put some kind on note on website about firmware issues

Helder

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I received yesterday my A118c bought from gearbest.

after starting it for the first time, I simply went back to dashcamtalk.com, where I read some nice reviews, downloaded the "proper" firmware and installed it.

Unfortunetaly, maybe this one is an unbranded complicated device, but now, I already tried every firmware out there (problably more than 15 :/ viofo, streetguard, audio-vox, etc), and can't manage to boot the camera anymore after the welcome screen or the welcome screen :(

I know it's my fault, for not reading, but I think it should be clear on the page that some devices would easily brick

Well, I must say you're right.

my device is not bricked;
simply unusable, probably forever, because I can't find it's firmware.

like the guy on the previous post, for example. Like a couple of guys on other posts...

In the end: maybe bricked is not the correct word; but the warning is fundamental, especially considering this site is the main reference for dashcams

this site can't help it when vendors sell counterfeit product. i'm not saying gearbest sells counterfeit stuff (in fact my a118c came from them back when the a118c was brand new) but counterfeits do exist now, and the only sure way to tell them apart from the real deal is to open the case and check the components used. it's just 4 screws so it's not hard. the fakes aren't using real Novatek processors, and that's why the firmware won't run properly.

if your original firmware version/name started with B40, then chances are it's a fake.

this site can't help it when vendors sell counterfeit product

Well, I think it really can.

Simply saying something very close to what you said right now, like:
" There are counterfeit items being sold. Before you flash any of these firmware, check your firmware version. If the original firmware version/name starts with B40, it's likely counterfeit, and you'll not be able to use new firmwares or to get back to previous firmware". Sorry if my english is not perfect.

Maybe I and a couple of other guys would be happy to avoid risks.

Well, I think it really can.

Simply saying something very close to what you said right now, like:
" There are counterfeit items being sold. Before you flash any of these firmware, check your firmware version. If the original firmware version/name starts with B40, it's likely counterfeit, and you'll not be able to use new firmwares or to get back to previous firmware". Sorry if my english is not perfect.

Maybe I and a couple of other guys would be happy to avoid risks.
You should search around on this forum. I think you'll find plenty of posts warning A118 users to make sure they use the correct firmware for their camera. Plenty of post stating pretty close to what you just quoted. You should contact @GearBest to see if they can help you get the correct firmware.

I searched. After doing the mistake. And again, it's not only me, so I think it should be clearly visible on the "product page".
I'm not attacking anyone here, don't feel that. I think it's a fair warning that should be posted, as long as this site is very popular and reliable!
Well, maybe not that much for me and a couple of other guys, but you think I shouldn't do a friendly reminder...

this site can't help it when vendors sell counterfeit product. i'm not saying gearbest sells counterfeit stuff (in fact my a118c came from them back when the a118c was brand new) but counterfeits do exist now, and the only sure way to tell them apart from the real deal is to open the case and check the components used. it's just 4 screws so it's not hard. the fakes aren't using real Novatek processors, and that's why the firmware won't run properly.

if your original firmware version/name started with B40, then chances are it's a fake.

the copy does use the same processor, some even use the same PCB, whether the copy PCB or the real one though they use lower spec (lower priced) components which cause stability issues when trying to use the original version firmware which has greater functionality than the copies can support

I do agree though that perhaps @DashCamMan needs to add some notes to the B40/A118C page about using incorrect firmware, or maybe even consider removing the firmware that is linked there as too many people are buying the copy version and trying to update with incompatible firmware which is killing their cameras and no way to recover when the correct firmware for the unsupported versions can't be found

I think it's helpful to be a resource where people can find these things but it's unfortunate when copy product comes along that end up breaking things

Hi...I have put a warning on the page. If there are more posts complaining of bricked cameras, will consider removing the firmware.

Hi @DashCamMan, a new member has located the firmware for the Gearbest copy A118c, which restores functionality to those which have been bricked by updating with the Viofo or other firmwares. I used it yesterday to recover mine. He posted a link to it here, I wonder if you'd like to place a copy on the page with a note to help others who bricked their copy A118? Thanks. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gearbest-a118c-firmware-problem.30842/page-2#post-376344

I was just thinking about where I could find firmware updates for my A118C - B40C 1080P FHD 170 Degree Wide Angle Car DVR - BLACK dash cam when I came across this thread! Glad I did I think now before I went down the wrong road. Guess I should well alone then, right??

BTW I have contacted Gearbest for advice on firmware updates for this device so it will be interesting to see what unfolds. I'll try to remember to let others know what their take on this is.

I was just thinking about where I could find firmware updates for my A118C - B40C 1080P FHD 170 Degree Wide Angle Car DVR - BLACK dash cam when I came across this thread! Glad I did I think now before I went down the wrong road. Guess I should well alone then, right??

BTW I have contacted Gearbest for advice on firmware updates for this device so it will be interesting to see what unfolds. I'll try to remember to let others know what their take on this is.
based on what people have said here in the forum, gearbest's official stance appears to be:

Gearbest said:

@GearBest - maybe you can post here to let us know what's up?

Back