way forward has been clear for years- supercaps have eliminated battery issues in dashcams and have become nearly universal in the decent or better cams because of that. Batteries can be done well in cooler climates, and sometimes even in warmer places like where I live. I've got a cheap $26 G1W clone with a LiPo battery still in use after 3 or more years of service, and a lot of folks are still on the original battery of their $35 70mai cams 2+ years into using them. So it can be done, and done inexpensively too- only Nextbase hasn't done that :cautious:

This is exactly why I will not recommend any Nextbase cams. Their design approach is flawed and until that is rectified there can be no expectations of good from them.

Phil

Nextbase continuing to use batteries stopped me buying another one

I simply dont understand why nextbase have chosen to use batteries in the first place.

For parking mode. Simples.
A super capacitor does not 'do' parking mode and some other solution is required. Nextbase chose the battery route.
Others buy horrendously expensive power packs, and others use a permanent live with some sort of car battery protection.

The 612GW I got in 2017 is still working....

A super capacitor does not 'do' parking mode and some other solution is required. Nextbase chose the battery route.
Others buy horrendously expensive power packs, and others use a permanent live with some sort of car battery protection.
I would concur with such an approach if it worked well for most folks- which I'm not so sure actually happens :oops: A different approach than usual isn't inherently a bad thing, but only if it works as well or better than the usual approaches ;)

My feet remain firmly planted in reality.

Phil

I wouldn't say their parking mode works well anyway, it's compromised whichever way you look at it, seems marketing were more involved than engineering when they decided to do things the way they did

I joined on here to see if this was a common issue with the Nextbase 612GW and it appears that it is. Nextbase informed me that because I didn't use a Nextbase branded SD card (I used a genuine SanDisk Extreme), my warranty is void and that is that. It's a shame as I do like the Nextbase software, however I'm now looking for something else...

Welcome to DCT @ZeroSix :)
The card excuse is a cop-out. A non-compatible card may cause malfunctions in recording and operation, but it can't harm the cam. NextBase like Blackvue and Thinkware just want you to buy their overpriced cards. It's not a practice I can support in any way :mad:

One of the best benefits of DCT is that you can hear from other people who have found cards that work well in any cam discussed here, thus saving you grief and expense. Have a look around and ask questions. Lots of NB owners here more than happy to help where they can (y)

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rickn55 612GW 0
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
B 612GW 2
H 612GW 16
Back