Question about parking mode and motion sensing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need some clarification on the BlackVue DR500. If I were to plug the camera into an always hot 12 volt power port, will the camera enter into sleep mode if I enable the motion sensing and parking mode? Or, will the camera stay powered all night if plugged into the always on 12 volt power port? I am having a hard time finding info about this. I just recently purchased a new car and it does not have a dedicated cigarette lighter that shut off when the key is turned off. It has 4, 12 volt always hot ports only. I had the camera plugged into the cigarette lighter in my old car and it shut down when I shut the car off. With this new car, I cannot use the camera unless I physically unplug it.

If this is too complicated of a question, I will make it easy for understanding.
Exactly, how does the motion sensing and parking mode work?

Motion sensing / parking mode requires permanent power, set those options and your camera will stop recording after a preset time and will only record events based on movement

So, let me get this correct. You are saying that if I were to plug my camera into an always hot 12 volt port, the BlackVue will stop recording and switch to parking mode. While in parking mode, the camera will not record until the G-sensors detect something. Once the G-sensors detect motion, the camera will turn on and record. Correct? I am not using the Power magic pro, I am only using my 12 volt port.

AmericanDriver said:
So, let me get this correct. You are saying that if I were to plug my camera into an always hot 12 volt port, the BlackVue will stop recording and switch to parking mode. While in parking mode, the camera will not record until the G-sensors detect something. Once the G-sensors detect motion, the camera will turn on and record. Correct? I am not using the Power magic pro, I am only using my 12 volt port.

YES

However you would be better with a power magic as it can turn the power off if the battery level drops too far.

Eg a windy night with trees blowing could have camera going all night

I thought the camera is always on no matter what. It just doesn't record unless it detects motion.

And the only time the camera turns off is when the batter goes below the voltage you set.

vbx said:
I thought the camera is always on no matter what. It just doesn't record unless it detects motion.

And the only time the camera turns off is when the batter goes below the voltage you set.

Yes it goes into parking mode after 10 mins and then it doesnt record anything unless there is movement to make it do so Therefore the power drain will be a lot less than when constantly recording

Ok did a test about this today I emptied the record folder and set the time on my DR350 and put it in the car with parking mode enabled started it up and heres what happened.

It was in the garage where nothing moves. Parking is enabled for 1 hour

Was in normal record mode for 10 mins after turning ignition off.

50 mins later it turned off Only images were for the 10 mins of normal mode.

SO if there is no movement there are no files.

In contrast I parked for 80 mins in a busy shopping carpark earlier today

On reading the card there was almost continual recording due to cars and people coming and going in view of the camera.

It picked up people walking that were at least 30 meters away.

So that should answer all questions as to what happens

Does the unit get warm in parking mode with no recording?

vbx said:

No but its a DR 350 which didnt have the problem at all Seems that its the ones with GPS that have it actually

Hillbilly said:
vbx said:

No but its a DR 350 which didnt have the problem at all Seems that its the ones with GPS that have it actually

lower res cameras always run cooler, it's the CMOS and CPU that generate the heat in full HD cameras

Hey guys,

I think what still hasn't been claryfied is whether the camera actually stops taping when "sleeping". As far as I see it this is not the case, as its motion detection seems to be based on the taped images, not on "external" sensors like infrared, ultrasound or similar. Hence the camera is actually always "on" but just does not save the files. Anyone knows whether this is correct?

Greets

Read my post above which sets out quite clearly what happens in parking mode.

It obviously has to be "on" as in having power provided but unless something disturbs it it wont record a file.

It also consumes some power so leaving it connected directly to your battery will in time flatten it.

That is why we use a Power Magic which will prevent battery problems.

Doesnt really matter which way it works as long as it does.

You are overthinking it a bit I reckon.

In parking mode it only records if two things happen

1 There is movement in the vision of the camera.

2 There is a bump which activates the recording.

So yes its lurking but doesnt activate recording unless the above occurs

the camera is completely active when in parking mode, just doesn't record anything to memory card unless triggered, pretty straightforward

Basically its like having your digital camera turned on in anticipation of taking a shot Its working but wont take the pic till you hit the button.
Same with the dashcam except it is triggered by movement of the two types mentioned.

Adding to that, I guess there will not be much reduction in power consumption during parking mode as most of the camera functions are active (except writing to SD).

Theoretically switching off security LED should save some power.

I may post again in a new thread. Brand New DashCam owner here. I got the Blackvue DR3500-FHD since it has the automatic parking mode feature and I have a Chevrolet where the lighter is always hot despite the car being turned off. Even when the camera is in Parking Mode it gets so Hot that it is barely untouchable. Even the SD card gets hot.

I tried writing to blackvue HQ but no reply yet. Does anyone know if it is normal for this camera to get so hot? When I parked at work today I unplugged it from the lighter which is something I wanted to avoid doing and I don't want to do any electrical modifications to my car. I might change it for a simpler one that has an On/Off button.

From a post above it seems there was a problem with these cameras getting hot?

Thanks in advance for any help or insights.

Back