Question about copyrighted material being captured in the audio of the dashcam

SummerFun

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9663DCPro
I just got my dashcam a few days ago and have a question about captured audio. I usually play audiobooks while I'm driving, especially if the trip is lengthy. I've been turning off the microphone on the dashcam when the audiobook starts because I wondered if it's a copyright violation if I needed to use the footage later in the event of an accident and it has the audiobook in the recording. I'm sure I'll probably forget to turn off the mic sometimes, so that got me wondering about whether it would be an issue. If I uploaded the video to this forum, for example, I could always mute the recording before uploading it, but what if I need to provide it to an insurance company or to another driver if I witness an accident they're involved in? I suppose it wouldn't be any different than if a radio station was on or I was playing music, and from the various dashcam videos I've watched, many of those have music blaring over the speakers, but I'm just curious whether anyone has ever run across an issue with it or how copyright law would play into it.

I have tried that a few times on youtube with music playing in the background, and in the old days youtube just muted the sound in that case, but nowadays it seem like they take the entire video off line.
In a case where your recording are evidence i don't think there will be any copyright issues as you are not really sharing in public.
Evidence footage i am pretty sure all would only touch if it is in its raw unaltered format.
I got sort of the same issue with my uploads to youtube, as a Dane i can pretty much record where and when i please though not stick camera in the face of people or over their fence or in windows.
But my problem come when you share footage, i think i am supposed to blur out license plates ASO, but i am not doing that though my editing software now have a track and blur feature.
And i will keep doing it my way until a judge tell me not to, in which case i will instead give the police my recordings and cause one hell of a uproar when i again go to the press and remind people that today in Denmark we have so little police that there are crimes they pretty much have to ignore.
And nothing will happen out of that as we Danes are pretty stupid ignorant cows.

I use to have the MIC on the cameras muted, but now they are on again and i just remove audio in post, not least to also spare people from listening to my foul mouth and brain that though i am Danish operate in English when ever it get the chance.

I think with music it depend on your youtube settings, my friend often use music on his videos and nothing happen, even music by the hysteric band Metallica, i have said No NO NO to anything on youtube too so the slightest whiff of something and i am "in trouble"

Last edited:
Normally, making a recording for your own use is perfectly legal, sharing that for law enforcement purposes is unlikely to be an issue, the only problem is if you then share the recording or make your recording public, which is why Youtube will filter any copyright material it detects.

Note - The laws you are operating under may be different to elsewhere.

As to legal proceedings you should have no problems, but if posted publicly it's possible. Just strip the audio with a video editor program for that.You can also put the vid somewhere like dropbox or mega.nz for DL'ing then send a link to whoever needs it. This way won't give you any protection of copyright claim but it's unlikely to be discovered before all those who need it can do their DL and you can delete it after that.

Should I ever need to submit my vids for legal reasons I'm going to take the card to my lawyers (solicitors) and let them make a true copy first, then let them do the distribution as needed. They will know what to do with only my best interests in mind and that's how I like things to be :)

Phil

Should I ever need to submit my vids for legal reasons I'm going to take the card to my lawyers (solicitors) and let them make a true copy first, then let them do the distribution as needed. They will know what to do with only my best interests in mind and that's how I like things to be :)

Phil
Great advice!

Thank you to everyone for the information and helpful advice. Hopefully, I'll never be in an accident and this won't become an issue, but it's good to know the do's and don'ts, just in case. Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Legal Questions 5
J Legal Questions 9
Back