Questions About Materials for Front/Rear Cam with 'Parking Mode'

orbotil

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there, I am quite new to this dashcam thing and would like to wire a front and rear dash cam in my mid-sized car.

Here is what I have so far for materials:
Here are my following questions:
  • Will the 15ft and 6ft cable be long enough to discreetly wire both the rear and front cameras to the fuse box that is under the steering wheel?
  • Will the ferrite core of the cables fit into the headliner?
  • Are ferrite cores necessary?
  • If I use the Lukas Lk-290 will the dual USB cigarette charger work to power both cameras?
  • Is there a way to switch into "motion detect mode" when the ignition is shut off?
  • What angle of cable adapter should I use (up, right, or left)?
  • How would I be able to position the neodymium magnets into the headliner for mounting?

I think this is a shopping list, & that you haven't bought any of it as yet?

You mention parking mode in the title, so this is an important feature for you. In which case why choose Mobius, when you can buy DashCams with buffered parking mode, that will automatically operate when the ignition is switched off?

Mobius can be configured to enter motion detect mode when external power is cut. But it will only do so powered by its internal battery, which will last only 2 hours. You can only record the aftermath of an incident as, without buffering, Mobius cannot record the incident & the preceding moments. If you install the capacitor kit, you lose this functionality altogether, though you can use an external power bank to power Mobius for many hours.

I think this is a shopping list, & that you haven't bought any of it as yet?

You mention parking mode in the title, so this is an important feature for you. In which case why choose Mobius, when you can buy DashCams with buffered parking mode, that will automatically operate when the ignition is switched off?

Mobius can be configured to enter motion detect mode when external power is cut. But it will only do so powered by its internal battery, which will last only 2 hours. You can only record the aftermath of an incident as, without buffering, Mobius cannot record the incident & the preceding moments. If you install the capacitor kit, you lose this functionality altogether, though you can use an external power bank to power Mobius for many hours.

You're right. I'm looking at 2ch cameras and they look like they have everything that I need. It's just that it's not as discrete as the Mobius cam.

I have 2 Mobius cams. They're great, but parking mode isn't their strength. I recently decided I wanted a dashcam with proper buffered parking mode capabilities. I bought the SGZC12RC...

image.jpg

As you can see, the camera is very small & the main unit can be hidden in the glovebox, etc. Two of these would do what you want, though your budget would have to increase.

As you're in Canada, you could purchase from...

http://www.calgarydashcam.com/shop#...X1-REMOTE-CAMERA/p/51013872/category=12977073

Last edited:
I have 2 Mobius cams. They're great, but parking mode isn't their strength. I recently decided I wanted a dashcam with proper buffered parking mode capabilities. I bought the SGZC12RC...

View attachment 14382

As you can see, the camera is very small & the main unit can be hidden in the glovebox, etc. Two of these would do what you want, though your budget would have to increase.

As you're in Canada, you could purchase from...

http://www.calgarydashcam.com/shop#...X1-REMOTE-CAMERA/p/51013872/category=12977073

That looks good. But the Thinkware F750 also looks tempting as I can get it for about 30 dollars cheaper (with two cameras) and it has mobile phone control. Do you know if the SGZC12RC can run off only a single control box? It looks quite cumbersome fitting two of the control boxes into a car.

That looks good. But the Thinkware F750 also looks tempting as I can get it for about 30 dollars cheaper (with two cameras) and it has mobile phone control. Do you know if the SGZC12RC can run off only a single control box? It looks quite cumbersome fitting two of the control boxes into a car.

Two main units required. Here's a photo of two in a Challenger glovebox...

image.jpg

I was tempted by the F750, however, the front camera is considerably bigger than a Mobius, not discreet enough for my liking.

Two main units required. Here's a photo of two in a Challenger glovebox...

View attachment 14388

I was tempted by the F750, however, the front camera is considerably bigger than a Mobius, not discreet enough for my liking.

How did you wire your two cameras? The fusebox in my car is on the drivers side and wiring to the glovebox seems like it would be quite difficult.

Thanks for your help russ331, looks like I'll be trying the F750 first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back