Question on the Parking Mode

Mike.A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have set the 0805 up and tested the recording having set all the settings I want. Now I want to be sure I have it set up so that if someone hits my car while it's parked then it will capture the event. So as I understand it if the g-sensor is active then should the car feel the force set (default setting is 2.5g) then it will record for 10 seconds and then shut down. Same also for the motion detector should it pick up sudden movement around the car.

Am I right in thinking that even though the device is powered off it will still power on using the internal battery and record for 10 seconds? I ask because I have tested it by banging on the windscreen and moving my hand back and forth in front of it, yet nothing recorded.

I've tried a few different g shock settings too which brings a final question. Is a lower g sensitivity going to record smaller impact? So 2g will only take 2g of force to set it off but 4g would require more force thus it would take a bigger bang to set it off?

Thanks in advance.

Parking mode needs a permanent live usually, it won't run off the battery. The 0805 doesn't have parking mode AFAIK.

The motion detection only works if the camera is on. Basically it pauses recording if it detects no motion in the video image for a few seconds.

The G-Sensor also only works if the camera is on. If triggered by a g-force exceeding the configured value then it will make the file currently being recorded read only.

If you have Parking Guard on your 0805 then that is what will wake up the camera from off and record for 10 seconds. It is independent of the other settings.

Thanks for your replies. Seems a bit confusing because the manual says parking guard function (optional) so I'm not clear on what it means by optional. I guess only if you have it hardwired so it's always on (I've got it hardwired to cigarette lighter at present)

I think my best option will be to have it always powered but not to start recording automatically. That should then only record if there's a g-shock (I'll probably not bother with motion detector) or if I manually press to start recording. My plan is to record track days but also record any potential damage to my car either out on the road or while parked.

Back