Quick release from mount

• Thread starter Thread starter Richard Ayrton
  • Start date Start date
R

Richard Ayrton

Hello, I've pretty much settled on a Mobius for my first dash-cam. Everything from the price through to the quality tick my boxes.

I drive a Citroen C4 Picasso with a large panoramic windscreen. Discretion is going to be lost with most dash-cam's I would imagine as there is no trim, or sun shielding near to the sweep of the wipers to help hide the mount and camera. I have to accept it goes under the rear view mirror or on the dash board it self - and will be reasonably obvious.

Reading various reviews and watching heaps of videos on Youtube, the Mobius looks very steady in it's mounting sleeve. I was wondering if it pushes out of the sleeve fairly easily when needed to? I will need to be able to remove the camera when the camera is parked up etc. I was thinking of using an adhesive mount on the windscreen. Should the camera push out, I will then need to ensure enough clearance from the windscreen.

Many thanks.

Welcome to DCT. For Mobius mounting tips see...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/

The cradle prevents Mobius sliding out via 2 plastic lugs. The lugs can be filed to adjust how easily Mobius can be removed. It's a matter of judgement in deciding when to stop filing ... it's easy to overdo it. For more details click on the following link then scroll down...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170905&postcount=2

even without filing they're quite easy to remove

I cut a piece of steel to the size of the square hole in the mounting sleeve and glue it in. I also glue two neodymium magnets from Maplins on the inside of the mobius housing (using a capacitor leaves just enough room for the magnets). I shaved off the four small bits that hold the camera in the mounting sleeve. The camera is then held in place in the mounting sleeve quite well which is attached to the car with velcro. My setup is hanging from the plastic cover of the windscreen sensors (2014 Mazda 6) but you can do the same on the dashboard. Removing the camera is a matter of disconnecting the power lead and a quick lift near the lens end to break free of the magnets.

Read through the mounting thread (cave, pretty long) but for me the above works best.

I cut a piece of steel to the size of the square hole in the mounting sleeve and glue it in. I also glue two neodymium magnets from Maplins on the inside of the mobius housing (using a capacitor leaves just enough room for the magnets). I shaved off the four small bits that hold the camera in the mounting sleeve. The camera is then held in place in the mounting sleeve quite well which is attached to the car with velcro. My setup is hanging from the plastic cover of the windscreen sensors (2014 Mazda 6) but you can do the same on the dashboard. Removing the camera is a matter of disconnecting the power lead and a quick lift near the lens end to break free of the magnets.

Read through the mounting thread (cave, pretty long) but for me the above works best.
Nice, very creative

I find it easier to just unscrew the whole sleeve and cam, instead of dealing with the little tab things.
the magnet thing is cool too. :)

Thank you guys - love the Scosche magnetic mount!

I bought the Scosche mount after seeing unni's post and it works great!

Also, when I had the car windows tinted, I had a small piece ( 9in x 5in ) fitted to the windscreen to help hide the camera, I just stuck the Scosche mount to the tint and it really helps to hide the camera.

I clipped the two lugs with nail clippers (shhhh, don't tell the wife), the cam slides out with just a little force.
I also have the cam mounted on a cycle helmet mount with the base firmly glued to the raised black dots area so I can also slide the whole lot out sideways.

Back