Questions about SG9663DCPRO+

circuits you've tapped are fine, just check the menu settings as suggested, sounds like they needed adjusting

anything Toyota is easy, won't be a problem, I don't think we have date on the 2021 version yet but shouldn't be a problem when the time comes
Understood thank you. I'll try out changing the menu settings first thing tomorrow. Just to confirm though it's not possible to record parking mode for >24 hours right?

I am assuming this given that in the settings I only saw options for up to 24 hours

I only use 1 hour on the timer on my SG9663DR camera, that cover all my shopping, and elsewhere i dont feel a need to do parking mode, but in a pinch i can always up that timer.
My cut off are set to 12.2 Volts cuz thats as low as i would want to go with the doll house battery in my small car,,,,,, even if it is a new battery only a few months old.

And i use low bitrate 30 FPS recording + i have parking G-sensor set to high, though that do not work the way i have my camera thrown into my car, will be better when i move to a more permanent location.

Oh and does anyone know whether the CPL filter is supposed to be put on the front or the rear camera? It just occurred to me that I might have goofed and put it on the rear camera but I have a feeling it is meant for the front camera to reduce glare..

typically only needed on the front camera, we did make the rear camera capable of using a filter as well but most cars don't really need one on the rear

24 hours is the max setting, that's already beyond practical limits of the average battery
I've got what would be considered a very large battery these days, and the best it can do is one lower-performance cam for about 24 hours, and even that is very stressful on my battery. No way a high-performance 2-channel cam is going to go further without extra powering.

Phil

I've got what would be considered a very large battery these days, and the best it can do is one lower-performance cam for about 24 hours, and even that is very stressful on my battery. No way a high-performance 2-channel cam is going to go further without extra powering.

Phil
I see I see. For my own personal curiosity - what is a "very large battery" as opposed to a standard battery? Is it possible to upgrade the size/capacity of a battery in a car or do you just have a car that comes with a larger capacity battery?

Thanks jokiin and Street Guardian USA again for all the replies. Super helpful and informative.

I thought of yet another question if you don't mind. When I hardwired using the SG9663DC hardwire kit I saw there were three cables:
  • Black (for ground)
  • Yellow (for tapping into constant power)
  • Red (for tapping into accessory power)
I am wondering why we need to tap both the yellow (constant) and the red (accessory)?

If, say, I only wanted the camera to be on when accessory power is turned off, would connecting just the red wire to tap into accessory power suffice?

Conversely, if, say, I wanted the camera to be constantly on, then could I connect just the yellow wire to tap into constant power all the time? (I understand that this camera and most car batteries probably have a physical limit of 24 hours or less based on capacity and whatnot from what you all are telling me in this thread, but hypothetically wondering and curious about the purpose of having two wire taps - one in constant, one in accessory)

The original battery in my little car are only 44 Ah, but i replaced it with one a little more Ah.
My constraint was physical battery size in length and with, height i had plenty off under the hood, but without relocating the battery tray in my engine compartment i could not go to a larger battery.

The 2.5 L TD Mitsubishi pickup i drove in the early 00es had 2 batteries, and larger ones around 70 Ah each, i assume the one was just for starting the car and the other one for peripheral electronics.

Most often you can go up a little and stay within or very close to the factory battery size ( physical )
Alternative you can put in a second battery and a charge splitter, this is what RV people have so their batteries for stuff in the back of the RV are insulated from the engine battery for starting the vehicle.
Personally this is what i would do myself if i had a big need for long parking mode, and of course a daily drive schedule that allowed for me to replenish what was lost during parking mode, you can not use parking mode for 23 hours of a day and then just drive for 1 hour,,,,,, or even worse park for 48 hours and only drive 1 hour every 2-3 days.
You can only get out what you put in, so if you dont drive much you have to put a charger on the car, and thats kind of silly and you need to remember to unplug that, and then it is no longer "plug & play" and interaction free which dashcams should be to mitigate user error like forgetting the turn the damn thing on ASO.

Alternative there are also a few that make dedicated dashcam power banks, but they are not super large and at best only provide power for 24 hours of parking mode.
Some of these can be used with this SG camera as i recall.
But even these power packs for dashcams, you have to drive about 1 hour to fully recharge it again, they only charge 10 - 15 A when hardwired, and remember like your phone any battery do not charge full power all the way, towards the end the charge are reduced considerably.

Your local dealer or specialized auto electro guy should be able to advise on how much larger battery you can put in your car, i talked with the battery factory where i got my battery, it is a small factory the last in Scandinavia that make batteries, often for old school classic cars where the owner want a battery just like the original one.

If only i had access to a well equipped shop / garage i would have no problem relocating my battery and make a new tray for a larger battery, my DIY skills are strong as a result of several trade educations and a lifetime of hands on experience.

The +12 V ACC are sort off just the "sensor cable" as i understand the power come from the always on +12V wire, but the ACC one are needed for signaling to go in and out of parking mode.
I use instant switching so a few seconds after i have turned off my car the SG9663DR have changed to parking mode, way faster than i can get my old ass out of my little car. :)

Old school 2 wire hard wire kits rely on either the GPS or G sensor in the camera to change in and out of parking mode, SG have never used this approach to parking mode as it is considered flawed

I see I see. For my own personal curiosity - what is a "very large battery" as opposed to a standard battery? Is it possible to upgrade the size/capacity of a battery in a car or do you just have a car that comes with a larger capacity battery?
My old van has an 80A standard Lead-Acid battery, but I can fit one a size larger. Those are about 50% higher in cost here so it's not worth that to get at best a 15% increase in capacity.

Most of today's cars use the smallest battery feasible to keep weight down and fuel economy up, and many cannot hold a larger battery. But a lot do come with AGM now, which is better for dashcam parking modes, and those can be retrofitted if you don't have one now ;)

Phil

Ah understood thanks for the replies guys.

@jokiin and Street Guardian USA - do you happen to know if this is the latest firmware version? I bought a camera and it came with DCPRO200416V1.17 which seems to be latest if I'm reading it correctly and comparing it to the website's latest version.

IF this is the latest version how can it be so? I purchased from Amazon and I thought only purchasing direct do you get the latest firmware version

Attachments

• IMG_4064.JPG
    IMG_4064.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 4
Back