Push button switch

Gazwould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions for a 1.5A push button switch to fit under dash board as an on / off switch for a permanent live hardwired dashcam ?

There are about a zillion choices.. Pick one that suits your sense of aesthetics and where it will fit. Virtually any push button switch will be capable of handling a 1.5 amp load.

I'd suggest a rocker switch as an alternative to a push button switch as it would provide a tactile and visual indication of whether the circuit is open or closed. This may be especially important with an under dash installation where it wouldn't be easy to see.

rocker_switch.jpg

Thanks , not interested in the visual aspect as the camera switching on will provide that.

Just a switch that is discrete so it's just me that knows it's under there .

Depending on the camera it can be easy to forget that it is still running and one can forget to turn off the circuit. If it were me I'd want a way to reach down and feel if the circuit is open or closed without having to hit the button to make sure. Anyway, you know what is best for your particular needs.

I use a toggle switch through an existing hole under the dash. If crash safety is a concern (knee impact) use a plastic-handled one. There's often a round hole usable under there. Too small then open it up, too large mount the switch in a sandwich of 2 fender washers ;) Regular rocker switches need rectangular holes which you'll have to create but round-hole rocker switches are available.

I operate mine by feel. Unless you looked for a switch under my dash you'd never see it. It has been my experience that toggle switches last longest followed by rocker switches. Locking push-button switches seem the most trouble-prone' YMMV.

Too many sources to not find what you need quickly and conveniently as most full-sized switches handle 3A or more :cool:

Phil

I.. have a toggle switch under my dash that I can "feel" which position it is in.. left is off, right is on that supplies power to my GPS. In fact a wasted effort to install because I never turn it off.. :)

I've built in a 3-pole switch in the small storage compartment in the dash. One inlet acc. 12V+, one inlet battery 12V+, outlet 12V+ to a second cig.-lighter in the dashboard. It's very secret in the compartment. Behind this compartment ist the fusebox (very practically). Mostly the switch is in position "I" Acc (Zündung in German), for short parking (8 hours and more without batterysafer possible) is position "II" Batt. In the middle (pos. "0") you can shut down the cam.
It's easy to deinstall, without holes in the dashboard.
image019.jpgimage018.jpgimage021.jpgimage022.jpgimage020.jpgimage011.jpgimage006.jpgimage014.jpg

Last edited:
I.. have a toggle switch under my dash that I can "feel" which position it is in.. left is off, right is on that supplies power to my GPS. In fact a wasted effort to install because I never turn it off.. :)

But still, it's nice to know you can shut the circuit down if you want to or need to. And with a toggle or rocker switch you know if the circuit is open or closed just by feel.

Last edited:
Why not buy a Power Magic and you wouldnt have to worry about whether you turned it off or not

Back