Quality and reliable nighttime dashcams

Icar

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello, I have a Dashcam which is unreliable and it did not provide a video of the crash ...
I'm looking for a reliable Dashcam that works 100% bug free with maximum nighttime quality.
I have seen the Viofo A119 V3, A129 plus or pro, Street Guardian models but they are no longer in stock on amaxon, is there a new model coming out soon? I am open to other quality proposals.
Thanks,

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
In case you will decide I do have all Street Guardian models in stock for EU customer ready for the next day dispatch.

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Well if you are hoping to capture license plates at night, it / you better not be moving faster than a 1 legged man can jump backwards, but most dashcams will give a okay picture of what happened.
Are you planning to use parking guard ?

OP
I

Icar

Reaction score
Country
France
Well if you are hoping to capture license plates at night, it / you better not be moving faster than a 1 legged man can jump backwards, but most dashcams will give a okay picture of what happened.
Are you planning to use parking guard ?
Yes, parking mode is being considered.
I saw that the dashcam sensors are relatively small 1 / 2.8, as well as the small size of the pixels, it does not pose a problem during the day but at night it is another story.

The Vantrue N4 uses an IMX335 1 / 2.8 sensor, wide angle too far: 4/3 format useless for dashcams, the 16/9 cropping causes a lot of loss, the pixels are 1/3 smaller than an IMX291 (16 / 9), it is as much light of cumulative lost.

Which 2K and above dashcams offer a better sensor than IMX335?

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I think only the IMX 335 sensor are in use for 1440p cameras, it is what have been in the 3 1440p cameras i have tested.
The best sensors used in the 291 as you said, maybe the IMX 327 if my memory serve me right, but that one have not seen much adoption so far.

OP
I

Icar

Reaction score
Country
France
I think only the IMX 335 sensor are in use for 1440p cameras, it is what have been in the 3 1440p cameras i have tested.
The best sensors used in the 291 as you said, maybe the IMX 327 if my memory serve me right, but that one have not seen much adoption so far.
I will wait for the new Sony Starvis 2, the "Clear HDR" mode is perfect for a dashcam.
According to sony, this new HDR is about 8 times better than the conventional model in a single exposure and when integrated with AI, Starvis 2 enables high-precision image recognition in urban areas or other environments. involving fast moving objects and other difficult conditions at all hours.

The Starvis 2 list is going to grow but at the moment there is the IMX662 for 1080P, then the IMX678 for 4K, the IMX585 is excellent but very big and more expensive ($ 40). 2K should be released soon.

All that's missing is integration into dashcams.

IMX662: https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX662-AAQR_Flyer_ver01.pdf
IMX678: https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX678-AAQR1_Flyer_ver01.pdf

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Yes starvis 2 do sound very interesting, and hopefully we will get there soon, but the dashcam market do seem to move very slow.

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A139ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K+B2K
According to sony, this new HDR is about 8 times better than the conventional model in a single exposure
Although the HDR is good, these sensors are not significantly more sensitive than the current sensors, so the main problem in low light of motion blur is not improved even 1.5x. I think overall for dashcam use, these are only a small improvement on the current Sony sensors, definitely not 8x improved image quality. Also, improved HDR has become available from other sensor manufacturers so we might get this improvement before the Sony Starvis 2 sensors are actually available in dashcams. We have already seen Viofo using an Omnivision sensor in their new T130 because of its low light and IR performance, although I think that is currently not using the HDR, not needed for a cabin sensor.