Q800P stop record about 2hrs parking mode - help

Ok I come to a conclusion that’s it the dashcam not Neo battery. I felt the battery and it’s warm but the dashcam is hot. Outside temp is 95F. So in car might be >than 140F

Customer Support (Thinkware Customer Support)
Jul 2, 14:57 MST

As per the information you have provided and after reading the forum, we do believe that the Dash Cam is powering off due to the Heat.

Since the Dash Cam is sitting on the Windshield with direct contact from the sun, as well the temperature in the vehicle gets much hotter than the outside temp, we do believe that the device is powering down to save the internal components. Especially since this is the case with both of your vehicles and not just one.

If you purchase a Windshield Sun Shade and cut a tiny strip so the Dash Cam can see outwards, this may help keep the device cooler so Parking Mode can stay active for longer. Once the Dash Cam powers down in Parking Mode it will not restart until the ignition is turned on again

===
I can do that but gonna be too much work for my wife when she’s always in a rush.

Instead of placing windshield sunshade everyday and cover the whole windshield, will it works if I cut sunshade square size a little bigger than the dashcam using 3M and stick to dashcam that touch to windshield. Make a hole the side of the len
Example, see picture or sunshade needs to cover the whole windshield to work?
test.jpg

Look ugly lol.. let see tomorrow if it can handle heat

I also got 400gb sd

Attachments

• 55FA0704-2D74-4343-926A-80B760164E6C.jpeg
    55FA0704-2D74-4343-926A-80B760164E6C.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 25
  • 804100D6-C7F9-407B-82B3-4AEFD5989458.png
    804100D6-C7F9-407B-82B3-4AEFD5989458.png
    803.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The parking modes are mostly working in the mornings and evenings. After driving in hot afternoons, the camera shuts down within a minute of parking mode activation with voice notification "self protection mode activated due to high heat". This has happened 100% of time with energy saving and motion sensing parking modes.

Sorry for the late reply.

We haven't heard of Neo battery packs with overheating issues - unlikely to be the battery.
Note that we only recommend placing the Neo in an area that is open and well-ventilated.

Look ugly lol.. let see tomorrow if it can handle heat

I also got 400gb sd

Placing sunshade like my previous post, not working. Dashcam still shutoff due to heat

Placing sunshade like my previous post, not working. Dashcam still shutoff due to heat

You purchased from us, correct? Have you been in contact with us? Shoot me a PM for your email and I can see what we can do for you.

I read a few in here and saw people used heatsink for DR900s-2ch. I know there's no heatsink design for Q800Pro but would any heatsink work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07CVVPC7S
Or find a good size one that almost fit Q800Pro on the side or top, see picture

Q800-11jpg.jpg

@Eternalblue @Thinkware Dash Cam @BlackboxMyCar

Can I place Q800Pro on a dash instead on windshield. Buy an adjustable phone mount and 3M to dash. Something like this picture.

Will this work and able to capture video like as on windshield and since it's farther from windshield maybe it won't shut off due to heat?

mount.jpg

Mounting the dash cam on the dashboard will result in sub-optimal video coverage - you actually lose out on siginificant footage that's about a couple of feet in front of the vehicle.

As for heat - might not make a big difference here either, as it's the overall interior of the vehicle that gets high temperatures.

@know610
Better try to find a way to reduce heat inside your car. Tinted windows will help(Back/side) and you can also get some window heat insulation film.
So no direct sunlight going inside your car will help from overheating.

@Eternalblue
My car is tinted 15% except windshield. Even direct or indirect sun the dashcam still overheat when outside temperature hit 80F and up. BBMY will to exchange since it might be premature overheat issue. Before I mail out, I plan to test one more experiment. Instead of mounting on windshield (object against windshield might cause more heat than away), buy a rear view mirror mount something like this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07FTRRPTJ customize their mount to work with q800pro if not compatible, Use 3M easiest.

80F doesn't sound that much. Did you ever measure room temperature when returning to your car? Those rear view mount could work.(We are part of the same forum :) Most people do hide the camera behind those glas sensors that you can find in most cars nowadays. So camera body behind and the lense on left side of it. I don't think direkt sunlight on lense will make the cam shut down i expect the body temp is most important.

I have had the cameras for 2 weeks now & regret it already.

before i had a 750 & 770 installed and NEVER had heat problems, but both my Q800's stop working at temps under 35c (IE a normal temp for summer)

The image quality is fine for me and i don't really care about the sh*tty cloud functions, but the overheating is a BIG problem!!!!

(i left blackvue some years ago because of this, but now seems i have to deal with the same sh*t again)

If i could i would go back to my old setup in a heartbeat….

At least your Q800Pro able to handle 35C, mine can’t handle from 27C and it’s done. I based this based on last parking mode clip time and at that time it’s around 27C.

Returned for an exchange yesterday and I don’t need to pay any fees including shipping cost. I don’t want to get different kind cuz been invested a lot especially wires and other accessories compatible with Q800Pro.

Like i said, tough luck if our car got dents, scratches etc after dashcam overheated lolz.
I been doing research, youtube etc and none mentioned their dashcam shutoff at 80F.

I have had the cameras for 2 weeks now & regret it already.

before i had a 750 & 770 installed and NEVER had heat problems, but both my Q800's stop working at temps under 35c (IE a normal temp for summer)

The image quality is fine for me and i don't really care about the sh*tty cloud functions, but the overheating is a BIG problem!!!!

(i left blackvue some years ago because of this, but now seems i have to deal with the same sh*t again)

If i could i would go back to my old setup in a heartbeat….

my 35c was more of a guess to be honest… bascially both shut down in "normal" summer temps
and both roughly at the same time each day.. round 13-14h when it's hottest...
seriously p*ssed off

Glad you could return yours. Any idea what cam you try next? I doubt there will be that much of a difference. Just a few cams do proper parking mode and others are just active while driving.
As you said 35c was just a guess you won't believe how damn hot it can get inside a car when windshield is acting like a lense.(Ambient might just be 65c but some parts like cam body or some metal components are too hot to touch.(As a rough idea if you can touch a surface for longer than 1 second temperature is below 65 degree, Try with your windshield after few hours of direct sunlight :)
I'm quite sure direct temperature could easily reach like 70c when outside temp is like 35c after just 1 hour in direct sunlight.

Please let us know when you found something working for you.

Return for the same item.

Glad you could return yours. Any idea what cam you try next? I doubt there will be that much of a difference. Just a few cams do proper parking mode and others are just active while driving.
As you said 35c was just a guess you won't believe how damn hot it can get inside a car when windshield is acting like a lense.(Ambient might just be 65c but some parts like cam body or some metal components are too hot to touch.(As a rough idea if you can touch a surface for longer than 1 second temperature is below 65 degree, Try with your windshield after few hours of direct sunlight :)
I'm quite sure direct temperature could easily reach like 70c when outside temp is like 35c after just 1 hour in direct sunlight.

Please let us know when you found something working for you.

BBMY confirmed both my Q800Pro was mfg defective with overheat issues. A replacement is on its way.

Just want to report back after the exchange of Q800Pro. Everything work as expected. Only time it cut off when outside is hella out compare to previous defective unit, it cut off at around 80ish. Got myself rear cam too. Cellink Neo did the job very well with both cam.

Back