Question on A129 Pro (4k)

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Does the A129 Pro 4K use the same exact rear camera as the A129 Duo?

Does the A129 Pro use same cabling as the A129 Duo or did people swap out their cabling?

Just curious. Keeping my A129 Duo for now, but in future might upgrade.

same rear camera and cable

Good to know. So upgrading is painless for those who have the A129 Duo. I presume the A129 Pro also uses the 3 wire hardwire kit from the A129 Duo, too?

Good to know. So upgrading is painless for those who have the A129 Duo. I presume the A129 Pro also uses the 3 wire hardwire kit from the A129 Duo, too?
Yes, biggest problem is what to do with the old A129 Single after you take its rear camera.

Note that you may need to change the GPS mount rather than use the old one, depending on how old it is. The originals will not communicate GPS data with the A129 Pro.

Also note that the HK3 has been upgraded for the A129 Pro, the older versions may cause a little noise on the audio. Although if you are movie making then it's best to use a dedicated audio recorder anyway, and the noise is not going to be sufficient to affect the quality of the dashcam for evidence purposes.

Yes, biggest problem is what to do with the old A129 Single after you take its rear camera.

Note that you may need to change the GPS mount rather than use the old one, depending on how old it is. The originals will not communicate GPS data with the A129 Pro.

Also note that the HK3 has been upgraded for the A129 Pro, the older versions may cause a little noise on the audio. Although if you are movie making then it's best to use a dedicated audio recorder anyway, and the noise is not going to be sufficient to affect the quality of the dashcam for evidence purposes.

So pretty much sounds like upgrading is a whole new install process if you want everything to work seamlessly. Ya that's a lot of effort involved sigh!

How do you know which HK3 kit you've got? Or was the HK3 automatically upgraded from the one the A1290 Duo Used? And I presume the 1080p Rear Camera GPS Mount would need swapped out, too?

Rear camera does not have GPS! Only the front mount needs to be swapped, and only if the GPS does not work. The cable to the front mount still works so it is not a big issue.

If you try your HK3 then you will find out if the audio noise is acceptable or not, probably it is whichever version you have. Only if you are not happy with the noise do you need to consider a replacement HK3.

Summary:
  • You can just swap the front camera, then if the GPS doesn't work you also swap the front GPS mount.
  • There is a small possibility of some noise on the audio which some people may find annoying and which can be cured with a new HK3.

Rear camera does not have GPS! Only the front mount needs to be swapped, and only if the GPS does not work. The cable to the front mount still works so it is not a big issue.

If you try your HK3 then you will find out if the audio noise is acceptable or not, probably it is whichever version you have. Only if you are not happy with the noise do you need to consider a replacement HK3.

Summary:
  • You can just swap the front camera, then if the GPS doesn't work you also swap the front GPS mount.
  • There is a small possibility of some noise on the audio which some people may find annoying and which can be cured with a new HK3.

Sorry I read that wrong. I was thinking Rear Mount on both. Brain fart. So Front Camera + Mount = Changed. And Possibly the HK3 Kit if it's the old version and static is noticed on Audio. Good to know if I upgrade.

So I have the regular a129 duo setup right now. To recap, if I want to upgrade my system to the a129 PRO duo, I’d have to replace the current gps mount (if problematic but prob better to do so), of course the front camera, and the power cable from my fuse box to the front cam? I can keep my rear cam and the cable that extends from my rear cam to the front cam?

So I have the regular a129 duo setup right now. To recap, if I want to upgrade my system to the a129 PRO duo, I’d have to replace the current gps mount (if problematic but prob better to do so), of course the front camera, and the power cable from my fuse box to the front cam? I can keep my rear cam and the cable that extends from my rear cam to the front cam?
Rear camera and cable are the same, you don't even need to buy them to upgrade the front.

At the front I recommend upgrading everything. Even though the GPS mount and cable might work, they may also not, or be unreliable, it is not worth the risk.

Note that there is a 2K A129+ coming soon, I don't know what your reason for upgrading is, but that may be a good choice, it certainly has a good sensor, only half the resolution of the A129 Pro, but definitely good. Of course then you have to ask about compatibility again.

Rear camera and cable are the same, you don't even need to buy them to upgrade the front.

At the front I recommend upgrading everything. Even though the GPS mount and cable might work, they may also not, or be unreliable, it is not worth the risk.

Note that there is a 2K A129+ coming soon, I don't know what your reason for upgrading is, but that may be a good choice, it certainly has a good sensor, only half the resolution of the A129 Pro, but definitely good. Of course then you have to ask about compatibility again.
I see thanks for the info. I was just thinking about grading and using the a129 setup in another car. I didn’t know about the 2k plus version. any idea why they’re releasing a 2k version when there’s a 4k already out? Better sensor?

I see thanks for the info. I was just thinking about grading and using the a129 setup in another car. I didn’t know about the 2k plus version. any idea why they’re releasing a 2k version when there’s a 4k already out? Better sensor?
The new A119 V3 is outperforming the A129, so this is essentially an upgrade to the basic A129 with twice the detail on the front sensor so that it matches the A119 V3 quality. The 4K Pro version will remain the best image quality, but won't be such a big step up anymore.

Back