Question For A Lukas 7900 ACE Owner

JackInCT-USA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
A question for a Lukas 7900 ACE owner.

I took delivery earlier this week (week of April 21, 2014).

My question is how to do I tell what firmware version is already installed?

And two tiny curiosity questions: what does the word (possibly an acronym) "ACE" in their product name stand for/signify? Ditto re its "black box" designation, i. e., so the product box (it came in) is mostly black, and the product name in various places on the box emphasizes that--so what does the color of its box have to do with anything?

Thanks, Jack

My question is how to do I tell what firmware version is already installed?

When it boots up, it will display the firmware version briefly on the LED screen on the back. Mine says "AC31" for the firmware version.

Ditto re its "black box" designation

As the wikipedia disambiguation page for "black box" puts it, in the context of automobiles, a black box is "a device installed in some automobiles to record information related to vehicle crashes or accidents". A lot of people only hear the phrase "black box" in the context of airplanes, where the black box records various things that are helpful in understanding the cause of a crash.

In Korea, it seems that they like to refer to dash cams as black boxes, while in the USA an automobile black box is NOT a dash cam. Though there are some dash cams like the Lukas LK-7900 ARA, which can get and record info on your turn signals, steering wheel angle, braking, acceleration, and so on. So, the ARA is a lot like a dash cam AND a traditional automobile black box.

[QUOTE="So, the ARA is a lot like a dash cam AND a traditional automobile black box.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

In fairness to Lukas, I, after I read your reply, remembered that the device came with an owner manual; and yes, there on the page with the various LED readings (and their meaning), the first one was the firmware version (my new cam came with the latest firmware version).

Your comments re the black box & the ARA version, prompted me to revisit the Lukas website. As a first time buyer of dash cams, during my product search 'phase', in my attempt to pare down the various manufacturers of dash cams and the dozens of models on the market, I grew weary and impatient of the protracted search, reviews, videos, etc.,. I must admit that I ignored the Lucas ARA line; in retrospect, regardless of whether I would "need" the features of the ARA models, I should have looked them over (IF for no other reason than to explore if those features were standard fare on other manufacturer's dash cams and/or priced less than what Lucas charges).

Thanks again.

Jack

Do note that the ARA's OBD II module does not work with all cars. They do provide a list of automobiles that are compatible with their OBD II module.

I have been wondering why the OBD modules need to be coded to work with different cars, why dont they just build them so every owner can calibrate the camera / OBD module to figure out the signals on his brand / model car.

Camera could listen to all signals, and then go thru the features 1 by 1 to set it up, like "press brake now" and then the camera detect the brake signal and save it so the next time the brake is used the signal is detected and the brake indicator is displayed in footage.

I cant see why it should not be possible to calibrate the camera to individual cars, and it would only be 5 - 10 minutes and then the OBD devise undestand the signals your car make in regard to the fjew features displayed in footage.

@jmegner yes that is correct fortunately Lukas are working hard to expand the list of cars that will be compatible with the OBD2 module on various Lukas dash cam models. I am holding out for the 9700 duo which hopefully will be available mid year......Ipol...:).....PS Lukas asked for the make model and year of my car last year in anticipation of the OBD2 module after my lovely lady and I verified the french language firmware update for them

Lukas asked for the make model and year of my car last year in anticipation of the OBD2 module after my lovely lady and I verified the french language firmware update for them

so you're the go to guy for French language translations then ;)

@ jokiin its a joint effort my lovely lady is french I have lived here 24 years now and I am still learning :D but if you are putting a multi language menu into your product and need some help we are here ...............Ipol :cool:

@ jokiin its a joint effort my lovely lady is french I have lived here 24 years now and I am still learning :D but if you are putting a multi language menu into your product and need some help we are here ...............Ipol :cool:

thank you sir, I shall keep that in mind :)

Back