Qvia R935 bricked after firmware update attempt

jiggyfl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just remounted my dash cam after windshield replacement and it was working great, but I noticed there was a newer version available. Now it constantly reboots, showing the qvia warning screen and then says drive safely, then again every 30 seconds or so. Sometimes it'll say recording failure 3.

What are some things I can try to get the firmware to load on to the dash cam and get it back to life?

I read about bin files? I don't see any in the firmware I downloaded from their web site.

How should they be on the sd/micro sd card? I have dual card capability. In the folder or just the files that are in the folder alone?

Are you using Mac or PC? If you're using a PC you can download the Qvia R935 Plus viewer on Qvia's website. If you are using a Mac, there is no Qvia viewer for the R935. But as a substitue you can download the AR790's viewer for Mac that will work for the steps below.

Try the following and see if it fixes your camera:

Recording error 3 is usually due to the memory card needing to be formatted.
  1. Download, install and open the Qvia viewer for the R935 from Qvia's website
  2. Power down your camera
  3. Take both the large and small SD card out of your dash camera and format both cards using the Qvia viewer
  4. Insert both cards back into the camera
  5. Power back up the camera and see if this fixes the problem.
If this doesn't fix the problem:
  1. Power down the camera again, take out only the large SD card and open it up using your computer (not the Qvia viewer) and delete all files/folders on the SD card.
  2. Download and unzip the firmware file from qvia's website.
  3. Once unzipped open the folder entitled (R935_NORMAL_ENG_V7.3.2c) and you'll see four files.
  4. Drag and drop these four files (firmr9x5, Lukas_Etc, qrdata2.txt, & ubifs) onto the large SD card you just cleared on your computer.
  5. Eject the SD card and place the card back into the camera and power up.
Please let me know the outcome of the steps above and feel free to ask me any questions!

I initialized both cards and saved the settings to them and I got it to start speaking Korean, then after it went on with reboots and the same message I changed some settings and it started saying drive safely in English. Just rebooting only still.

I loaded the update on both cards, it seems to pull the files off the large card and not the micro. Only rebooting still.

When I try the second method it seems to reboot a few times silently.
Now with a full size 2gb card and the update files loaded it seems to be coming back, "do not turn off the power"
Now it said drive safely five times. Seems like it's back into the loop.

After a couple more I'll check the card soon to see what's left on it, previously it would leave the "Lukas_Etc" file only and pull the rest off the card.
Still just rebooting with the same update card. Maybe 10 times now.

Lights flash back and forth then purple, then blue solid with the warning screen and it speaks drive safely.

I'm not seeing an actual format button on the viewer. Where is it? I only see the settings, initialize is in there and save to add the config file to the card.

Formatted in fat32 on windows bootcamp on my mac. The smallest cards i have here are 2gb and 32gb which can be put into fat32, my main card is 128gb which I'm not using for this now because it can't be formatted to fat32.

Is this the Qvia R935WD or the Qvia R935Plus? It sounds like you've loaded the firmware version for the R935Plus onto the R935WD.

If it is in fact the R935WD: I've uploaded the most current firmware version onto our Dropbox which you can download below. Could you please clear all the files off of the smaller SD card and insert it back into the camera. Download the zip folder for our Dropbox link below and unzip and load all the files only to the larger SD card. Insert it back into the camera. Please let me know what happens.

I got it. I found that firmware version online on witness auto cam. On the box it says R935G. It is a dual camera, non wifi model. I put the files on the large card and it came on!

Running on 7.1.1, the previous version was 7.0.9, purchased two years ago
Inserted both cards and formatted. Set up all my settings on the device and it seems to be back to normal, not sure what changed with the firmware since there's no list of the updates over time.

So it seems like i was trying the wrong software then, maybe the "plus" model is different and came out after mine. Too bad there's no later version for my device.

Back