Q. I am looking for the best video quality

Blueboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
JooVuu X
Hi everyone, as the title says, I am looking for the best video quality. Mostly for daytime, nighttime is a little less important.
I'm sure this has been discussed 100's of times but please help.:)
I looked at the ones under $100 in the sticky but it seems to me that there are better cameras out there. Size I don't care, money, lets not get to crazy. Usually you get what you pay fore so I don't mind paying more for crisp and clear videos. I have been using a $300. DOD LS300W PLUS (POS) but it had several issues out of the box. I think it might be a cheap knockoff, it came straight from China.
I just ordered this; https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JJ3SQRI to hold me over.
I was considering a GoPro Hero 4 Silver but I really want a full time camera I can leave in the truck and not worry about someone smashing out a window and steeling it.
There are thousands of cameras out there, if we can get it down to a hand full that would be cool.

I appreciate your advice!
Blueboy

the one you ordered will be pretty close to the results you had from the DOD

if daytime is the priority a higher megapixel sensor can deliver sharper results, look at the samples from the Joovuu X as an example of what a 4mp sensor can do, there are a few cameras that use this sensor so depending what features and form factor you like as to which is the right choice

@Blueboy, what ever dashcam you decide to buy for your truck I recommend to buy dashcam with supercaps ( not battery based ) as I understood you plan to leave dashcam inside truck all time. Also buy only from local reputable reseller in case of warranty / support needed.

the one you ordered will be pretty close to the results you had from the DOD

if daytime is the priority a higher megapixel sensor can deliver sharper results, look at the samples from the Joovuu X as an example of what a 4mp sensor can do, there are a few cameras that use this sensor so depending what features and form factor you like as to which is the right choice
OK, canceled that order, no way do I want the same problems. I was looking at the Joovuu X and from the YouTube videos I'm not seeing that much difference in video quality. Can't make out license plates much better. Maybe it's better in real life. Does anyone have one? I do like it's designed in the UK, but is it made there? Looks like Pier 28 is the only place to buy for $184.95?

Thanks for the welcome!

OK, canceled that order, no way do I want the same problems. I was looking at the Joovuu X and from the YouTube videos I'm not seeing that much difference in video quality. Can't make out license plates much better. Maybe it's better in real life. Does anyone have one? I do like it's designed in the UK, but is it made there? Looks like Pier 28 is the only place to buy for $184.95?

Thanks for the welcome!
The encoding on youtube can sometimes create artifacts. Maybe someone on this board with the same camera could share a raw clip for you.

Thanks jokinn, I looked back and found this post that might be relevent to OP's search

Kamkar1 footage.

Thanks for the welcome!

YouTube is never a great place to judge video quality, they re-encode the video and make a mess out of it

The RAW footage of some of my older recordings might be gone, i had to delete some old stuff to make room for more.

It seem like 30 Gb isent much room when it come to video footage :eek: and i quickly filled uo my MEGA account.

Just put up a fresh daytime clip of driving nice and slow here in my home town, its captured in sunshine and with 1080/30 HDR settings.
https://mega.nz/#!ClACTBgK!Jl1WV_7mrGbXAigPzTae0lHpa6Eb0xXZ2evmKpmfvZE

Just a single 3 minute file, i am about to add 2 of those together for a 6 minute file with a little hat cam while driving and then shopping and looking around inside under neon lighting.

Hint there is a MILF in the footage when i am shopping ;)

kamkar1 the Joovuu X looks like a quality camera. I read threw the post snacksthecat put up, did they ever get the night time issue fixed?
The only deal breaker is, will the Joovuu X work on a Mac?

The RAW footage is way better, YouTube chops it up to much.

Excellent job on the videos! Denmark looks like a beautiful country, looks a little like my home town here in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, except we have pot holes in our roads.

