Quickest/easiest way to remove 3M adhesive tape from windshield?

Rick Needham

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119S, Old Shark 1080P, G1W-B (dead), Elecwave EW-D200
Like the title suggests, what is the quickest and easiest way to remove a GPS mount from the windshield attached with 3M tape? I don't want to damage the mount in any way as I need to box it up and return it along with a dash cam. Previously, all my dash cams were suction cup mounted.

Last edited:
Like the title suggests, what is the quickest and easiest way to remove a GPS mount from the windshield attached with 3M tape? I don't want to damage the mount in any way as I'm need to box up and return a dash cam.
Some use string, floss then saw between the mount and window until it starts to loosen, then you can pull it off. I use a small plastic flat trim tool and carefully start at a corner slightly twisting side ways and pushing. The mount will give way and you can then pull it from the adhesive. After removal you can then simply push the adhesive with your fingers rolling off of the glass. Then use alcohol and remove any sticky substance that remains.

If you have a blow dryer, that is by far the easiest! Point it from the outside of the vehicle and the adhesive literally peels away after it's heated up.

If you have a blow dryer, that is by far the easiest! Point it from the outside of the vehicle and the adhesive literally peels away after it's heated up.

Do this WHILE the GPS mount is still attached to the windshield? Or do you mean afterwards to help remove the sticky residue?

Do this WHILE the GPS mount is still attached to the windshield? Or do you mean afterwards to help remove the sticky residue?

Do this to take the mount off - won't damage the hardware whatsoever. Apply heat back and forth for about 5 seconds, then try and peel it off. If it's not loose enough, do another 5 seconds.

This method usually doesn't leave any residue behind but if there is, they're much easier to come off with heat as well.

I got it off quite easily. I used a combination: dental floss and a handy Tupperware plastic scrapper. I'll attach a picture of the Tupperware plastic scrapper shortly ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
boilers Dash Cam Discussion 11
Back