Questions related to adding a Hotspot plus powering it

isaiah58

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just joined the forum, if this belongs in a different section I understand if it gets moved.

I installed a Thinkware u1000 and am powering it via a recommended OBD kit.

I am trying to establish the best way to keep the dashcam connected to the Cloud.

I have a Sprint family plan which includes 50gb Hotspot a month. I can add a Samsung A11 for free, just $20 extra a month. Much less expensive than a stand-alone Hotspot which would also need a separate plan of $30 plus a month. Any reason to not go with the A11?

Next, so as to not add additional drain to the vehicle battery, I plan to use a power bank. I am thinking a regular, name brand, power bank around 32kmAh. Anker, AUKEY, or Ravpower.

All thoughts and advice appreciated.

I think a phone in hot spot mode, it will eventually shut down the hot spot if there are no traffic ? but i am guessing here i am a extremely casual user of the smartphones i have a intense dislike for.
I would like a hot spot in my car, but here at least you dont have the option to get a clone sim card for use there, cuz on my phone i dont even hit 10% on the data side of my plan,,,, or for that matter the talk side of it.

Though i would not be using it for anything cloud like, not a big fan of anything cloud so i avoid it if i can.
My phone also dont backup the pictures i take in google pictures, and if i get a new phone the 10 contacts i care for i have to enter manually.

I left my current phone on Hotspot, found the setting so it remains on. It has not turned off for 72 hours.

I use a combination of the cell phone service provider, Google and OneDrive to backup almost everything.

Always best to use equipment designed for the specific job you need done. Hotspot devices are made for continuous operation, phones aren't meant for that even if some will do it. I also look at the "what if" side of things; what if running your phone as a hotspot kills it? What if doing that interferes with use as a phone (as most lose their bluetooth and 'handsfree' function when used as a hotspot)? What if your car gets hit while you and your phone are elsewhere? And what if so many people do this that it begins to slow the entire network down?

Very few actually need live-view or real-time uploading. We already have storage of recordings, cams that have a built-in LTE function, and ways we can make our own similar systems. Leave your phone to do what it does best, and let your dashcams do likewise ;)

Phil

With the occasional phone fires i would be hesitant about having one in the car, but then again it is probably the same batteries in mobile hot spots, just not so many of those around so when one catch fire you dont hear about it.
I am thinking maybe switch to 5G internet in the future, then just take your home router with you when you go for a drive, i will be interested in testing that 5G stuff out and i hope i can do that with one of the providers in a store of theirs with a sample unit.

It could also be maybe 5G will keep a phone in my pocket, though i have often said i will ditch my phone when my mom die.

My original post is designed to discuss adding a device that remains in my vehicle. If the concern was only while driving, then I agree that a Hotspot is not necessary.

The core purpose of a Hotspot is access while away from the vehicle. What if someone hits my parked vehicle, then steals the dashcam? Worse, hits me while I am driving then attacks me and steals my dashcam?

Drama aside, I can power a hotspot multiple ways while my car is off. There are multiple hotspot device options.

My dashcam offers a Park Mode with Cloud options. I want to take advantage of this.

What if someone hits my parked vehicle, then steals the dashcam? Worse, hits me while I am driving then attacks me and steals my dashcam?
I don't see those scenarios as being very likely at all, but I do see where they might be possible. Here's my solution- "You've just been uploaded to the Cloud" sign

It is enough to get the reaction you desire even if you're bluffing (which my little sign currently does) ;) As long as they think the video has already been saved elsewhere they will likely leave the cams alone. And there's also mention of the multiple cams helping deter them. Here in the US most people don't know much about dashcams so there is not much chance anyone would 'call my bluff', and for those who really know dashcams they will know it is possible to do live uploads. Plus I have so many cams that they will not find removing them all a quick or easy job. And they REALLY don't want to attack me; laws allow firearm carry here which everybody knows about and many people do :cautious: I also have less lethal options within reach and I can hold my own in a fight if that's pushed on me.

If someone hits your car and doesn't want to be caught, they are almost always just going to drive off immediately; there is no point in them adding to their potential troubles by breaking into your parked car or more worse to them by attacking you physically. If you are truly concerned about those things you can buy secured recorders such as the Police or trucking comapnies use or go through the trouble and expense of DIY'ing such a system (or buying the latest expensive Blackvue cam with it's LTE module).

It's wise to be prepared for problems because if you are ready for it, then it ceases to be a problem :cool:.But there are also limits to what is reasonable- parts have fallen off of airplanes and birds poop while flying but who always wears a crash helmet outdoors to protect against that? :LOL: So for me anyway, I don't worry about the more or most unlikely things, my resources are not enough to handle every possibility anyway and I'd rather cover the likely things better than add to the list of my worries for the least likely things. YMMV.

Phil

I am beginning to agree with not worrying about the Cloud option, at least in park mode. The dashcam dragged my battery too low to start the car. Similar to leaving a dome light on. The expense and trouble to set up a battery array to run everything is not worth it.

A few years ago, someone passed me using a turn lane, clipping me as the cut back to go straight. The police said it was my word against them. I was nervous but after figuring my inexpensive dashcam out, was able to show the officers a several minute clip. The wrote the other driver 3 tickets. I sent the clip to the drivers insurance company, asked 2x the damages to cover my minor pain including a doctor visit.

My initial thoughts here are, what else can I document. My car faces my condominium, thinking I can use Live View in addition to my Wyze cams pointing out from my unit. Or, if away from home know if something happens to my car. Eventually I will figure it out

I use to have a 1080p PTZ camera aimed at my parked car, but the camera broke so now i dont have that and getting a new camera apparently are not high on my agenda even if i liked having that camera as my cars have been vandalized 3 times since i moved here, and that i have not tried before.

First my SUV got keyed along one side, days before i was to sell it.
Then i got my current car and within a few months i had the passenger side window broken, and then i have had a D cell land on the roof of my car making a dent in it.

Last edited:
Back