Quick and dirty way to test for battery issues

drivinglondon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232114551479
Simply put one of these or similar into your power lead, IE 12v socket to battery and power lead from camera into battery.

First make sure whatever one you use will supply output power whilst it is charging, not all do.

It will deliver a constant voltage to the camera and "smooth" out the peaks and troughs caused by engine starts and stops.

You will however need to shut the camera down manually when you have finished with it, or wait for the in circuit battery to drain which could be several hours.

Last edited:
yes some users use the power banks to instead a hardwire kit for parking monitoring.

I'm wondering if these things might be helpful in looking after the battery. I have my Vico Power Plus set to keep the camera running for 6 hours after engine off. Works great for daytime stops, but not really needed at the end of the day. I'd like to have the power applied but turn the camera off, so the battery gets a full charge at the end of every day (instead of using up some of the battery during the automatic shutdown.) Probably not an issue for a new battery, but for one with reduced capacity, regular discharging can be the kiss of death.

Sadly I've learned from experience that whenever the camera goes off bad things happen, so I won't be trying it.

Also several dash cams run on a full 12v so this wouldn't be any good for those as it's only giving out a 5v supply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bill perrill Mini 0806 4