Questions prior to purchase

Joe S

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm looking to buy my first dash cam and have decided the sg9665gc has the best mix of price/quality/formfactor.

I have a couple of questions before I take the plunge. I'm looking for a very neat and "factory" look install.

1. What is the size of the cable guard?

2. Is it possible to mount the GPS module over the dotted area of a windscreen (I've already read about flipping the module so the antenna points to the sky)?

3. Is it ok to mount the gps module near the camera (about 5-10cm away)?

4. Is it ok to shorten the GPS cable? Could this affect performance?

5. Will the screen work at all when an av cable is plugged in, or is it routed to the av out the moment the cable is plugged in? I'd like to wire the camera into the screen of my car (it's a Lexus with an AV in) but also have the option of using the monitor on the camera when necessary (e.g. when ignition is turned off) without needing to unplug the av cable.

6. Will street guardian make a next generation model of this camera which keeps a similar shape/size? It seems that their more recent models are either barrel cameras or the more traditional compact camera shape.

Apologies for all the questions. I'm located in Australia if that is relevant :)

Cheers,

Joe.

67ee6d62cd7f060407469c3ef4812190.jpg

576c4c29733a3093664dc1923359ac5d.jpg

5c72fb27e764552f7ebf5d387bb712f2.jpg

a4c48bf7a986c145c2b4e377dd1783d3.jpg

= 95mm

2. Is it possible to mount the GPS module over the dotted area of a windscreen (I've already read about flipping the module so the antenna points to the sky)?

= yes

3. Is it ok to mount the gps module near the camera (about 5-10cm away)?

= yes, ok.

4. Is it ok to shorten the GPS cable? Could this affect performance?

= in theory with right skills of soldering it's can be done, but for regular user this is a challenge. Best if you just tuck away excess cable under the ceiling.

5. Will the screen work at all when an av cable is plugged in, or is it routed to the av out the moment the cable is plugged in? I'd like to wire the camera into the screen of my car (it's a Lexus with an AV in) but also have the option of using the monitor on the camera when necessary (e.g. when ignition is turned off) without needing to unplug the av cable.

= screen will be always OFF if you insert 3.5mm jack into AV input port

6. Will street guardian make a next generation model of this camera which keeps a similar shape/size? It seems that their more recent models are either barrel cameras or the more traditional compact camera shape.

= possibly, but no ETA

Thanks a lot. This info is extremely helpful. I appreciate the time you've put in.

Thanks a lot. This info is extremely helpful. I appreciate the time you've put in.
No problem. We are always here to assist you.

I just finished doing a hard-wire installation of my SG9665GC using a Cell Power CPUSB01. I mounted my dash cam as high as possible to keep it out of sight and it was too close to the headliner to install the supplied cable cover.

This required cutting the length of the cable cover to 58 mm. After scribing a line around the cover and using a scalpel to cut and remove the portion of the 3M double-backed tape I didn't need, a Dremel tool was used to carefully cut the cover. You need to cut slowly in small increments to avoid over-heating the plastic cover. A little sanding was all that was required to smooth out the cut end. It fits perfectly against the back of the dash cam, and the cut end is flush with the edge of the headliner.

One thing I thought was a nice design touch was the alignment notch on the bottom part of the cover (that adheres to the windshield) that aligns it to the previously installed camera bracket. This ensures both are perfectly aligned when the lower part of the cover is installed flush against the camera bracket. There are two pinch tabs and the fastener hole (I didn't need it) to secure the outer cover; cutting off the end of the cover (and losing two pinch tabs in the process) doesn't affect it's integrity at all. Everything is locked in place and there are no unsightly wires. It looks like an OEM installation.

A couple of my friends have checked it out and will be placing orders soon. Great product, superior service and support!

CC Clarke

Last edited:
One last question - how large is the GPS box? :)

quick rough measurement by eye, 35mm x 45mm x 15mm, probably a touch smaller if someone wants to get the callipers out

yep, great support and product, I will be placing an order for 2 more in a few weeks time, one for my mother and a good mate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D SG9665GC 5
klatch SG9665GC 3
dvas SG9665GC 11
D SG9665GC 6
N SG9665GC 108
Back