Purchase advice

charliefox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are likely to be several similar questions, however I'm going away in a week and between them I'm working very long hours and I am struggling to find time to conduct research.

I'm looking for recommendations for an action cam.
My requirements are:
  • Under around £100
  • Good image quality
  • 1080p (4k would be good but only if it was 30fps, if not I wouldn't use it)
  • a screen
  • good low light recording
  • good for images
  • built in gyro/image stabiliser.
I have been looking at the Yi action cam but it doesn't have a screen. I will be using it in water so I won't have my phone with me. I have also looked at the Akaso EK7000 - £69 on amazon with accessories and a spare battery. However I'm not so sure of the image quality. I have looked at some of the SJCAM such as the SJ7 but that is nearly double my budget, if I stretched to that I may aswel get the yi 4k but I am not very healthy on funds, I already have a Fuji XT-1 so I am not too bothered about the image quality for picture, more videos. I will stretch my budget if it's really worth it.

I am looking at ordering asap, ideally from amazon.

Many thanks.

I know there are likely to be several similar questions, however I'm going away in a week and between them I'm working very long hours and I am struggling to find time to conduct research.

I'm looking for recommendations for an action cam.
My requirements are:
  • Under around £100
  • Good image quality
  • 1080p (4k would be good but only if it was 30fps, if not I wouldn't use it)
  • a screen
  • good low light recording
  • good for images
  • built in gyro/image stabiliser.
I have been looking at the Yi action cam but it doesn't have a screen. I will be using it in water so I won't have my phone with me. I have also looked at the Akaso EK7000 - £69 on amazon with accessories and a spare battery. However I'm not so sure of the image quality. I have looked at some of the SJCAM such as the SJ7 but that is nearly double my budget, if I stretched to that I may aswel get the yi 4k but I am not very healthy on funds, I already have a Fuji XT-1 so I am not too bothered about the image quality for picture, more videos. I will stretch my budget if it's really worth it.

I am looking at ordering asap, ideally from amazon.

Many thanks.

Are you still in the market for an action camera?

Gitup Git2?

I was looking on this site over 1 year ago and concluded back then that Git2 seemed the best option. But 1 year has passed. Isn't there something new? Or is still a bunch of fake sensor cameras with different branding/model numbers?

I was looking on this site over 1 year ago and concluded back then that Git2 seemed the best option. But 1 year has passed. Isn't there something new? Or is still a bunch of fake sensor cameras with different branding/model numbers?
Well, I would suggest the Git3, but there was a price limit in the specification.

Nearly all new cameras under the £100 limit are fake 4K cameras with the money spent on getting that "4K" icon at the expense of a decent lens etc, any real 4K ones are going to be using the cheapest possible sensors and processors and lenses and will not give great results.

He said the SJ7 is twice his budget and I think that is the cheapest camera I would suggest for 4K. The SJ6 is also a decent camera but it is basically a copy of the Git2 with a touch screen added, and it costs more than the price limit.

So, yes, given a £100 limit I would still go for the Git2, and a look at the Git2 Photo Thread always confirms that it can still produce some fantastic photos and it does great video too. It is only 1080 resolution, but so is my computer monitor and a 4K monitor of similar quality is still very expensive, plus my eyes are also 1080 - the 1080 Full High Definition specification was chosen to match the human eye.

The only real problem with the Git2 is the sensitivity of the sensor, which is a little low these days, it needs sunshine to produce great images. The Git3 will sort that issue, and hopefully wont cost too much extra, it is still primarily a 1080 resolution camera but with a good 4K sensor, the money has been spent on producing great image quality instead of on "4K" icons. The price hasn't been released yet though so I don't know how close it fits this spec.

Yeah I don't understand why it is taking so long to release the Git 3. I remember reading a thread that said it would be out by Jan, then it was Feb, then they just seemed to stop updating any suggested release date.

It's more about being 6 months past their own proposed release date.

They did actually build some cameras last year, however it seems to be more than just a small update to the Git2 and all the new firmware is taking longer than planned.

The alternative is to release it before it is ready, read some SJ7 threads to see the results of that, from melted front panels to missing raw photos!

