QVIA AR790 No WiFi after Firmware Update

TomDee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

I updated the firmware in my QVIA AR790 today and now it won't turn on the WiFi or the WiFi light? The left blue GPS light comes on solid and the right ADAS red light flashes but the center WiFi light does NOT turn on and I can't find the SSID listed in my smartphone on power up.

I used the latest firmware of August 2020 AF 1.0.4 and did it twice to see if it just didn't take, but after looking at the SD card, it is recording but no luck connecting on my phone? I also see that the config file allows me to make changes from the viewer app on my windows 10 laptop.

I have tried pressing and also holding the WiFi button but no luck there either and there's NO sounds whatsoever either.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Is it possible to go back to the original firmware?

No, not yet as I was going to do a search for it. Are you familiar with this unit? I don't care about the firmware version, I just want to get this to operate again.

Thanks for any info...

you should be able to roll back if you can find an older firmware, email the seller if you can't find it, they should have a contact higher up the support chain that can get it for them

Ok, I will give it a shot...

I'm surprised no one here has had an experience with this?

Thanks for the help!

Hi and I appreciate this is a response some time after the orginal post but I have only just found a similar issue with my Qvia [2 channel] AR790-S that I am picking my way through.

The firmware version on installation was AF 1.0.1 and for reasons that I am not sure of the unit managed to pick up AF 1.0.4 but for an AR790-M. Now, this could well have been me messing around with the SD card on my Desktop PC and Qvia Viewer but back in May or June 2021 I also had my iPhone start telling me that the AR790-S was unable to connect to the internet using Wi-Fi when it was starting up and gave me an option to connect via mobile data. After I selected 'Yes' (after many times selecting 'No') I lost a load of functionality; including Wi-Fi connection to my iPhone. I am now wondering whether the Unit had tried to upgrade the firmware automatically although I cannot see any information to suggest it could, so this is just speculation.

The latest firmware version I have found is AF 1.0.9 which I managed to install after a fair bit of messing around. In short I copied the firmware directly to the SD Card having re-formated it using my Desktop PC.

Once the SD Card was re-inserted in to the AR790-S it took about 45seconds to set up then started operating with no difficulty. All three of the indicator lights flashed on and off before a solid red, then solid blue GPS light appearing.

I then took the SD Card out of the AR790-S and used the Desktop PC Qvia viewer to fiddle with the settings and activated 'Wi-Fi on' in the 'Wi-Fi Start Mode' Setting on the 'Additional' tab. This was a bit of good progress as it did at least get the Wi-Fi turning on when the AR790-S started up having re-inserted the SD Card in to the unit.

I don't know if the sequence is important but when using Qvia Viewer on the Desktop PC I insert the SD Card in to the Desktop PC first, open Qvia Viewer, check one of the movie files is working then open Settings. This seems to be the most reliable way to get to the current settings on the SD Card.

For a few moments then I can connect to the Qvia App on my iPhone but it only seems to stay fixed for a few seconds before losing the connection. After that the AR790-S does not appear in my iPhone Wi-Fi settings. If I then press the Wi-Fi button on the side of the AR790-S the same thing happens. Connection holds for a few seconds but then drops.

As an aside now I have turned off the Wi-Fi Start Mode Setting as it was forcing the AR790-S in to Parking Mode upon activation of the Wi-Fi at start up.

Qvia themselves were less than helpful; their Support Team exchanged a few emails with me until establishing I had purchased the unit from a UK based supplier they no longer do business with. Nothing sinister there I might add; local company with an excellent reputation and for whom I am a happy and repeat customer.

Whilst the iPhone viewer is not reliably functional or stable the AR790-S is properly recording footage whilst moving and parked with full access via the Qvia viewer on the Desktop PC. Not ideal as I have to take the SD Card out to view footage/monitor functionality but reassuring that everything appears to be otherwise working correctly. Overall I am still really pleased with the kit although I would very much like more stability from the App and using the Wi-Fi connection from my iPhone.

Hardware stats if that is of use or interest are:

iPhone XS
IOS 14.7.1
App Version 1.5.1
Qvia [Front and Rear Camera] AR790-S
Firmware Version AF 1.0.9.
Desktop PC on Windows 8.1
Qvia Viewer on Desktop PC Version 0.8.2.0

If in the meantime anyone has found a solution to this I would love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Back