Question for VioFo folks or the CEO possibly !!

mrpk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello there, camera i think has potential, lots of issues to resolve and some nice features to add still. My Question is where did you get the features list to be incorporated into the camera from ? Some of the very basic things a user needs in a dashcam without display is ability to transfer files without taking card out or plugging in to a pc.

So, if not mistaken there is a "Bluetooth" button or something for this model. So why did you guys decide to use WiFi vs Bluetooth pairing for the app and for transfer of files ? WiFi does not work the way it should, maybe Bluetooth might. So the question is why was WiFi chosen over Bluetooth ? It's not like WiFi Station mode really works or anything especially when you cannot have space in ssid or special characters in the password, nor settings stay saved on power loss/off for station mode.

Maybe the users here know why the Bluetooth is used for a weird button vs by the app to config and possibly download files ? Don't we already have few buttons to push on the unit itself that we need yet another button to push that is much bigger in size (insert size related thoughts here...)?

Bluetooth was not designed to transfer files and large amounts of data, in practice you can barely get above 4MBps a second transfer with it.

Very good point.

The amount of data written, even after an hours driving is huge, many Gb. Nextbase helped some by writing 2 almost identical files. One high res and one low res. The low res one was forcth9se who wanted to transfer the files wirelessly but those files lacked clarity.

If you want to view the original quality then you have little option to remove the card or dashcam IMO.

That is one of the reasons I opted f9r a dashcam with a solid mount that allows single handed 'lift off' functionality.

Not giving much damn about wifi, i have seen my phone go as fast as 500 mbit doing speed test, but not sure if that is a result of the router or my phone, it was tested on gigabit connections.
but if you could get a 500 mbit connection to a dashcam, you would be able to DL files at speed..

Removing the dashcam to use it as a reader connected to a PC, that is equally slow and you will see read speeds around 1/10 of what your memory card could actually do if it was unleashed in a proper fast card reader.

Maybe the users here know why the Bluetooth is used for a weird button vs by the app to config and possibly download files ? Don't we already have few buttons to push on the unit itself that we need yet another button to push that is much bigger in size
The Bluetooth button is optional. Placed in a suitable location, you can press the button without taking your eyes off the road. You may not be able to do that so easily with the A139 main unit, depending on where it is installed.

Maybe the users here know why the Bluetooth is used for a weird button
The reason Bluetooth is used for the button is that wifi uses far too much power for a battery powered remote control, while Bluetooth Low Energy is designed specifically for that purpose.

Reactions: Mtz
It takes less than a minute to download a 5 minute video from my Viofo A139 via WiFi so I don't see a problem. I know the 5GHz chip sucks so try the 2GHz.

It takes less than a minute to download a 5 minute video from my Viofo A139 via WiFi so I don't see a problem. I know the 5GHz chip sucks so try the 2GHz.
The Viofo A139 has maybe the fastest WiFi of any dashcam, and the 5GHz can work really well, but that speed does depend on the device it is communicating with...

Garmin has Bluetooth but as far as I know, it's just used for signals from the app to start, stop, and turn on a wifi transfer.

Everyone forgot to mention that the Wifi Setting is either 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz. Set it to 5Ghz.

Bluetooth is a very slow technology not meant for large file transfers.

Back