Question for UK users, GPS data used for incident footage?

mpm235

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a couple of questions for United Kingdom users, who have used their Dash Cam footage for incidents involving Car Insurance and/or Police issues.

Did your Dash Cam have GPS data displayed on the footage or not? How important or not was the GPS data to the incident?

I'm trying to decide which Dash Cam to get and whether I need GPS or not. Thanks very much for all replies.
Cheers, Mark

GPS is most useful to embed the correct time and date in the video, otherwise the video could have been recorded at any time/date.

Embedding GPS speed in the video is useful if you want to improve your own driving, probably of no use in court since it is not an approved and calibrated device for measuring speed, in an insurance claim it may speed things up, either for or against you.

No need to worry about displaying a few mph above the speed limit since there is no proof that it was accurate, speed can always be calculated from movement in the video anyway.

Having GPS speed displayed does show that the time and date was GPS time, not a manually set time.

I don't think there is any real advantage to displaying the GPS coordinates, there is normally no argument about where somewhere shown in the video is, and if you were trying to cheat then you could probably create a false overlay anyway. There are normally enough road signs to identify the location.

GPS is most useful to embed the correct time and date in the video, otherwise the video could have been recorded at any time/date.

Embedding GPS speed in the video is useful if you want to improve your own driving, probably of no use in court since it is not an approved and calibrated device for measuring speed, in an insurance claim it may speed things up, either for or against you.

No need to worry about displaying a few mph above the speed limit since there is no proof that it was accurate, speed can always be calculated from movement in the video anyway.

Having GPS speed displayed does show that the time and date was GPS time, not a manually set time.

I don't think there is any real advantage to displaying the GPS coordinates, there is normally no argument about where somewhere shown in the video is, and if you were trying to cheat then you could probably create a false overlay anyway. There are normally enough road signs to identify the location.
Thanks very much Nigel, great reply

Back