Quality issue with DR750s

ultramoo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is there any way to improve the quality of the dashcam? Had this cam for a while, never checked the quality until now. Noticed that its not really that good.

See example - https://youtu.be/lyEKTqMiA7s

Can't read any plates, even from the passing police car. Is this normal?

I think your expectations are a little high. At 1080p I can almost make out the plate, but it's not "passing" it's a good 50ft in front of you and in the shadow. Extracting a few frames and zooming in with decent photo-manipulation software might be able to enhance that enough to make out the number. But overall that looks like typical 1080p quality to me (given the lens & associated sensor size).

There's the trade-off with dashcams, everyone wants small packages, which means small lenses. And wider fields of view, which translates to that "zoomed back" feel. And, of course, the speed/size/heat limitations recording to SD media. When you combine all that with cost expectations, there's inevitably a barrier to quality. Over time that barrier will shift higher.

But it's okay to complain, because we'd like to hope the camera manufacturers are monitoring "demand" for higher "quality" (resolution, speed, etc). We can hope that one or more will come up with increasingly high-end ones, knowing that some of us will pay the price to get it. I know what I'd classify as the "near-perfect" dashcam, but my gut feel is that'd be at least double the cost of the 750S to get it. :-(

You mean the DR900+ version? So the 4K version would make significant difference?

If you scan through the DR900 discussions here, you'll see that one's not without its quirks. Higher resolution, sure, but with other issues. And, of course, more expensive.

900 is not as good as the 750 in low light conditions. The 750 has a Sony low light 1080 sensor , but the 900 doesn't. Even on 1080 the 900 isn't as good.
There are some demo pics somewhere here which illustrates a side by side comparison.

Back