question for the gadget geeks !

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so i ve now ordered a mobile phone that can charge other phones and usb devices - i assume including dashcams, although there is little point to removing and using a dashcam after an accident with a camera phone in your hand !!

However, the phone also has OTG which i am trying to get my head around and as i ve understood it thus far it seems it allows you to connect a cable to the phone ending with a female usb that allows usb sticks etc to be plugged into it and view the files on the stick or whatever, on the phone.

The phone does play h.264 files ....

Does anyone have any thoughts on or has tried this setup to confirm its possible to lift off files to the phone and play them on the phone which would be handy had i a requirement to hand evidence over on the spot....

with OTG you can access other devices and copy files across, not everything is compatible but lots are, we include an OTG card reader with the SGZC12SG so that if you have a compatible Android device you can plug it in and copy files off the SD card onto the phone, doesn't work with every model of phone but the other end of the reader is regular USB that you can plug into a computer

i m hoping the phone recognises the camera as storage whilst charging it and being able to play or copy content...

i m hoping the phone recognises the camera as storage whilst charging it and being able to play or copy content...
Seems to me to be the hard way of doing it as you would have to remove the camera from the vehicle before attaching it to the phone. Removing the SD card would be a lot easier.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to do. :confused:

Seems to me to be the hard way of doing it as you would have to remove the camera from the vehicle before attaching it to the phone. Removing the SD card would be a lot easier.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to do. :confused:
With a mini 0806 it is easier to remove one camera than two microSD cards and if you connect to the camera then you have a dual microSD card reader :) If that works?

With a mini 0806 it is easier to remove one camera than two microSD cards and if you connect to the camera then you have a dual microSD card reader :) If that works?
Interesting concept but I'm sure a third party file manager would be necessary to make that work.

You'd normally get a mount point which you can access and playback files via something like VLC / VideoLAN for Android - with devices with multiple readers like say a 10-in-1 reader or a Mini 0806 you'd get multiple mount points.

When I was on holiday I used this on my Chinese phone and to be honest in the end found it quicker to pop the battery and drop the microSD card straight into the phone and access it that way :)

When I was on holiday I used this on my Chinese phone and to be honest in the end found it quicker to pop the battery and drop the microSD card straight into the phone and access it that way :)
we include the OTG card reader for the SGZC12SG as they use SD cards, for the MicroSD models though we just use a MicroSD card reader as like you say for the non iOS world it's easier just to pop the card in the phone

Ah yeah good point mate, you're always thinking :)

I've got to admit I wish Apple would just let you stick a microSD card or SD card reader in there - they like protecting their little ecosphere too much.

Even my low end work Nokia Windows phone plays back 1080p video straight off microSD cards fine!

I've got a Chinese phone that's native 1080p display I bought 2 years ago ( @Mtz put me onto it actually) and straight off the card it will load and play previews of 6 x 15mbit 1080p files consecutively, I use an iPhone as well but you don't get that kind of ease of use out of Apple

update...

The phone I ordered didn't work out as it had the form factor of a 0ne to one which tends to dig in your palm and feel awkward and detracts totally from user experience..

I have now ordered and tested quite a few and have settled with 2 models, one of which my g/f uses....

The cubot 200 for her as being carried in a handbag the extra weight (175g) is not a problem and it matches cubots flagship model in screen, camera and everyday performance and at £79 is an absolute steal as it blows away all similarly priced and some much higher priced competition... (otg function included).

I went with a black cubot x9 paying the extra £35 for the less weight (123g) more pocket friendly package that takes a full charge in under 2 hours and has 3 times the standby time of the s200 in running kitkat 4.4.4 over the 4.4.2 of the s200 - The SD card from the camera fits straight into a tray on the side of the phone which instantly plays back h.264 . ( The form factor is comfy in the hand, and I find it amusing it looks a bit like an iphone 6 except cubot managed to make it slimmer, not have the camera protruding at the back and it doesn't bend !!! and most importantly the battery is fine for a day !! )

sorted !

Those X9s are really nice mate - it does make you realise how much Apple are pulling your pants down for a phone!

Those X9s are really nice mate - it does make you realise how much Apple are pulling your pants down for a phone!

yep, I really like it and even with wifi and an animated background on constantly the battery holds up - From what I have seen, I don't think the online reviews do either justice as I can find nothing to complain about bar the lack of notification light on the s200, but that's easily solved with an app that flashes screen different colours ...

update...
I went with a black cubot x9 paying the extra £35 for the less weight (123g) more pocket friendly package that takes a full charge in under 2 hours and has 3 times the standby time of the s200 in running kitkat 4.4.4 over the 4.4.2 of the s200 -
Bit off topic here, but are you on 02 by chance?
I was tempted by the Cubot stuff but see the specs do not list 900MHz 3G supported:(

Last edited:
Bit off topic here, but are you on 02 by chance?
I was tempted by the Cubot stuff but see the specs do not list 900MHz 3G supported:(

DELETED AMERICAN BASHING - DashCamman ......

Reply --- the rumour started in AMERICA because the cubot doesn't always work on American networks.. useful information was given to a uk guy who believed he couldn't use a cubot in the uk...

I would suggest American bashing if Carlsberg did it would be to say only an A""""" N could get that so wrong.- in the best possible taste of course.

Cubot works fine on all uk networks and being unlocked its a no brainer...

I chose 3 network on payg 3p calls 2p texts and 1p mb internet and cut down my old sim on t-mobile to keep that number and have the choice of two networks.

( I don't know how 3 do those prices rolling over the credit until its used as they are crazy low and using whats app for video text and picture messages all but makes my monthly bill zilch )

I bought black and decided to paint the inside of the plastic protector case to give keep it looking good in the case...

http://screencast.com/t/lFjMvMPG

Last edited:
Cubot works fine on all uk networks and being unlocked its a no brainer...

I chose 3 network on payg 3p calls 2p texts and 1p mb internet and cut down my old sim on t-mobile to keep that number and have the choice of two networks.
Ahh, In that case you wouldn't be using 900MHz 3G.
I took the spec details from their own website where it lists 900 on 2G but only 850 & 2100 on 3G:(

Yeah the thing with different frequencies for 3G and 4G is a pain in the backside - saying that haven't Three bought O2 now so potentially when they start network sharing it won't be so much of an issue?

3 upgraded to 4g where I live recently and it's crap - I used to get a full 3g signal with over 20Mbps data rate and now I'm lucky to get any signal at all and the data rates are awful. I've had to start using the Three InTouch app just to get phone calls and text messages at home.

Price wise they're great though - I got locked into a rolling one month contract on the One Plan with unlimited everything for 18 quid a month - I've saved a fortune since switching from Vodafone.

Back