Question for those who use the motion sensor.

singlespeed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
For those who the constant power method and the motion sensor, if you park in your garage do you get any false positives? I am thinking of converting to the constant method on my wife's Golf, but the car is parked in our dark garage most of the time so I assume the camera will sit idle nearly all the time. For those that use the camera in this way, what has been your experience?

It's almost flawless. Sometimes it won't catch every part of the motion it's detected. There's a couple of examples where I've captured my neighbour parking in front of me, but the video file starts with him already in front of me, and in the process of getting out. It didn't capture his initial arrival in front of my car.
False positives aren't an issue because on average it'll save 50 seconds of a file. This is common on mine when it detects a flash of someones headlight, which might be only a second or two, but it'll keep a 50 second file of the event.
I work on a government restricted site, so I'm not allowed to use my dashcam on site. When I arrive I pop on the lens cap and the camera stops recording. I'll leave it in this idle state and drive off at the end of the day. Once I'm off site, I remove the lens cap and it continues to record as normal.

I think the motion sensor got tweaked in recent firmware updates. I also park in a closed garage overnight and using previous firmwares I only got about three or four false positives during the night, mostly caused by people inside the house turning lights on or off. But now that I upgraded to the 15mbps calibrated g-sensor firmware I seem to be getting much more false positives.

The good side: the upgraded firmware also records 5 seconds prior to the movement detected, this works pretty well to avoid what lankyduke mentioned in his post. The bad side: I end up using more space in my SD card.

Since I recently switched my 32GB memory card for a 64 GB memory card, I'll stick with the updated firmware that seems to be a bit more sensitive than before.

Which firmware are you on? I thought I was on the most recent and I'm still missing some footage.

Which firmware are you on? I thought I was on the most recent and I'm still missing some footage.
I'm using the 15mpbs version that Niko posted here. The 5-seconds before motion is detected work great for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to ask SungMoon if he can add some type of Smart Parking Mode feature like Vicovation just added in their latest firmware
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...n-detection-has-been-release.5371/#post-63845

This would make it so Motion Detection is only used when the car is not moving.
(so you can keep constant record while driving) It's based on GPS and or G-Sensor data.

I know the Panorama buffers video while idle so some extra time before each event is captured which is great. But some people might prefer to know that recording while driving is constant without fear that being still too long might miss an audio or other event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back