Put the phone down! Car opens door into path of motorbike

One of the first things I learned when I was a kid starting to ride a bike

Yeah traffic codes or not, you really have to take care of your own security, and do so with situational awareness.
You DO NOT want to leave your well being to other people in the slightest, that is the path to disappointment and pain.

Are you a westerner? So if someone who is from the west gets in trouble, demands for higher compensation increase? I presume because locals make far less (600 USD / Month as a teacher) than some westerner who probably has more money?

Even if you showed up, I can't imagine they could extort you? You weren't involved and she's not your wife?

Sounds like your g/f is lucky to have no killed the lady and got off "cheap". $208 USD. Happened anywhere else in world and I am sure we'd be talking big numbers.
Yes...foreigners...specifically non-asian foreigners are subject to pay increased compensation or targeted for extortion.

It's hard to convince Thais to drive safely when there is little negative repercussions for driving badly.
Are you a westerner? So if someone who is from the west gets in trouble, demands for higher compensation increase? I presume because locals make far less (600 USD / Month as a teacher) than some westerner who probably has more money?

Even if you showed up, I can't imagine they could extort you? You weren't involved and she's not your wife?

Sounds like your g/f is lucky to have no killed the lady and got off "cheap". $208 USD. Happened anywhere else in world and I am sure we'd be talking big numbers.
I'm a retired American.
Yes.
Her family recently settled an old debt, connected to her ex husband (Thai) who fled the country with his mistress ten years ago.
The lawyers told her 'we know your family is poor, but she has a western boyfriend now....no negotiation on the amount will happen.'

It's a big reminder you ain't in Kansas any more.

Yes...foreigners...specifically non-asian foreigners are subject to pay increased compensation or targeted for extortion.

It's hard to convince Thais to drive safely when there is little negative repercussions for driving badly.

I'm a retired American.
Yes.
Her family recently settled an old debt, connected to her ex husband (Thai) who fled the country with his mistress ten years ago.
The lawyers told her 'we know your family is poor, but she has a western boyfriend now....no negotiation on the amount will happen.'

It's a big reminder you ain't in Kansas any more.

Easy response "Boyfriend" not husband. You have no financial attachment to pay her debts. They can "try to extort you", but I doubt that'll work well. I wouldn't be so inclined to throw "Western Money" her way to solve debts.

Usually every Friday, we eat dinner at a friend's restaurant 25 km away. She drives most of the time.
I average one scream per 2 km travel.

We pass through small villages with kids playing on the roadside, dogs sleeping in the street, assorted vehicles driving the wrong way. She doesn't discriminate, she almost hits all of them.
It's luck. Luck can turn. Quickly.

Usually every Friday, we eat dinner at a friend's restaurant 25 km away. She drives most of the time.
I average one scream per 2 km travel.

We pass through small villages with kids playing on the roadside, dogs sleeping in the street, assorted vehicles driving the wrong way. She doesn't discriminate, she almost hits all of them.
It's luck. Luck can turn. Quickly.

Maybe the real reason Asians love western men is so they can marry someone rich enough to pay off all their debts! Apparently, the real danger appears to be giving Asians Motorized Vehicles.

Living objects beware!

Easy response "Boyfriend" not husband. You have no financial attachment to pay her debts. They can "try to extort you", but I doubt that'll work well. I wouldn't be so inclined to throw "Western Money" her way to solve debts.
She knows I refuse to pay her debts, and she is replaceable.

Maybe the real reason Asians love western men is so they can marry someone rich enough to pay off all their debts! Apparently, the real danger appears to be giving Asians Motorized Vehicles.

Living objects bewarhat is the primary factor p

Living objects beware!
This is a poor region. Inexpensive to live.
When the family has money problems, there are three usual solutions.

Send somebody to another country to work, and send money home.

Prostitution, (tourist areas or other countries)

Marry a 'farang', (westerner)

I'm primarily here because it's not expensive to live, and have some history in the area.

There is a tradition of husband's paying the family for the wife. Dowry of sorts.
It's laughable how it gets mangled by the crooks.

The basis is compensation to the girls mother for raising a skilled, pretty, virginal girl.
Up front cash payments, monthly support for parents.
The prettier the girl is, or more educated, the higher the price.
This is not much adhered to today by most Thais, or only ceremonially. (Money returned)

You can look online and find videos or stories of westerners marrying prostitutes and paying a dowry that would be excessive for a supermodel virgin with a PhD from Harvard.

One of the first times I ran into a blatant example of the realities, was ten years ago. I was having coffee with the lady I was seeing then, and one of her friends, a teacher.

She noticed my blackberry and said 'you need to get him to buy you one of those.'

The conversation then drifted to her money problems.
She borrowed money from loan sharks to set her parents up in business.
It went under quicker than a submarine.

She was looking for a foreign husband to solve her problems.

Good luck

This is a poor region. Inexpensive to live.
When the family has money problems, there are three usual solutions.

Send somebody to another country to work, and send money home.

Prostitution, (tourist areas or other countries)

Marry a 'farang', (westerner)

I'm primarily here because it's not expensive to live, and have some history in the area.

There is a tradition of husband's paying the family for the wife. Dowry of sorts.
It's laughable how it gets mangled by the crooks.

The basis is compensation to the girls mother for raising a skilled, pretty, virginal girl.
Up front cash payments, monthly support for parents.
The prettier the girl is, or more educated, the higher the price.
This is not much adhered to today by most Thais, or only ceremonially. (Money returned)

You can look online and find videos or stories of westerners marrying prostitutes and paying a dowry that would be excessive for a supermodel virgin with a PhD from Harvard.

One of the first times I ran into a blatant example of the realities, was ten years ago. I was having coffee with the lady I was seeing then, and one of her friends, a teacher.

She noticed my blackberry and said 'you need to get him to buy you one of those.'

The conversation then drifted to her money problems.
She borrowed money from loan sharks to set her parents up in business.
It went under quicker than a submarine.

She was looking for a foreign husband to solve her problems.

Good luck

I've never been to Asia, but I have seen the Asian Woman looking / married to Western Man Scenario several times. Agreed, many want westerner to help support family or bring their family out of the country.

LOL. DEFINITELY never lived in Asia.

Corruption is baked into the culture at every level imaginable.

It's worse than Mexico.

Living objects beware!

You're not wrong...

Back