Q800 Pro 2CH Parking mode just won’t work

DrHRH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this after reading and watching lots of positive reviews. After someone scratched my car, my main priority is the parking mode, so I had it installed with the front and rear setup, hardwired by a professional auto electrician. No matter what I try, it just won’t record incidents all night. I got a massive memory card (SanDisk Extreme 128GB) and I’ve fiddled with the sensitivity options as well as reducing the voltage cutoff to the minimum. It only seems to pick up motion detection for a couple of hours after I lock the car. I wondered if it was the car battery but I plugged in a voltage tester the next morning and it was showing at 12.2V, well above the cutoff. I even tried putting the Thinkware 32GB Memory Card in. Still stops picking anything up after a couple of hours. Totally useless to me in parking mode. About £350 down the drain. What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don't mess around with all the settings at once.(Default should be ok for most events)
Voltage reading not not always accurate so it can be like 0.1 or 0.2 difference.
If parking surveilance is what you need i would highly recommend to get one of those external battery like Cellink Neo(Comes with thinkware hard wiring Kit!) or Blackvue one which gives you recording time above 30 hours easily.
For the issue about the recording double check your setting of the cam, default should be 12.2 volts you should be able to go to 12volts.
Also double check which setting you made inside the cam you can set a recording limit like 12h/24h/36h so after that period of time it does turn of the camera to avoid any further battery drain.

Most important and that might be the cause some modern cars (Mostly those with Start/Stop function) have additional control modules which turn off some circuits after some time.
For example you did connect the cable to Battery+ on your fusebox and you did make sure when car is switched off there is some current. It might be alright but after like 30 minutes it will shut down to avoid any further battery drainage. (So try other wiring/double check and check status of your starter battery as it might not be stable and drop voltage)
If you check other reports without using external battery you can only expect like 6-8h in parking mode unless you have some special battery like modern Porsche or others like that do have.
(Those 6-8 hours was the reason i decided to get an external power source instead)

Thanks for the reply. Will a high capacity portable charger like this (Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00M0EWED0) and if so, do I just plug it in to the power socket? I know the Anker won’t charge from the car and I’ll have to do that at home but I just want to see if it’s theoretically possible to power the dash cam overnight in this way.

Thinkware does use 12V power source.
So you need something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B072HR211P

Have a look here:

Just for testing it will good but i would not recommend to use that kind of powerbank inside a car unattended.
You also might have a problem to enable parking mode as it needs the hardwiring kit which is cable with 2 seperate power connections.(ACC switch will enable driving mode once this is off and constant power is connected it will use parking mode)

Cheers,

What make model and year is your vehicle? How old is the battery? What voltage cutoff do you have your dash cam set to?

A powerbank that outputs 12V technically works to power on the Q800PRO.

Hi there,

Keep in mind, a portable power bank will not allow the dash cam to go into parking mode. Therefore, while you are parked it will re-write all of the continuous recording files.

Back