Question about a hard wire connection to head unit.

Fred_Fredburger

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking into to replacing the head unit in my car with the Atoto A6 Pro. Looking into the design it has 3 usb ports in the back and one in the front. I am thinking of getting the Veckle Mini 0906 Dual Channel 1080P and hard wiring it directly into the back of the head unit. I guess my questions are:

1. Is this possible? I don't see why it would not charge it as the car turns on and off without issue.

2. Will it record still while connected directly to the head unit?

3-The head unit can recognize the dash cam and display it as a DVR. Since this is an android head unit I don't see why I could not pull files directly from the cam and reply on the head unit. I understand some dashcams will allow live streaming while driving. I do not think this is one of them.

I understand that I still need to run the separate cable for the parking guard. Just trying to figure out if I need to bypass or bride some cable bypass to make it do what I think I want it to do. I can try to explain further if I do not make sense.

No you can most likely not power a dashcam off those USB ports, even if they provide enough power the dashcam would probably just go into mass storage mode as it sense the data connections.
It is rare people get USB ports that come with their car ( most often to connect / charge phone or other devise to entertainment center / head unit ) in general these ports are under powered.
Also if it worked the camera would not come on before you power on your head unit, dashcams are supposed to come on with the turn of the key and otherwise need no other interaction.

If the camera go into mass storage mode i assume you could playback files on the main unit that way, but as i recall you cant push a button to get the camera out of mass storage mode and into regular recording, even if you could this would just complicate operation, and dashcams are supposed to be automated and need no interaction in daily use.

I have a 2 DIN china head unit ( win CE ) i would use a micro 2 SD adapter and plug the memory card into the head unit to playback, it is better you complicate this level than the day 2 day operations that should be automated.

Yes some dashcams have a AV or HDMI out that are live, but these are fewer and fewer it seem, and really why would you have a little screen gong with what you can see much better with your eyes by looking out the window.
If you say "reversing" then it will be much better to spend a few dollars on a true reversing camera, which your head unit no doubt have a connector for.

OT: i need a new head unit, my touch screen died long ago, and the remote are stupid.

If you manage to power a camera off those USB ports you will probably be the first, but in a short line as i have never heard about anyone wanting to go that route before.

The more I think about it the more I don't think it will work. While the rear usb's may power the device I dont see how it will stop the mass storage mode and go into recording more. I guess I can just keep a memory card adapter in the car and load it directly into the headunit for play back.

Yeah.
Some seem very geared to be able to share footage in one way or another right then and there.
I would never do that, i would just share my footage to my insurance, and then it is their job to report whatever to the police so they can charge the other part for unsafe driving and lying on their insurance papers / to the police ( document fraud )
On the other hand if i witness some others event, i would just give my email and say get in touch cuz i have it on tape.
9 out of 10 accidents here, if you call the police you will get in truble, they only attend when people have been hurt or road are blocked, and unlike Russians we Danes learn to get our vehicle the hell out of the way if we had a fender bender.

Back