Questions about the upcoming smartphone app

n3rderk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! New here, been reading and researching for my very first dash cam, leaning very heavily towards Street Guardian. I remember reading somewhere in the forum that Street Guardian is developing their own smartphone app. I had at first dismissed SG in my research because of there only being third-party apps to connect to their devices.

On to my questions:

• Am I correct in understanding that this app will primarily be for downloading the recordings to my phone?
  • I don’t have a computer of any kind, I have no use for one as my tablet and phone have all the functionality I need (iOS devices). Will I be able to update the firmware from the app?

The APP will be like most of them i recon, so you will be able to do settings and DL footage to your devise.

IOS can some times create a little havoc for memory cards and dashcams as it seem to put some hidden files on the memory card when it have been inserted into a Apple product, so you might have to format the memory card in the camera if you have done that.
But as far as wifi connection to a dashcam with a IOS mobile device i don't think there are a issue like that, i am not sure if you will be able to update firmware thru the APP, it can be done but the official SG guys will have to confirm on that one.
you can always go the route of a card reader that plug into your phone to get footage off camera, but it are of course a more troublesome route wifi will be better for the people just with mobile devises.

I am hoping their APP will come soon alongside the new DR model as if you hide its main unit deep in your car wifi will be a convenient way to access it to do changes or get footage off it.
But i have no idea when the APP will be ready, and if a APP for IOS will be released at the same time as a Android one, i have gotten the understanding IOS APP are a bit more problematic to deal with than Android.

Back