Question re. mounting a VIOFO A119 V3

tymzee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still researching but leaning toward purchasing the VIOFO A119 V3.

One question I have is how easily can the camera be moved from one vehicle to the other. With my previous webcam there was a suction cup mount which was easy to take off and reapply. Looks like this camera has the sticky mount but it's not clear to me how the camera itself attaches to the mount. Is it more/less "permanent" in the sense that it's made to always stay in place, or can the camera be easily detaches from the stick base? Don't seem to cover that particular aspect in any of the reviews I've read.

The viofo have the GPS as a part of the mount, so you will have to buy a #2 mount to have GPS in both cars, other brands like street guardian that is otherwise much the same as viofo have the GPS on a wire.
But they then come with 2 mounts ( a thick for mobilehome vertical glass and a thinner fo sloped windscreens ) so you could do without the GPS in one vehicle, or you would also have to buy a #2 GPS antenna here too.
If you can somehow make the GPS antenna movable you can of course move that around too as you please.
But the SG GPS are meant for sticking to the windscreen, but you could just put it on your dashboard too, just got to remember to have the right side up for good GPS signal.

SG dont have a 1440p camera like the A119 V3 yet, but i think one are in the works, but with the virus ASO no telling when it is due.

The wedge cameras just slide onto the mount on the windscreen, as i recall the newer viofo slide sideways onto the mount where as SG cameras slide down from above so you have to be careful not placing the camera too high on the windscreen.

Looks like this camera has the sticky mount but it's not clear to me how the camera itself attaches to the mount. Is it more/less "permanent" in the sense that it's made to always stay in place, or can the camera be easily detaches from the stick base?
On the A119 V3, it is a bit like hanging you coat up, something that you can happily do every day if necessary, although it is nice not to have to bother! It just hooks on vertically. Some other cameras are not so easy, and some are impossible without then having to readjust the mount to point in the right direction afterwards, but no such difficulties on the A119 V3.

Viofo have a range of mounts available separately, including a suction cup mount for the A119. If you have permanent cars then I recommend sticky mounts for them, they have less vibration issues than suction cup mounts, but for use in random cars the suction cup mount will work well.

The viofo have the GPS as a part of the mount, so you will have to buy a #2 mount to have GPS in both cars, other brands like street guardian that is otherwise much the same as viofo have the GPS on a wire.
The wedge cameras just slide onto the mount on the windscreen, as i recall the newer viofo slide sideways onto the mount where as SG cameras slide down from above so you have to be careful not placing the camera too high on the windscreen.

Ah-- got it. Thanks. As the additional GPS mount isn't that expensive, that may be the best option.

On the A119 V3, it is a bit like hanging you coat up, something that you can happily do every day if necessary, although it is nice not to have to bother! It just hooks on vertically. Some other cameras are not so easy, and some are impossible without then having to readjust the mount to point in the right direction afterwards, but no such difficulties on the A119 V3.

Viofo have a range of mounts available separately, including a suction cup mount for the A119. If you have permanent cars then I recommend sticky mounts for them, they have less vibration issues than suction cup mounts, but for use in random cars the suction cup mount will work well.

The one thing I wonder about the sticky mounts is how hard are they to remove or perhaps reposition if that need arose?

Our previous camera used a suction cup mount and I didn't notice much vibration. Perhaps due to the fact that it was mainly used on our motorhome, but you make a good point as to the stability of the respective mount options.

Thanks!

The one thing I wonder about the sticky mounts is how hard are they to remove or perhaps reposition if that need arose?

Our previous camera used a suction cup mount and I didn't notice much vibration. Perhaps due to the fact that it was mainly used on our motorhome, but you make a good point as to the stability of the respective mount options.

Thanks!
The sticky mounts do not come off easily, and unless you reposition them immediately then you will have to replace the sticky pad.

Even if you don't notice the vibration, a couple of pixels of movement around sunset when exposure times are longer can make all the difference between a sharp image and an image of camera shake making plates unreadable, also more of an issue with higher resolution cameras. The sticky mounts are better, so unless you have a good reason to use a suction mount it is better to stick with the sticky.

No you dont just pull it off, actually you barely pry it off, and prying i would also advise against with a GPS base as it is electronics inside a fairly flimsy case.
So if you want to take one of those off the windscreen you better use the provided piece of string as a string saw,,,,,, and make sure you have your ends near the window cuz the string can also saw thru the plastic housing, so make sure to be parallel with the windscreen when sawing.

When that is done you can finger/ roll off the rest of the sticky pad on the glass with fairly ease, and a little bit of solvent will take care of the rest.

When positioning them you have a few options.

Have the camera on so by looking at the LCD screen or your live stream on your phone if it is a wifi enabled camera, you can see how level you are in regard to the bottom of the windscreen you can see and the A pillars also most often in view at least in cars.
In my car i have a dotted area ( frit ) at the top of my wind screen, and by its pattern i am also able to gauge what is level or not.
If you are a little off it dont matter much due to the dashcams wide angle lens, but for film making you have to look at for long a slightly off image might set off OCD in some people.

No you dont just pull it off, actually you barely pry it off, and prying i would also advise against with a GPS base as it is electronics inside a fairly flimsy case.
So if you want to take one of those off the windscreen you better use the provided piece of string as a string saw,,,,,, and make sure you have your ends near the window cuz the string can also saw thru the plastic housing, so make sure to be parallel with the windscreen when sawing.

Thanks. I'm now leaning toward the sticky option but... if I for whatever reason-- needed to remove the GPS, that's the part that sticks to the windshield, right? If you remove or "saw" off the sticky substance from the GPS, then what? Is there a way to reapply the sticky stuff so you could use it again, perhaps repositioned in another spot or moved to a different vehicle?

