Questions about f800 before purchase

Okdpardak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading through the threads and I have a few questions about the f800. Most of them pertain to the hotspot feature since my mobile plan doesn't allow me to use my phone as a hotspot.
  1. Can I change the SSID and/or password of the camera's wifi? I've come across conflicting information about this.
  2. Is the hotspot mandatory for set up? If it is and I connect to my home wifi as the hotspot are there any blinking lights, warnings, etc that will occur when I'm away from my home network?
  3. Can all settings be changed via wifi? If not, what settings are not available when not connected to a hotspot?
  4. Can the hotspot feature be disabled?
  5. There have been a few replies in other threads about thinkware's parking mode being superior to blackvue's. What features make thinkware's parking mode better?
Thanks for the help!

1. There have been a few replies in other threads about thinkware's parking mode being superior to blackvue's. What features make thinkware's parking mode better?
the Thinkware uses three wire power supply so the camera knows when your car is parked, the Blackvue relies on time out from the G-Sensor to decide when to go into and out of parking mode, it relies on motion sensors to record which can be hit and miss also

I've been reading through the threads and I have a few questions about the f800. Most of them pertain to the hotspot feature since my mobile plan doesn't allow me to use my phone as a hotspot.
  1. Can I change the SSID and/or password of the camera's wifi? I've come across conflicting information about this.
  2. Is the hotspot mandatory for set up? If it is and I connect to my home wifi as the hotspot are there any blinking lights, warnings, etc that will occur when I'm away from my home network?
  3. Can all settings be changed via wifi? If not, what settings are not available when not connected to a hotspot?
  4. Can the hotspot feature be disabled?
  5. There have been a few replies in other threads about thinkware's parking mode being superior to blackvue's. What features make thinkware's parking mode better?
Thanks for the help!

The SSID and Password of the camera's wifi can be changed. As the matter of fact, the camera can function in Wifi mode or hot spot mode. Just not both at the same time.

The settings related to the camera can be changed using desktop computer viewer software. The settings related to Wifi must be changed via the app.

Disabling of hot spot feature is relative to your definition of disabling it. You can set the camera to operate in Wifi mode or hot spot mode; however, Wifi or hot spot will be on as soon as the camera is turned on and it cannot be turned off.

Which parking mode is superior ? Both Blackvue and Thinkware have their + and -. Thinkware relies on ignition of car (additional purchase of hard ware cable kit required) and blackvue relies on G-sensor reading (i.e. parking mode ready out of box). Depends on your needs and your preferences, both will do the job quite well with some compromises.

Back