QVIA AR790 Question

TomDee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

New member here!

I recently bought a Lukas QVIA AR790 16GB FHD 2ch Car Black Box Recorder DashCam /ADAS WiFi [A Type] but I am having issues getting the GPS to work so that the ADAS system will calibrate. The seller is no longer on eBay, and I have tried finding answers on the web to no avail. I cannot get the GPS light to turn blue or purple as it says in the sparse manual?

I have a couple of questions if someone can answer them?

1. What is the [A Type] as this is identified as mean Vs the [B Type] I see others listed as? I'm hoping I didn't get scammed!! I bought this specifically because it had the added feature of the driver alert system.

2. Does the rear camera have to be connected to get the GPS to function? I haven't had time yet to install it as I need a good full day to take the car apart in order to run the rear cable and only had time this past weekend to get the front camera installed.

Thanks for any help!

Tom Dee

No one here has an answer, or even a guess? I'm desperate to figure this out otherwise I have to return it in 2 days for a refund.

Anybody????

Thanks

try powering it up outside the vehicle and see if it picks up GPS, that would rule out interference issues from something else in the vehicle, if still no go send it back while you can

if you bought it based on ADAS functionality you might be disappointed anyway, this is not a Lukas/QVIA issue, same goes for any aftermarket ADAS implementation, they're not even close to reliable

Thanks for the reply! Yes I did try it outside of the car thinking it might be a problem with the windshield but that didn't help. I'm wondering now what the A Type means? Have you ever heard of the A Type Vs the B Type?

Also you mentioned that its not a Lukas/QVIA issue? Is that referring to the driver alert functions? I picked this unit because it had good reviews for these functions! I'm really interested in the "car stopped in front of me" feature, so I don't run into them, even though I have never hit anyone driving in 47 years!

Do you have a system you think would be better on all aspects? I like this because it's small and hard to see and I don't need a screen to look at. The WiFi connection is great and so is the video!

If you think a different manufacturer or model is better, please let me know. I don't mind spending the extra money to get a quality product!

Thanks again for your advice!

Tom Dee

try powering it up outside the vehicle and see if it picks up GPS, that would rule out interference issues from something else in the vehicle, if still no go send it back while you can

if you bought it based on ADAS functionality you might be disappointed anyway, this is not a Lukas/QVIA issue, same goes for any aftermarket ADAS implementation, they're not even close to reliable

the ADAS functions that are built in to some vehicles are pretty good, the aftermarket ones vary from moderate to useless, try as they might there's just too many variables to get it to work accurately and without input from the vehicles computer it's almost impossible to get any kind of accuracy

the challenge when looking at reviews for this type of thing is trying to find a review that doesn't have an affiliate link attached to the review

Thanks for that information!

The main reason for buying one of these is the video capture as living and driving through the Philadelphia metro area, there's soo many idiots it's amazing I haven't been hit more than twice in 47 years of driving. Plus I get to record and save whatever happens to other vehicles around me. Should make great YouTube videos!!

The second feature I want is the front collision avoidance so I don't accidentally hit someone in front of me as the traffic is horrendous around here. I've come close a couple of times but never hit anyone!

The FVAS is important too as I sometimes try and do paperwork at long lights and sometimes I don't see the light change.

The lane drift isn't that important but would be handy if it worked.

I would love to hear anyone's recommendations on a better unit!

Thanks againto everyone. I'm going to refer my friends here for sure!

Tom Dee

the ADAS functions that are built in to some vehicles are pretty good, the aftermarket ones vary from moderate to useless, try as they might there's just too many variables to get it to work accurately and without input from the vehicles computer it's almost impossible to get any kind of accuracy

the challenge when looking at reviews for this type of thing is trying to find a review that doesn't have an affiliate link attached to the review

I had earlier used Lukas LK-7950WD GPS (without OBD) and found no problem at all for the GPS fixing but other problems like LED segments not properly displayed.
After starting the engine and the dashcam turning on, then driving , the speed was shown on the LED display of the dashcam. At the time, I used the firmware version 2.3

But recently, I replaced it with QVIA AR790 2 CH installed in the same car with the same film but hardly get the GPS fix. It's kinda annoying to me because I really need the GPS feature.
Currently, the firmware I am using is 3.2.3 (the latest version I guess).

Back