Yes viofo have the GPS antenna in the mount, so theirs are a bit thicker than say SG that have their antenna on a wire and then most of us put the antenna itself in the upper corner of the windscreen.

So the SG cameras come with a thick mount but thats just 6 mm or so, and then a thin mount, and this thick mount is often a must use on vehicles like a motor home due to the vertical glass, and also to accommodate the CPL filter that add a little bulk to the lens part of the camera.
But the viofo i recon have a mount that is 12 - 15 mm tall to have room for the GPS antenna inside + some connectors to the camera itself, so with them absolutely no problem with a vertical RV / motor home.

No the sticky pads you can not reuse, but dashcams often come with a spare one or two for the camera and possible GPS antenna, otherwise you can get double sided 3M tape in many places, thats something we testers often use as we move cameras around and in my case when i am done with them donate them to someone, and i have now done that so many times i have to donate to strangers in my area.

You can also get the double sided 3M tape as pads, but most get a little roll you can cut a piece off now and then when you need it.
3M tape are a good thing to have around, like duct tape and zip ties you can find many a use for it if you are a DIY kind of person.

the Wedge shaped cameras like the viofo you can only adjust up and down, it is not possible to adjust it sideways once it is mounted.

People hell bend on wedge cameras, but also on a suction cup mount have used universal suction cups, most often used for radar detectors ASO.
Something like this with a larger surface to stick the camera mount to.

71K69bYtXKL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Yes viofo have the GPS antenna in the mount, so theirs are a bit thicker than say SG that have their antenna on a wire and then most of us put the antenna itself in the upper corner of the windscreen.

So the SG cameras come with a thick mount but thats just 6 mm or so, and then a thin mount, and this thick mount is often a must use on vehicles like a motor home due to the vertical glass, and also to accommodate the CPL filter that add a little bulk to the lens part of the camera.
But the viofo i recon have a mount that is 12 - 15 mm tall to have room for the GPS antenna inside + some connectors to the camera itself, so with them absolutely no problem with a vertical RV / motor home.

No the sticky pads you can not reuse, but dashcams often come with a spare one or two for the camera and possible GPS antenna, otherwise you can get double sided 3M tape in many places, thats something we testers often use as we move cameras around and in my case when i am done with them donate them to someone, and i have now done that so many times i have to donate to strangers in my area.

You can also get the double sided 3M tape as pads, but most get a little roll you can cut a piece off now and then when you need it.
3M tape are a good thing to have around, like duct tape and zip ties you can find many a use for it if you are a DIY kind of person.

the Wedge shaped cameras like the viofo you can only adjust up and down, it is not possible to adjust it sideways once it is mounted.

People hell bend on wedge cameras, but also on a suction cup mount have used universal suction cups, most often used for radar detectors ASO.
Something like this with a larger surface to stick the camera mount to.

Ah yes, duct tape and zip ties-- don't leave home without 'em! (y)

If I go ahead and buy the camera I think that at least initially-- thanks to the great input/advice here-- do some tests with one of the suction cup mounts then settle on a long term plan depending on those early tests. Sorta' like tapping the stones in place before you anchor them in concrete. :)

We will always be here with good and maybe some bad advise too, so hopefully you can make a good decisions on what to do.
I do not like if people want me to recommend them anything particular, my father was the commie,,,, and he still are, but i prefer to just give people the options and knowledge and then let them take the path they feel are right for them.
If money are not too tight with you, you can afford to experiment a little and take chances, but many people can not or will not do that,,,,,, which i think are a strange new thing in our cultures.
Some times you just have to boldly go where a few million have gone before, even if they all turned 180 on their heel and ran away.
The A119 V3 seem like a good performer, and i like the 1440p resolution which i have just tried for the first time with another brand camera, it is a small step up, but it is a step in the right direction i feel.
So now you just have to figure out how to most easy move the camera around between 2 vehicles, or maybe just go to hell with it and get a #2 camera for X- mas.

As the additional GPS mount isn't that expensive, that may be the best option.
I've stuck 3M Grip Lock tape onto the self adhesive tape on the Viofo mount. Then some more Grip Lock tape where ever I want to mount the camera. You can then move it between vehicles easily (no need for second GPS mounts.)

I've done that with my Mobius cameras as well, so I can interchange the cameras as I want.

I've stuck 3M Grip Lock tape onto the self adhesive tape on the Viofo mount. Then some more Grip Lock tape where ever I want to mount the camera. You can then move it between vehicles easily (no need for second GPS mounts.)

I've done that with my Mobius cameras as well, so I can interchange the cameras as I want.

Ah-- I like that solution! That may be the way I go if I end up purchasing this model.
Thanks!

Well, I may have messed up. Went ahead and bought the Viofo A119 V3 but unless I'm missing something it does not have a feature I need, mainly the ability to control the camera via an app. I see Viofo does have the app, but at the same time it does not look like this particular model is supported. (?)

No wifi on that model
Bummer-- totally my own fault of course. As I really need that feature, I'll be sending it back unused. If anyone has any suggestions re. a similar model with wifi I'd appreciate that info.

Bummer-- totally my own fault of course. As I really need that feature, I'll be sending it back unused. If anyone has any suggestions re. a similar model with wifi I'd appreciate that info.

The recently released A129 Plus Duo is very similar to the A119 V3 and has WiFi. If you don't want a rear camera, they also sell the front camera only for a bit cheaper.

Thanks much. I'm returning the A119 V3 and it looks like the A129 Plus is the way to go. Strange, but the page you referenced with the info on the Plus had a link to Amazon, but the link went to the A119 V3. As I wasn't familiar with the functionality of dual camera systems I had started a new thread with questions related to that:

Thanks for catching that. I corrected the page.

Back