It is getting close, and does work nicely, here are a couple of frame grabs from 1080 video:

Wide angle, low contrast dark & cloudy:
y4m1Cs2RbnidKgferUmFrQXJDXTUsR87U3z3uxhkxAW_KWJPXxY1gwcy563ZXTw0jQBc_okhAuTsaBlAZzIWa5zl2svvjcmblJ1R-fCA0BL36qrOk8neLMfZkBRHChCBwFhd8VCdZQNEOyq9lH1I_yehLsfCUACGcBq_WLi2G9WmRpQ4n79zLVxmTUslfTprC6bdKma4-d74oxqxesKaTgmVw

Full zoom, high contrast bright sunshine:
y4mtBQFxouaaN3rMwvL-tduCbDY18fiWzq54C5VQQqL2GZRd7F9CBxzKJZBDYyEuwOUKNpmlx2ausOdYOGgRTn-0VJLMtQG35pLh44WDxNrqkOOU7MWzfzQKDfghIG7qrTuiRqiuBM0iFKUzxX3Hk1K68uaFsJCGOcbfZD6c9IZxSDkgvju385rJCimQoGQrSZoGbQeExamy9gmQjMi5JuwBw

(Those are both edited, not straight out of camera.)

we intended to release our dual channel camera October last year, we're realistically getting close to release now, almost 10 months past when we intended by the time consumers will have it, however long you think it will take it will take longer, we didn't make any public statements that it would be ready last October so there's less of a 'why is this thing taking so long' vibe than there otherwise might have been

we intended to release our dual channel camera October last year, we're realistically getting close to release now, almost 10 months past when we intended by the time consumers will have it, however long you think it will take it will take longer, we didn't make any public statements that it would be ready last October so there's less of a 'why is this thing taking so long' vibe than there otherwise might have been
"Haste makes waste"; it takes time for development, and more time for solutions. Rushing to getting things out only lead to problems in the future. I think you have it right, and look forward to seeing the final product.

"Haste makes waste"; it takes time for development, and more time for solutions. Rushing to getting things out only lead to problems in the future. I think you have it right, and look forward to seeing the final product.

I'm sure no matter what we do there will be armchair critics that want to bash us, happens regardless but you never can please all of the people all of the time, would go nuts trying if we did

My chair doesn't have arms so I guess I'm not permitted to bash :p Seriously, the SG approach Jokin uses is best (y) Far better to hand a customer a more highly developed cam than for them to be stuck looking at an expensive product sitting on their desk which they still cannot use many months after purchasing :mad: I speak from experience on that :(

Phil

Every decision is risk/reward/compromise so even when people have valid criticism they most often don't understand why things are done they way they are, we still have things go wrong or things that need improving and that will always be the case I think, we do always stand behind our products so getting it as right as we can prior to first release can also save us a bit of grief in the long run, we've been through the process of having to recall a product that didn't meet expectations and canning one altogether before it ever got released, both were very costly exercises but ultimately would have been a lot worse had we just let them go as is

Every decision is risk/reward/compromise so even when people have valid criticism they most often don't understand why things are done they way they are, we still have things go wrong or things that need improving and that will always be the case I think, we do always stand behind our products so getting it as right as we can prior to first release can also save us a bit of grief in the long run, we've been through the process of having to recall a product that didn't meet expectations and canning one altogether before it ever got released, both were very costly exercises but ultimately would have been a lot worse had we just let them go as is
That has been evident from failures witnessed recently by other manufacturers. Getting it as right as you can, and total support when it is released is always the right way, irregardless of how long it takes to introduce a new product.

Ah ok. I thought the release date from last year was coming directly from Gitup. I know I read it somewhere but apparently that info didn't get provided by the company? It has been so long that I am forgetting details. I seem to remember that the GIT3 is not necessarily and update from the GIT2? Will it be an action camera suitable for underwater use?

Ah ok. I thought the release date from last year was coming directly from Gitup. I know I read it somewhere but apparently that info didn't get provided by the company? It has been so long that I am forgetting details. I seem to remember that the GIT3 is not necessarily and update from the GIT2? Will it be an action camera suitable for underwater use?

I'm not sure of the specifics of the Git3, it is 2 channel capable which I guess wouldn't work for underwater situations but that may still be possible when used as a single channel model, @Nigel has a test sample, he might have an idea of the usage config options you'd have with it

I'm not sure of the specifics of the Git3, it is 2 channel capable which I guess wouldn't work for underwater situations but that may still be possible when used as a single channel model, @Nigel has a test sample, he might have an idea of the usage config options you'd have with it
If you unplug the 2nd sensor then it becomes a normal action camera and will go in a waterproof case. It is a bit thicker front to back than the Git2 so will have it's own case which it will share with the 90 degree Git2, I don't have the case so haven't tried it underwater, but I'm sure the extra sensitivity over the Git2 will help a lot in the low light underwater.

I suspect the majority of people will use it as a single sensor camera, the optional extra sensor has its uses, especially as a dashcam or bikecam, but not everyone needs two sensors on their action camera and it does make a good standard action camera.

Gitup have given a date for more information in the past, but I don't think they have ever given a production date. There still isn't a release date.

It does have more features and options than the Git2 and better quality components so it will be a bit more expensive, I doubt it will replace the Git2, it does have most Git2 features though so does appear to be a major upgrade.

Back