Purpose of single cam in a car, dont you want front and rear covered?

AceM

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never understood why you wouldnt want a dual cam in a car

Cost?
Difficult to install?
One camera is enough evidence for most accidents?

I suppose, i just figure if im going to do something i should do it right, perhaps an 18 wheeler would not use a dual cam
If you dont have a dual cam and get hit from the rear, they could claim you reversed into them

If you dont have a dual cam and get hit from the rear, they could claim you reversed into them
Generally the front camera will show which direction you were traveling at the time of the incident, all you need is something to confirm that your story is correct and not theirs, you don't need video of the actual impact point.

It is nice to have rear video though, it can show how stupidly or dangerously they were driving before the incident, and the extra cost of the rear camera is generally fairly small. The A129 is more expensive than the A119 because it has several things extra, rear camera, bluetooth remote, wifi, higher image quality, beter mount, etc.

I never understood why you wouldnt want a dual cam in a car

Some of us have a rear camera and side facing cameras along with a traditional front facing camera.

It's certainly desirable but it takes a bit of work and ingenuity to accomplish. (and the additional expense, of course.)

Perhaps.. if you are so paranoid about getting run into you should re consider your own driving habits or take the bus

Perhaps.. if you are so paranoid about getting run into you should re consider your own driving habits or take the bus

Friend, you sound completely clueless.

For example, those of us who use side cameras find them indispensable for protecting our vehicles when parked. And one time, I almost got T-boned by a driver who ran a red light as I was entering a four way intersection and the side camera captured the whole event. My side cameras have documented what occurred when I nearly got side-swiped while the rear camera captured details of the offending vehicle and the license plate. Of course, dual channel front/rear cameras are a rapidly growing segment of the market.

Some of us have a rear camera and side facing cameras along with a traditional front facing camera.

It's certainly desirable but it takes a bit of work and ingenuity to accomplish. (and the additional expense, of course.)
If i was doing side cameras i would figure 2 dual cams would work

Front and rear could use the FRONT camera and the sides would use the REAR

Yes, people are starting to do exactly that now that dual channel dash cams have finally become a viable option. It wasn't always so.
Some of us here began experimenting with side facing cameras as far back as six or more years ago, long before dual channel cameras existed. With me I began re-purposing older dash cams facing rear or out the sides when I would upgrade to a newer more capable camera facing forward. Before long it was something I didn't want to be without.

Edit: The story above where I almost got T-boned by the guy who ran a red light in a four way intersection was during my early experiments with a side camera. At that time I only had one, on the left, and that was the one facing the incident!

I use a pair of dual cameras, but the setup is front/back and left/right. I found that made more sense to me. I did try it as you suggested, but I did not like the cable arrangement. I can live with a main unit on one side window.

A single camera in the front are enough to disproof any outrageous claims against you, even the stuff that don't get captured by the camera.
Some one might claim you changed lane in front of them ( front camera will have you in your lane not changing lanes )
The claim of brake checking might be a little problematic to prove with a front camera alone, but it would not be much better with a rear camera not least if it is in the daytime.
But i assume braking really hard will make the front of the car dip enough to see it in the footage, but light / normal braking will probably not be seen in the footage.
This is one reason i would like to see OBD info like brake and indicator use in the footage of dashcams.

I have used many dashcams for many years now, and uploaded a lot of idiot driving to youtube, but +95% of my youtube footage are from the front camera / cameras, and when other ( rear or side cameras ) are used it is mainly to act as a lead up to the main event on the front camera.
BUT ! if you like to out idiots on youtube and go all in, then sure the more cameras the merrier, cuz stupid in traffic today are a 360 thing.

Last edited:
The front cam will show that you were in your lane, not driving (or braking) erratically,that you stopped at the appropriate places where you were required to, your speed relative to other traffic, and with some extra work your actual speed (even without GPS stamping). In short it proves that you didn't contribute to the problem so that you must be innocent of any wrongdoing, and with some luck it can show others doing wrong in front of you too. That's good enough for most folks :) As hit-and-runs seem to be on the increase everywhere having a rear cam can capture details of someone doing that to you when they're not in view of the front cam. That's good enough for almost everyone ;)

But still I feel a bit naked without my side cams because the FOV of my front cam doesn't show the crossing traffic at a 4-way stop once I'm at the intersection, and as a lot of crashes occur there I want that coverage :cool: And having had problems in the past where I got wrongfully blamed for crashes where people lied and colluded stories against me that I couldn't disprove, having as much cam coverage as I can while driving get simply makes good sense to me. That it protects me while parked too is a bonus :love:

I've followed Dashmellow's lead in re-purposing my older and lesser cams to the rear and sides as I upgraded my front cam. This makes it a much more affordable process compared to doing it all at once which I simply can't afford to do. I'm not paranoid at all nor do I have a penchant for showing other people's driving mistakes on YouTube. I've simply found a way of ensuring that I will not have problems like I've had in the past and that there can be no question of what happened in traffic issues I am involved with. In video veritas, and I have no problems with the truth being exposed for any and all to see clearly and easily (y)

Phil

Back