Put a little video from the A139 together

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
No crash or stupid drivers, just performance in regard to plate capture, on a day with a nasty low sun ( you can also have too much light with dashcams or at least too low light )

My rear window need cleaning, but i still manage to capture the plates of most of the cars there too as we wizz past each other with 80 km/h on the highway.

The clip will eventually be there in 4K too as i upscaled it in post.

I think you have already mentioned this (sorry!) but what are you using to stop the video and zoom in?

I found on my test sample A139 I would struggle to read number plates of oncoming traffic, our UK plates probably have slightly bigger lettering.
It was very cloudy on the days I tested it out though.

I use the freeze frame ( 10 seconds ) + pan & zoom feature on those 10 seconds in my editing software ( powerdirector 17 )
Most regular players like for instance potplayer i use to play videos also have a zoom function.

As you can see this is filmed on a day with plenty of sun, as soon as that change just a little so do plate capture.
But i have done the same kind of recording on a grey and rainy day, and it also worked fine back then using another camera.
I do feel like some times a camera can choose to use a unfortunate exposure setting, cuz some days where i would assume i get plate captures too, well i barely get one, and i always use the same 80 / 80 kmh highway scenario for my recordings, but of course the other guys here often go faster than 80, at least i get overtaken all the time when i do 80.

Last edited:
Ideal conditions for capturing those giant EU plates :) Sun behind your back, it really can't get any better.

Yeah on this we EU boys are blessed.

Compiled a similar video on a day with more adverse conditions.

That's pretty good considering the amount of water on the windscreen in some of the stills.

Yeah not bad, driving home a few hours later when to me the light was the same, well i did not get many plate captures.

Back