Question on Interpolated resolution and How to find bit rate

vsmh96

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi there,

Per the title above I was wondering if I could get some help with dash cams that Interpolate resolution to increase resolution (beyond what is natively supproted). For example : the Yi dash cam, power edition listed here https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-smart-dash-camera-specs supports 1080p (60/30 fps) but can be interpolated to 2304x1296P 30fps [by ISP/Codec Interpolation]. Having read thing about fake 4K dash cams here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/the-list-of-shame-fake-4k-dash-cameras-ultra-hd.33196/

Can the jacked up resolution be considered "fake". also what are its pros and cons ?

Next, how do I find out what bit rate the dash cam is recording videos at? I have read that I need a hex editor to look at the firmware but in the absence of that said firmware, is there an alternative?

I hope to hear from someone soon.

Thank you and warm regards.

the fake ones all use interpolation, that's exactly what you don't want

just view the video file properties to know the bitrate

Can the jacked up resolution be considered "fake". also what are its pros and cons ?
The "jacked up" resolution can not contain any more information than was collected by the sensor, therefore it pointless, or maybe worse than pointless.

Next, how do I find out what bit rate the dash cam is recording videos at?
Either look at the file properties, or for more details you could try MediaInfo.

the fake ones all use interpolation, that's exactly what you don't want

just view the video file properties to know the bitrate

Hi there jokiin and thank you for the reply.

So regardless of whether it is a 4K dash cam or not, interpolated resolutions are "fake" and thus a no no?

What are its pros and cons if any?

The "jacked up" resolution can not contain any more information than was collected by the sensor, therefore it pointless, or maybe worse than pointless.

Either look at the file properties, or for more details you could try MediaInfo.

Great, this answers my questions.

Thank you for the prompt replies

The pros are only in the marketing - some people will pay extra for a camera with "4K" printed on the front, real or not!

Back