Q: Anyone install the rear cam EXTERNALLY? Convertible w/poor visibility softtop

Wheelr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: Went w/A129 Pro Duo. (no idea of where nor how I'll mount rear. I still might attempt an external attachment above license plate)
(Amz black Fri sale motivated purchase decision. Though when I initially posted this inquiry, Viofo's in-house 48hr sale (since expired) had a lower overall cost due to being UNtaxed.

Leaning twds VioFo for the intangibles (quality build, firmware) over the Rexing v5 (which seems to have superior/inflated "raw" specs).

In addition to the specs, what I find compelling w/Rexing is the "waterproof" (though no IP - Ingress Protection Code) external rear cam.
For a convertible (IMHO) the external cam provides for a convenient mount and the possiblity of using as a backup monitor, an addtional PLUS.

(These PPS mfr'd plastic softtop windows are good-for-NOTHING other than discerning headlights in your rear view mirror)

Anyone wish to share their insight. TIA

Last edited:
Leaning twds VioFo for the intangibles (quality build, firmware) over the Rexing v5 (which seems to have superior/inflated "raw" specs).

In addition to the specs, what I find compelling w/Rexing is the "waterproof" (though no IP - Ingress Protection Code) external rear cam.
For a convertible (IMHO) the external cam provides for a convenient mount and the possiblity of using as a backup monitor, an addtional PLUS.

(These plastic windows, made by PPG are good for nothing other than noticing headlights in your rear view mirror)

Anyone wish to share their insight. TIA

The cameras are not waterproof. So you have two options:

1. Mount Front and Rear Camera on your front windshield. Have rear camera facing towards cabin.
2. Either buy or design your own acrylic housing to safeguard and protect the non waterproof A129 for external mounting.

If you want a waterproof IP rated Viofo, there is this:

It is missing a few features compared to an A129, but it is a nice camera.

Welcome to DCT @Wheelr :) If it doesn't have an IP rating don't trust it to be waterproof. Some of the better 2-channel cam manufacturers offer or plan to offer waterproof cam modules for situations like yours. And there are 'Motorcycle' cams that work here.

Rexing has improved noticeably in the last year or two, but IMHO is still "swimming in the shallow end" of the dashcam pool :( A few of their cams are OK for the price, many are not what they claim to be or are overpriced for what you actually get. I do applaud their progress but they still have a way to go before I recommend them.

Phil

If you want a waterproof IP rated Viofo, there is this:

It is missing a few features compared to an A129, but it is a nice camera.

Ya no parking mode. Really depends on OP's intentions. If he wants parking mode, then he'll need to mount A129 Front camera facing out windshield, rear camera facing cabin on same windshield. Or design an external waterproof casing for the A129 Duo rear camera.

If he's not wanting parking mode and only recording while driving, the motorcycle camera is a good option.

Appreciate each of you sharing your insight.
Not only provided additional depth to the products and brands but also afforded me the ability to discover issues I did not imagine.
I'm still on the fence and will likely wait. (Though current sales pricing is reasonable - for my budget - for what these dashcams do; even if not ALL of what I was hoping for.

1. No interest in an acrylic housing. (not even if it was a sleek factory design).
2. That waterproof Rexing w/o the proof, soured-me, otherwise I'd have probably gone that direction.
3. I'll have to re-evaluate practical value of buffered parking mode. (perks in an exposed convertible left in a parking lot for an hour).
4. Also the perks when rear visibility is critical (backing-up) when the softtop is UP.
Thank you

Appreciate each of you sharing your insight.
Not only provided additional depth to the products and brands but also afforded me the ability to discover issues I did not imagine.
I'm still on the fence and will likely wait. (Though current sales pricing is reasonable - for my budget - for what these dashcams do; even if not ALL of what I was hoping for.

1. No interest in an acrylic housing. (not even if it was a sleek factory design).
2. That waterproof Rexing w/o the proof, soured-me, otherwise I'd have probably gone that direction.
3. I'll have to re-evaluate practical value of buffered parking mode. (perks in an exposed convertible left in a parking lot for an hour).
4. Also the perks when rear visibility is critical (backing-up) when the softtop is UP.
Thank you

I've run 2 x A129 Duos for for almost 2 yrs (one car) and 1.5 years (another) without any hiccups. Using old V 1.5 Firmware I believe. They work hot, cold, you name it. Rarely a hiccup.

The A129 Duo Plus suppose to be just as solid. As I said, if I were in your shoes, I'd want parking mode. I'm concerned about A-Holes backing into car or damaging. I caught a break in to my other car with parking mode. One that gets parked on street. I was able to turn their images over to police. So there's definitely a benefit. Sh*thead kids broke into car got nothing out of it.

Anyway, I would just mount both cameras on your windshield if it were me. I wouldn't go without parking mode.

SG have an optional waterproof rear camera to go with their dual channel camera

Back