The x camera is not now and i dont think it ever will be a top notch night performer, but then even the best ones at night dont really capture much, and what they got is allso suffering from motion blur.
I think the x cam do allright, its surely not crappy at night, but head to head with my SG camera on a dark backroad the SG camera just see more, but in the light levels we have here in Danish towns its about the same performance as the SG camera ( SG9665GC )
And what the SG see more on the unlit backroads is just more, its not like you can use it for much as in those conditions there is a lot of motion blur with the settings the camera have to use to make it just a little useable.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/what-dash-cam-to-choose-from-the-two.17197/

For some reason there seem to have sneaked in some bugs in regard to IQ, there seem to be a increase in blocking with a lot of movement in the footage.
This should not be a major problem as i undestand it, but have somthing to how the camera offload into the final file container, so firmware should fix that up real nice.
There allso seem to be a little gremlins in regard to the HDR, again this is somthing that should be fixable in firmware.

In regard to MAC i think the files will play fine with the right software, i know the popular registrator viewer is allso in a MAC version and on PC at least it handle the footage and GPS info just fine.

But if you have downloaded the raw files you can have a go yourself, at least the 3 minute drive here in my home town of Randers should have the GPS info on it too.

The iphone app is laggin a little behind the android app, but there is ongoing devlopment on both offcourse, the PC program is allso undergoing tune up as i undestand it.

Thanks kamkar1! I'm having trouble watching your shopping video, it freezes when you walk up to the security gadgets. The time keeps going but the video is frozen. Or is that what you mentioned IQ and HDR? I don't understand what they are.
A sneak peek of the man behind the curtain, if you catch my movie reference.

Wierd, just looked over the 6 minutes of shopping, and it play fine here.
But i will just DL my file from MEGA and have a look at it after its been from Denmark to New zeeland and back :D

PS will be a while, mega only give me kilobytes ATM, i normally get 5-6 Mb/s from them.

Anyways my little sister invited to come eat "hakkebøf" and 10 wild horses will not be able to stop me eating that :D sure my car breaking down will cuz no way in helll i can walk the 30 km to her house.
So tomorrow i will compile new footage and i will get off this Mode#2 i am in thats set to 1080/30 HDR, will be using 1080/60 instead.

Weather forcats is even good, so all the screatches and what not on my windscreen will stand out in the low sun we have this time of year :oops:

IQ is short for Image Quality.
HDR is High Dynamic Range, i dont plan on using HDR myself there is allready WDR ( Wide Dynamic Range )

I think i will be using 1920 x 1080/60 FPS and 2304 x 1296 / 30 fps, will do my best to capture both those resolutions on the 2 X cameras on my windscreen tomorrow.
1080/60 with 60 degree FOV ( Field Of View ) for a more natural distance feeling to the footage and 1296/30 at the maximum 155 degree FOV that make things look further away than they are.

Just finished reviewing the DL of the file from MEGA, and here that play good too.
I think the gates you mention is the ones i pas around 1:26 in the footage, but there there is not the slightest hickup.

It is however easy to see i need a new more flexible spine than the 50 year old one i have, and allso that the camera use settings even in this ammount of light in the shop that will make motion blur when i move my head around.

Just another proof that most dashcams only do really well in bright sunshine, and as soon as the light levels start to drop it will get harder and harder for cameras to make crisp sharp images.

Also why i say the #1 challenge for all dashcams and action cameras is low light performance.

But its a problem for all, we simply need better more sensetive sensors in our cameras.

Wierd, just looked over the 6 minutes of shopping, and it play fine here.
my little sister invited to come eat "hakkebøf" and 10 wild horses will not be able to stop me eating that

I down loaded it again and it played further this time. My internet is slower than molasses in winter, probably picking up a glitch.
Hakkebøf, did you have boiled potatos and broccoli and brown gravy with that? Life is good!

Going to call Pier 28 tomorrow and order the Joovuu X.
JooVuu, Pier28, Do you guys have forum member discounts?:D

Back