Question about basic usage/button functionality

runar

Reaction score
Country
Norway
After a bit of experimenting and reading the threads in this forum, I figured that the buttons on the main unit does the following:
  • Emergency/Return: Save clip (single press) or enable WiFi (long press)
  • Menu up: Open player (single press) or disable microphone (long press)
  • Menu down: Open menu (single press) or take picture (long press)
  • OK: Switch display view (single press) or shut off system (long press)
The remote button has the same functionality as the Emergency/Return button on the main unit.

Are there any other functionality or combinations that I've missed? Is it possible to add new or change the existing functionality of the buttons with firmware updates? I'd love a way to stop the recording without shutting the whole system off, or to be able to shut off the system by pressing the remote button.

You can also long press the remote button to turn on wifi ( in case you have the camera buried deep in the car and need to do a setting change or DL a file )
You are right there is no REC button as such, but entering the menus stop recording and exit it again start recording.

what is the proper way to remove the SD card? can I just go to the menu to have it stop recording and then pull the card?

when I did a long press of the OK button to shut it down, I couldn't figure out how to restart it without pulling the power cable?

I turn it all off, and i think thats the one and only way to do be able to get the memory card out of it in a correct manner.
But yeah then to get it going again there are no button for that, so you have to turn off the car and then turn it on again.

It would be nice if a button combo could turn the camera on again.
Then again it is rare i take the card out of a running car, for the most i have stopped and the camera changed to parking mode, so i just need to stop that of course to pull the card.

The other "DR" system i have the K2S, its on / off button is a slider, that when on slide over the memory card slot, so in order to get the memory card out, you first have to move that slider and so turn the system off.
If the system are on a hard wire kit or the OBD adapter as i used, inserting the memory card, and turning on the system by moving the slider, would then turn it on ( cant recall if it went into always or parking mode then )

But yeah this new DR system are a bit different to work with, it is not a game changer to me personal but you do learn some things have changed indeed.

what is the proper way to remove the SD card? can I just go to the menu to have it stop recording and then pull the card?

when I did a long press of the OK button to shut it down, I couldn't figure out how to restart it without pulling the power cable?

I believe you should completely shut it off before removing the SD card. I read somewhere that the system does not support hot swapping.

And to start the system again, I turn the ignition on and off.

but turning the ignition on and off didn't seem to work since it always has power.

I'll try it again to see if cycling the AUX power does restart the system.

When i turn off my car a little clock icon pop up in the left side of the LCD as i use a 1 hour cut off timer, TBH i have not noticed if there are other visual indicators that the camera go into parking mode.

you could have the camera wired wrong ( the two +12 V wires ) we have seen one case of the labels on the two +12 V wires was put on wrong.
If my memory serve me right the red wire are the ACC wire and the yellow the constant on +12 V wire.

When i turn off my car a little clock icon pop up in the left side of the LCD as i use a 1 hour cut off timer, TBH i have not noticed if there are other visual indicators that the camera go into parking mode.

I believe there is a sound, possibly two or three beeps, when the system enters parking mode (or loses constant power?).

Could be, even if i have few cameras in my car ATM ( 4 ) , there are still a lot of beeping and chiming when i turn on or off my car.
But yeah a audio alert seem reasonable ( with this DR it is the first time i have used hard wire, and parking mode ) so this aspect of dashcams are fairly new to me as a user at least.

I believe there is a sound, possibly two or three beeps, when the system enters parking mode (or loses constant power?).
when I turn off my car, I don't hear anything, but I do see the clock timer indicator. when I turn on the car, I do hear a couple beeps that I guess indicate that it is in regular mode now.

but turning the ignition on and off didn't seem to work since it always has power.

I'll try it again to see if cycling the AUX power does restart the system.
ok, tested this yesterday. turned off the car, cam went into parking mode. turned off camera with a long press of the OK button. when i turned the car back on, the camera rebooted. OK, I can work with that. its just frustrating that none of this seems to be documented anywhere.

Yes, the DR beeps when it goes into and comes out of parking mode

Back