Stampy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Vantrue N5
Hi all...

1st post on here, so be gentle.... :)

I bought a Nextbase 512GW on December 26th from my local Halfords branch - to replace a 312 unit that got stolen from my car in early December :mad:

It's been running fine but it seems to be "dumping" a lot of files into the DCIM/Protected folder.

As an example, over the last 4 days - it has sent 26 files in there, and it also takes anywhere between 30-90 seconds to lock onto a satellite, even though the car hasn't moved and the 512gw hasn't moved from my car.

My settings are as follows:-

Resolution :- 1440P
Audio Recording:- OFF
Video Length :- 3 minutes
Parking Mode :- OFF
G Sensor :- Low

Software Version :- R14.6

I tried the unit for 2 weeks with the "G Sensor" turned OFF - and NO files were sent to the "Protected" folder.

It has a SanDisk Ultra 128Gb Card in, and I have also tried a Samsung 128Gb card in - with the same results.

The card last formatted on Friday afternoon.

I've uploaded a 30-second video HERE - if you look, it suddenly comes up "Recording Protected" @ 13:47:46

Any ideas what it could be....?

Do you have any form of motion detection on too ?
And if you can turn that G-sensor off all together, you dont need it anyway as you are always recording so you will feel when you get banged, you just have to retrieve the file before it get overwritten as it will be among the regular files that get recycled when the card run out of memory.
But if its a large enough "bang" you will not be driving anyway, and with 128Gb cards you have 8 hours before the camera start to overwrite older files.

Hello @Stampy sorry to hear about your 312GW :(

I've looked at the file at it seems that you've gone over a small bump which has caused the G-Sensor to protect the file.

Some cars need the G-Sensor down to low - are you able to pop it on that and see if it works better for you?

As @kamkar1 said lots of people like it off - with a card that size you'll have a good 8-9 hours of driving before its overwritten anyway. Should be plenty of time until you can transfer to your phone/computer.

Yes GPS will take that long - its not a primary concern for the processor.

Hello @Stampy sorry to hear about your 312GW :(

Some cars need the G-Sensor down to low - are you able to pop it on that and see if it works better for you?

Yes GPS will take that long - its not a primary concern for the processor.

Tiffany, it's already set to LOW - and like i said earlier it's put 26 files in there in FOUR days.

Thanks for the help (and clarification on the GPS) , I'll turn the G-Sensor back OFF.

It got to the point once, I HAD to format the SD card as there was nearly 50Gb of "protected files" on there

Like I said, I'll turn it off - perhaps my car is TOO sensitive!!

Low might still be too much, low was far too sensitive on my Lukas i had back in the day, took me a couple of days trial and error entering custom values for the G-sensor, but then i also only got one or two event files for a 2 hour drive.
Dunno if DOD cameras allow for custom sensor values like my Lukas did, but its rare the low - mid - high setting are enough for G-sensor or motion detect.

It is a common problem with many if not all dashcams, either you cant set a value insensitive enough, or you cant set it sensitive enough.

Back