proposed license plate camera hack.

I will share my findings in a separate discussion thread. Initial tests suggest this camera unit could be an interesting base for alternative lenses. I assume that the rear camera (different sensor, no IR lamps) will be similar or even better, but more on that another time.
Please do. This looks very interesting!
Since I got my A139 I was wondering if something like this is possible, but I didn't know how.

Now you just need to extend the windscreen mount a little!
No, I don't, but others might. I have a relatively shallow windscreen angle.

A removable mount would be preferable though, especially if I need to adjust anything.

Dual Lock?
I think there would be too much movement / vibration given such a small pad of dual lock.

If the focus is spot on, I shouldn't need to reposition the camera often.

First test drive impressions are promising.

For a quick comparison, this is the view looking across the street from my driveway at night:

Main camera, 5MP IMX335, F1.6 lens
2022_1030_182622_F.MP4_20221030_215136.489.jpg

Modified interior camera, 2MP (Sony Starvis or Omnivision XX sensor?), 6mm F1.2 lens
2022_1030_182623_R.MP4_20221030_215138.333.jpg

I think there would be too much movement / vibration given such a small pad of dual lock.
Never really had an issue with vibrations using Dual Lock tape, especially with small light weight cameras or objects. That's one of the reasons for using it compared to something like Velcro, even the heavy duty kind. I guess with the camera you're using with the mount over on one side there's a potential for a problem but it might be worth experimenting with if you should decide you want a removable module.

Last edited:
First test drive impressions are promising.

For a quick comparison, this is the view looking across the street from my driveway at night:

Main camera, 5MP IMX335, F1.6 lens
View attachment 62181

Modified interior camera, 2MP (Sony Starvis or Omnivision XX sensor?), 6mm F1.2 lens
View attachment 62182

Looks good! You can read the plate numbers plus the dynamic range is far better than the front cam.

Sony Starvis or Omnivision XX sensor?
The Omnivision sensor is on the T130 internal camera, the A139 has Sony all round. Think it is a IMX291, unless it is an IMX307, but given the good dynamic range I suspect IMX291?

Back