Q800 Feature Request

thinkware_customer

Reaction score
Country
United States
My first Thinkware dashcam was the F770, which worked very well for me. I recently purchased a Q800 since the F770 is no longer produced or supported. I would like to submit one feature request for the Q800 — the ability to disable WiFi and keep that setting as the default setting.

I like how the F770 requires pushing the WiFi button to temporarily enable the WiFi network. It does not unnecessarily broadcast the WiFi network until I need it.

In contrast, the Q800 always has WiFi enabled — either in access point mode or hotspot mode. This behavior is a privacy concern because it leaks your location / daily routine to anyone with a WiFi signal scanner. It also is a security concern — if a malicious attacker were to gain network access to the dashcam, either by cracking the WiFi password or through a security vulnerability, they would have access to all your dashcam footage.

My suggestions for improvement:
  1. Allow for WiFi to be disabled. Have the WiFi button on the dashcam cycle through the modes: disabled -> access point -> hotspot (if configured) -> disabled
  2. Add a setting in the thinkware cloud app to specify what the default WiFi setting should be when the dashcam powers on, including WiFi disabled.
  3. When WiFi is disabled, do not play the “Please connect to a WiFi network that begins with Thinkware...” message.
  4. Allow the user to pick a custom WiFi network access point name that does not include the prefix “Thinkware_”.
Thank you.

Hello There! Thank you for all of these suggestions, as we are always looking for ways to improve our Dash Cams. We will be passing these along to our team :)

I prefer the compartment that hides the wire connections on the F770 front camera. It makes the installation look a lot more cleaner and professional in my opinion. It also serves as a deterrent to any potential thieves planning on stealing this dash cam, since it makes it that more tricky to find and unplug the camera. I can't believe Thinkware haven't carried on with this concept on the F800 / Q800 cameras. I really don't like the visible wires protruding out from the sides of those cameras.

- switch off red led in park mode
- to receive notifications over cloud when car in park mode. (I guess the camera could wake up after impact, connect to the hotspot & send a message)
- have more control over partitioning of memory card

@Thinkware Dash Cam

Have settings to allow user to select higher bitrate such as 25Mbps like in the BlackVue cameras.

Have timelapse + buffered parking event video clip like BlackVue. Record in timelepase mode until an event happens then switch over to event recording and record the buffered 5-10 seconds prior, the event, then 5-10 seconds after.

Request for granular control over audio notifications

I think a lot of the audio notifications are very helpful and I left them turned on.

That said every time I get in the car I am notified about number of events that occurred in parking mode capturing motion (greater then 10) - not helpful.
I am prompted to connect to a Wi-Fi network starting w the name Thinkware- (not needed)

I want to be notified if the car was hit while it was parked. I want to know if there is an error in parking mode due to the car battery or wiring issue or if the Sd card is failing.

I’m sure other users would be interested in certain voice notifications about some features but not other notifications

Simply the request is for menu options to have full control over what notifications prompt the user

Thank you

That would be nice, for a quick solution about the hotspot message you can simply use the app and connect to any (even)none existent hotspot. Simply enter SSID name+user/PW . You will get message it cannot connect as it does not exist but won't bother you anymore when starting your drive.
Cheers,

Request for granular control over audio notifications

I think a lot of the audio notifications are very helpful and I left them turned on.

That said every time I get in the car I am notified about number of events that occurred in parking mode capturing motion (greater then 10) - not helpful.
I am prompted to connect to a Wi-Fi network starting w the name Thinkware- (not needed)

I want to be notified if the car was hit while it was parked. I want to know if there is an error in parking mode due to the car battery or wiring issue or if the Sd card is failing.

I’m sure other users would be interested in certain voice notifications about some features but not other notifications

Simply the request is for menu options to have full control over what notifications prompt the user

Thank you

i think the "connect to your phone message " on start up should be able to turn off, we dont need to hear this every time we start the car up !

Also i think adding another volume lower than 1 would be nice, i think 1 is too high

Wifi default off until button is pressed will be useful.
Stop playing "Use your phone to connect to wifi access point starting "Thinkware"" would be very useful too.

Hello Everyone, I will ensure these suggestions are passed along to our team! The "Connect to a WiFI Network..." message that you hear upon each startup can be disabled by connecting the Dash Cam to Hotspot just once. This is just a default startup message.

Hello Everyone, I will ensure these suggestions are passed along to our team! The "Connect to a WiFI Network..." message that you hear upon each startup can be disabled by connecting the Dash Cam to Hotspot just once. This is just a default startup message.

A lot of us do not want to connect the camera to the wifi network until we are 100% sure that's the dashcam we would like to keep. Furthermore, not everyone wants to link their smartphone with the camera and prefers to view the videos offline.

I feel i die a little every time:
I touch my phone. ( 0 - 15 minutes daily )
Use wifi. ( very rare very unlike 99.99999 % of people on earth ) at home everything are cable and i have never used a public wifi.
Vote. ( though this have become more easy now that there are new parties to vote for )

Thinkware is a Korean brand so for sure engineers are as well. So they are living in their own world and develop and test the product to match their environment and as they used to use it.

For many US or european customers they are simply using it different way. Maybe in like 20 yrs when nearly any car does have internet connections such a function will be seeen as "normal" for everbody.
Cheers,

Thinkware doesn't "take requests"

they really don't care much about their older products & only focus on the latest models

for instance I asked a feature to have unlimted park mode on the f770 (it's max 48 now), but they didn't want to do it
(eventhough this features exsist on the newer cameras and should not be too difficult to implement)

On another note: I love the F750 & F 770 which are very stable cameras, but have a hard time following their logic with every new model that comes out...

So the WIFI always on? a sales rep told me you just can to press the wifi button on/off. I would say it would be a basic requirement to switch it off.

Fit the cable(s) permanently to the mount, rather than the camera. This way the camera can be removed/replaced without fiddling around trying to refit the plugs into the camera behind the driving mirror.

Fit the cable(s) permanently to the mount, rather than the camera. This way the camera can be removed/replaced without fiddling around trying to refit the plugs into the camera behind the driving mirror.

Bit late for that now mate, it's already out
So is the U1000

But I do agree

Back