Quick and simple Mobius CPL filter (diy)

soundesciple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DR400G-hd II / mini 0803 / Mobius + A lens.
I was looking for a simple solution to cut down the terrible screen reflections in my ford focus, so i made one out of an old 25mm CPL filter I had bought a while ago for my mini 0803 but never got round to fitting it as i put that camera in the back window looking through dark factory tints.
any way here is what I did.

I removed the filter from the metal ring and got a mobius A lens cap
20140928_133348.jpg

then cut out the inside of the cap (with a very blunt craft knife)
20140928_135042.jpg
glued the lens to the cap and "Bingo Job done".
20140928_141041.jpg
20140928_141208.jpg
(please excuse the pics there off my phone.)

I was surprised at how well it got rig of those air vent reflections.
without CPL
1.jpg
and with CPL
3.jpg

link to cpl filter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121174936781
I will post a video of how it works when we get a bit more sun.

Update on the CPL. I Had a drive out today with the CPL filter on and am quite please with the amount of reflections it removed for a cheap bit of glass and a lens cap. uploaded a sample to you tube. and am very please with this little camera. All I need now is a mount and to decide where to mount it.

Last edited:
Update on the CPL. I Had a drive out today with the CPL filter on and am quite please with the amount of reflections it removed for a cheap bit of glass and a lens cap. uploaded a sample to you tube. and am very please with this little camera. All I need now is a mount and to decide where to mount it.
CPL filter must be rotated to desired angle to get rid of unwanted reflection how did you manage to do it since mobius don't have a display?

Well done!

Thanks. I just need somewhere to put it now I have the Blackvue DR400-HD up front and I like the parking mode and GPS, and the 0803 in the back that has not let me down yet so I think I will just have a play about with the Mobius for a while and do some time laps videos till the X2 becomes available.

Thanks for info, i got to do the same later.
Glad to help.
Heres two more helpfull apps for setting up your Mobius to phone.
"OTG status."
"Mobius usb config"
Both can be downloaded from google play and come in handy if you run into connection problems, and for altering Mobius settings while out and about.

Maybe a stupid question, but does this also work for the wide-angle 'B' lens version? I haven't received my Mobius yet, but as far as I have seen the 'B' lens sticks out of the case and is not flat like the 'A' version.

If your on about the cpl? As far as i know the B lens has a slightly deeper lens cap so you would need to purchase the B lens cap and all should be good.

If your on about the cpl? As far as i know the B lens has a slightly deeper lens cap so you would need to purchase the B lens cap and all should be good.
Thank you. I'm not sure wether the Mobius comes with a lens cap fitted or not. But I'll certainly give this simple but effective DIY project a go, the CPL filter almost doesn't cost anything at all...

CPL filter must be rotated to desired angle to get rid of unwanted reflection how did you manage to do it since mobius don't have a display?
You could take the filter off and look through it with your eye, find the best position and then mark the top so that you always know in future which way up it goes. Probably easier and more accurate than using a small screen.

You could take the filter off and look through it with your eye, find the best position and then mark the top so that you always know in future which way up it goes. Probably easier and more accurate than using a small screen.

I do that now as the A lens cap has a lanyard attatchment hole so when i got it in the correct postion i marked it at the hole. Now when i put it back on i just line the hole up with the mark on the body of the camera.

And since i have capacitor version of Mobius i think i cannot use those OTG/android systems, i will do it this way then.

And since i have capacitor version of Mobius i think i cannot use those OTG/android systems, i will do it this way then.
You should be able to, as long as you have the 'USB data port charging' option enabled in the setup. It could be possible that your device does not supply enough power, but this varies from device to device. I'd suggest to just try it out and see if it works.

^ Sound easy in theory but when i tried this i could never get rid of the reflections thats why i went the android way. But you can also go the pc way if your mobius came with an AV/power cable. If not and the above dont work for you! you can buy one.
https://joovuu.com/gb/mobius-action-camera-accessories/47-mobius-tv-out-cable.html

Totally agree. Seeing the reflection eliminated on screen is a positive way of setting it up for sure.

^ Sound easy in theory but when I tried this i could never get rid of the reflections

I think it may have something to do with the focal length as every time I tried by eye I was focusing on reflections 2.5 - 3 ft away, and every video I checked still had reflections. But when I used the OTG cable I done it in the car on the dashboard were it sits for driving (temporarily) so about 2ft away from reflections. First video I checked after that was good.
I also noticed there is a very small margin when turning the filter (a couple of degrees either way) between a clean and not so clean capture.

Back